Throughout spring summer, charge the car overnight for 100% charge and usually gives estimated range of around 210 miles.

Now it is a bit colder, 100% is only showing range of around 130 miles when fully charged.

Surely the weather shouldn’t have such a wild affect on the range ?

Nearly due it’s one year service
Never mind the miles use and watch the charge used percent.

If you think about anything mechanical then it all needs an optimum temp to work correctly. Diesels are far Inefficient at warm up. We've got a motor that will be efficient when it's warm. Tight bearings etc. Battery chemistry is the same except all the pixies are far more cheery like we are in warm weather. In warm weather the battery heating will be off, motor at an agreeable temp so the stiction is nigh on nill, in winter it will be far higher. And you've got the heater on, other electric bits etc that put a high demand on a lethargic pixie powered battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does zeroing the trip recorder affect the predicted range?
I don't understand how this works?
I have 2021 model, and now 2 1/2 years old, was 263km first year or so, now always 248km fully charged. Have zeroed both trip meters , and made no difference, still 248km.

When I bought the car in August, I asked the dealer to guarantee that I could do 220miles in midwinter (visiting elderly relatives) without worrying about having to recharge. He said the MG4 trophy long-range wouldn’t do this but the new Extended Range version would. The premium price was daunting but I decided to go for the ER.

I did this journey on Sunday - not quite mid-winter temperatures - but a good test. 100% battery gave a 252 mile range at start. The journey was 90% M1/M25, mainly at 70mph but dropping to 50 for roadworks for about 20 miles altogether. AC on all the time and lights for the journey home. At the end, the battery had 30 miles left and I’d driven 200 miles. So the dealer just about got it right. However, there was a bit of range-anxiety. Halfway home I began to think that a motorway closure and major diversion could be worrying, so I switched from Normal drive to Eco adding about 10 miles to the predicted range.

If I could I’d set a default ECO drive mode. Maybe MG could add this option in a future software update.

Last edited:
When I bought the car in August, I asked the dealer to guarantee that I could do 220miles in midwinter (visiting elderly relatives) without worrying about having to recharge. He said the MG4 trophy long-range wouldn’t do this but the new Extended Range version would. The premium price was daunting but I decided to go for the ER.

I did this journey on Sunday - not quite mid-winter temperatures - but a good test. 100% battery gave a 252 mile range at start. The journey was 90% M1/M25, mainly at 70mph but dropping to 50 for roadworks for about 20 miles altogether. AC on all the time and lights for the journey home. At the end, the battery had 30 miles left and I’d driven 200 miles. So the dealer just about got it right.
Maybe the sales person is the new GOM 🤣.

I did this journey on Sunday - not quite mid-winter temperatures - but a good test. 100% battery gave a 252 mile range at start. The journey was 90% M1/M25, mainly at 70mph but dropping to 50 for roadworks for about 20 miles altogether. AC on all the time and lights for the journey home. At the end, the battery had 30 miles left and I’d driven 200 miles. So the dealer just about got it right. However, there was a bit of range-anxiety. Halfway home I began to think that a motorway closure and major diversion could be worrying, so I switched from Normal drive to Eco adding about 10 miles to the predicted range.

If I could I’d set a default ECO drive mode. Maybe MG could add this option in a future software update.

What's the aversion to stopping for a quick top up?

After an overnight charge to 100%, the Guess-O-Meter showed 232 miles. I travelled 102 miles up the M5 and had 55% battery left. For the return journey, Sat-Nav minus GOM gave an end of journey range of 37 miles, so I went for it. On the journey, this value started to drop, and when I got to junction 15, it was down to 17 miles I would have left.

I got home with 10% battery and 21 miles. That'll do me. :)

Hi

I have recently bought an MG ZS EV Exclusive (Reg Sep 2020). I like the car but I am surprised how low the actual range is. In this mildly cold weather, I can barely get 70 miles on the Motorway, before it needs to be charged. In the city, the range is totally unreliable, one minute shows 70 miles, and after 5 minutes it drops to 40. Also, every morning, it loses 10 miles, and if I turn the heating on to warm up the car, 20 miles are gone.

My question is, are those ranges normal? What range do you normally get on Motorways and in the city in the winter?

Many thanks in advance.

Are you talking about estimated range or miles covered for real?

This gives a pretty good picture of real world economy:

Less than 70 miles certainly seems harsh.

Thanks, I wanted to hear from people who are using the car in this weather. I have read these articles and these made me buy the car, but what I am getting is miles off from what is being said in those articles.

This gives a pretty good picture of real world economy:

Less than 70 miles certainly seems harsh.
This will be assuming 0% degredation

We are getting about 120miles on a full charge. November 2020 Exclusive.

What is your full charge reading. Is the battery balanced. How do you charge.

All have bearings on the range.

My 2020 ZS EV is doing about 130 miles over the past couple of days (between 60 and 70 on 50%) on a mix of motorway and A roads. This morning I only put the heater on to take the chill away then turned it off until it felt chilly again and had 4.1mi/kWh for the journey. I tend to stick to 67 mph using ACC on motorways and maximise regenerative braking the rest of the time. SOH is 92.5% and a balancing charge is done every 3-4 weeks.

Hello everyone & happy new year to you all. Recently finding that putting our MG ZS EV on charge overnight am getting less range from it. Only got the car in May 23 and it mostly charged to 243, on one occasion going up to 267! But the last three full overnight charges at home on our 7kW charger are only giving between 200-215.
Any thoughts anyone, could I be doing something wrong here?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom