Tesla Supercharger Issue MG5 LR

MG5 Trophy - Trentham Tesla Super Chargers. Attempted with two chargers, seemed to be stuck in a communication loop with the car, didn’t start charging.

Anyone know why this attempt at charging didn’t work?

MG5 Trophy - Trentham Tesla Super Chargers. Attempted with two chargers, seemed to be stuck in a communication loop with the car, didn’t start charging.

Hi well this is what this thread is try to establish as to why The MG5 plus others wil not charge on Tesla superchargers so might I ask you which type of Tesla chargers you tried as it would be helpful to know what I mean by which type where they V2 V3 or V4 the first 2 you need the Tesla App to use the V4 can be used with just your credit or debit cards or the Tesla app hope to hear from you soon.
Les

Hi well this is what this thread is try to establish as to why The MG5 plus others wil not charge on Tesla superchargers so might I ask you which type of Tesla chargers you tried as it would be helpful to know what I mean by which type where they V2 V3 or V4 the first 2 you need the Tesla App to use the V4 can be used with just your credit or debit cards or the Tesla app hope to hear from you soon.
Les
It also affects the slow destination chargers, many of which are free to use. Very annoying!

It also affects the slow destination chargers, many of which are free to use. Very annoying!
I believe those have a Tesla and non Tesla mode but other than that if they’re in non Tesla mode they should just work as the A/C charging protocol is too stupid to know it’s an MG

I believe they have two models of the Tesla S.C.’s at Trentham Gardens.
They have a bank of what I believe are the V3 model units ( connection by the App ) plus a very recently installed bank of the newer V4 units.
These V4 units will operate via the App or by bank card.
I have not used these units myself.

I believe those have a Tesla and non Tesla mode but other than that if they’re in non Tesla mode they should just work as the A/C charging protocol is too stupid to know it’s an MG
There's one at a hotel in Hampshire that I used to charge my previous car, an Ioniq, but my 2022 MG5 LR can't get it to start. I saw other cars using it as well, non Teslas.

There's one at a hotel in Hampshire that I used to charge my previous car, an Ioniq, but my 2022 MG5 LR can't get it to start. I saw other cars using it as well, non Teslas.
Weird as the A/C charging protocol is pretty dumb SAE J1772 - Wikipedia article is based around what happens in the US but AFAIK the signaling is pretty much the same here.

Weird as the A/C charging protocol is pretty dumb SAE J1772 - Wikipedia article is based around what happens in the US but AFAIK the signaling is pretty much the same here.
The main difference is that wile the AC J1772 signalling is via deicated wires - cp in particular, the signalling is done over the AC power lines in the same way you can run Ethernet over the mains sockets in the home. This can be very fussy in terms compared to the AC version but both can suffer when either side deviates from the charging protocol. This includes timing between requesting power and actually getting it.

I believe they have two models of the Tesla S.C.’s at Trentham Gardens.
They have a bank of what I believe are the V3 model units ( connection by the App ) plus a very recently installed bank of the newer V4 units.
These V4 units will operate via the App or by bank card.
I have not used these units myself.

Thanks Jeff I will be passing Trentham Gardens myself next week on my way down to Devon so I will pull off the M6 and take a look with my own eyes to see what’s there
Les

Got this message from Tesla UK appears some one is looking into my Email to them about this issue
Les
IMG_6310.png

Hi again everyone involved here I at last got a reply form Tesla UK an e-Mail reply which is below but not of much help to use really.

So I rang them again to again ask the questions I had sent them via email.
Spoke with a lady about the issue she listen then she put me on hold for 15-20 minutes and came back to say and said no the cars that can’t use the Tesla network with V2/V3 will also not be able to access their new V4 units end off.

Not in so many words but she said the issues where with some vehicle manufacturers and where long running but still being addressed.

So it appears it is not the fault of Tesla but MG this I think we already knew.
So I am now going to take this matter up with MG motors again the e-mails are below if you would like to read them.
Sorry not to bring a more positive result.
Les

Dear Sir/madam
My name is Les Burrows I am an non Tesla owner in fact I own an MG5 Trophy a
2022 facelifted model which I’m sad to say will not charge on your V2 or V3 units,and I have tried several times, but you app says vehicle not recognised.

This is now my 3rd attempt to get an answer from you for the following questions.

So my first question is, might my MG5 or other vehicles who currently cannot charge on your V2 or V3 superchargers be now able to charge on your latest V4 Units, as they can be used with or without the Tesla app I believe, by just swiping a payment card.

Question 2 would it be possible for you to indicate in your app at what sites these new V4 units are available for both Tesla and none Tesla owners which could be very helpful I would think.
If this is already in place can you please direct me to where I can obtain that information, as I don’t see it in your App.

Also can you please quote any reason why my vehicle is not able to use your current network which is now open to all. And we thank you for that.

This is the reply I got from them

Thank you for contacting Tesla Customer Resolutions UK / Ireland.

If your enquiry relates to Service Bookings, Ownership Changes, Referral Awards, Online Shop Orders, Energy Products, Charging enquires and Privacy Requests. Please follow the below steps to raise this enquiry with the appropriate team.

Navigate to the Tesla Support Page
· Select the "Contact us" link towards the bottom of the page where you will be routed to ‘Ask a question.’
· Select the topic you require.
· Your selection will present an FAQ page where you may find the relevant information you require. If you require more help, click "YES" to this question.
· This raises an enquiry to the relevant department where a member of the team will reach out to you directly.

There is also an option to chat online with our support team via the Tesla website. Please head to the Tesla Support Page where you will find a speech bubble in the bottom right-hand corner, this will invite you to open a conversation with our Tesla Support team.
You can also speak with our Tesla Support team by phone on +441628 450660. Lines are open 8:15AM- 7.00pm Mon-Fri, 9:30AM –6.00pm Sat/Sun.
Customer Resolutions will not be providing a response to the above enquiries unless received as part of an escalation from the relevant team.
However, if you have a concern, and you have been unable to reach an amicable resolution with your local Service / Sales / Delivery team our team are best placed to investigate your concern and will respond once we have started investigating your case. We aim to respond in 5 working days from receipt of your email, however at times of high demand, this could be longer.

Sometimes, we may feel it is more appropriate to pass your concerns onto local management, who may be best placed to solve your concern.

Unless your enquiry is urgent, please contact us once, as contacting us multiple times will result in delays to response times. However, we will work to respond to all enquires at the earliest opportunity.

Thank you for your patience.

Tesla Customer Resolutions UK & Ireland.

Ive phoned up today a local dealer/service dept.
Where I purchased it no longer exists.
It would appear my service in overdue - nothing has come up on car. Prob my fault but i assumed I would have been sent a letter or text or something.
I asked about the VCC update - the lady said they will only update if there is a 'problem' with the car. I mentioned about the Tesla superchargers but she said she didn't know much about that but didn't sound like that would be a problem with the car

Hi again everyone involved here I at last got a reply form Tesla UK an e-Mail reply which is below but not of much help to use really.

So I rang them again to again ask the questions I had sent them via email.
Spoke with a lady about the issue she listen then she put me on hold for 15-20 minutes and came back to say and said no the cars that can’t use the Tesla network with V2/V3 will also not be able to access their new V4 units end off.

Not in so many words but she said the issues where with some vehicle manufacturers and where long running but still being addressed.

So it appears it is not the fault of Tesla but MG this I think we already knew.
So I am now going to take this matter up with MG motors again the e-mails are below if you would like to read them.
Sorry not to bring a more positive result.
Les

Dear Sir/madam
My name is Les Burrows I am an non Tesla owner in fact I own an MG5 Trophy a
2022 facelifted model which I’m sad to say will not charge on your V2 or V3 units,and I have tried several times, but you app says vehicle not recognised.

This is now my 3rd attempt to get an answer from you for the following questions.

So my first question is, might my MG5 or other vehicles who currently cannot charge on your V2 or V3 superchargers be now able to charge on your latest V4 Units, as they can be used with or without the Tesla app I believe, by just swiping a payment card.

Question 2 would it be possible for you to indicate in your app at what sites these new V4 units are available for both Tesla and none Tesla owners which could be very helpful I would think.
If this is already in place can you please direct me to where I can obtain that information, as I don’t see it in your App.

Also can you please quote any reason why my vehicle is not able to use your current network which is now open to all. And we thank you for that.

This is the reply I got from them

Thank you for contacting Tesla Customer Resolutions UK / Ireland.

If your enquiry relates to Service Bookings, Ownership Changes, Referral Awards, Online Shop Orders, Energy Products, Charging enquires and Privacy Requests. Please follow the below steps to raise this enquiry with the appropriate team.

Navigate to the Tesla Support Page
· Select the "Contact us" link towards the bottom of the page where you will be routed to ‘Ask a question.’
· Select the topic you require.
· Your selection will present an FAQ page where you may find the relevant information you require. If you require more help, click "YES" to this question.
· This raises an enquiry to the relevant department where a member of the team will reach out to you directly.

There is also an option to chat online with our support team via the Tesla website. Please head to the Tesla Support Page where you will find a speech bubble in the bottom right-hand corner, this will invite you to open a conversation with our Tesla Support team.
You can also speak with our Tesla Support team by phone on +441628 450660. Lines are open 8:15AM- 7.00pm Mon-Fri, 9:30AM –6.00pm Sat/Sun.
Customer Resolutions will not be providing a response to the above enquiries unless received as part of an escalation from the relevant team.
However, if you have a concern, and you have been unable to reach an amicable resolution with your local Service / Sales / Delivery team our team are best placed to investigate your concern and will respond once we have started investigating your case. We aim to respond in 5 working days from receipt of your email, however at times of high demand, this could be longer.

Sometimes, we may feel it is more appropriate to pass your concerns onto local management, who may be best placed to solve your concern.

Unless your enquiry is urgent, please contact us once, as contacting us multiple times will result in delays to response times. However, we will work to respond to all enquires at the earliest opportunity.

Thank you for your patience.

Tesla Customer Resolutions UK & Ireland.
Heej Less,

i think it is wise to add to your story the article found in this topic in Swedish and run it through google translate for them. This email is referencing to your personal experience and can be by them used in many ways as it is operator error that is the cause of you not charging while we already know from the article that the problem with the handshake is at MG not using the correct protocol for Tesla.
This makes your story combined with the tesla reply more compelling and send it to MG.

At least that is what i did and i received the update from MG that now makes my MG charge at Tesla. But the dealership needs to go back and forth with MG europe to get confirmation to install the update under warranty. This takes some patience

Hi Jeff couple of things, time and patience I think they have had, I phone MG UK again after speaking with Tesla and was told it is better to e-mail any complaints, which I had already done weeks back so I have just now sent them another mail to explain what I have been told by Tesla and asked for there response.

I’m please you ZS is ok on a Tesla supercharger now please don’t get me wrong have you had a charge on a Tesla unit ?.

As far as I’m aware there was no problem with the ZS after the very early ones thing is our MG4 as no problem charging as i think you know.
some of the older cars there may be some issues with but there shouldn’t be, all EVs should be able to charge on any public charger that is open for public use IMHO and in this case MG4 and the ZS can charge on Tesla so why not the MG5 even the latest model it’s ridiculous in my view.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jeff couple of things, time and patience I think they have had, I phone MG Uk again after speaking with Tesla and was told it is better to e-mail any complaints, which I had already done weeks back so I have just now sent them another mail to explain what I have been told by Tesla and asked for there response.

I’m please you ZS is ok on a Tesla supercharger now please don’t get me wrong have you had a charge on a Tesla unit ?.

As far as I’m aware there was no problem with the ZS after the very early ones thing is our MG4 as no problem charging as i think you know.
some of the older cars there maybe some issues with but there shouldn’t be, all EVs should be able to charge on any public charger that is open for public use IMHO and in this case MG4 and the ZS can charge on Tesla so why not the MG5 even the latest model it’s ridiculous in my view.
Hi Les, my name is Jean-Paul ;-). Yes I drive the mg5 facelift and yes after my service and SW update I went to the supercharger immediately that did not connect before and wouldn't let me charge. And now it does!
A few pages back you can see my screenshot of the tesla app showing i am charging there. Also i got deducted 1 kWh of charge from my bank account.

I am now very satisfied, coming from a Tesla this was my main consideration buying another brand of EV since the supercharger network became open for non-tesla cars. To be frank, Tesla still holds the best experience of long distance travel with their cars on the whole experience of not needing to plan and the car planning the route for you even when conditions change.
Also their rates are far more competitive in Europe than other providers and their chargers are mostly at Good hotels where you can get a good coffee or have lunch.

So get your update done and scheduled, document via email.

Hi Les, my name is Jean-Paul ;-). Yes I drive the mg5 facelift and yes after my service and SW update I went to the supercharger immediately that did not connect before and wouldn't let me charge. And now it does!
A few pages back you can see my screenshot of the tesla app showing i am charging there. Also i got deducted 1 kwh of charge from my bankaccount.

I am now very satisfied, coming from a Tesla this was my main consideration buying another brand of EV since the supercharger network became open for non-tesla cars. To be frank, Tesla still holds the best experience of long distance travel with their cars on the whole experience of not needing to plan and the car planning the route for you even when conditions change.
Also their rates are far more competitive in europe than other providers and their chargers are mostly at Good hotels where you can get a good coffee or have lunch.

So get your update done and scheduled, document via email.
WHOOPIE And a great big thank Jean Paul you have today restored my faith but I’m a little confused by (Update done and scheduled document via e- mail)
You must be the first as others have not had this experience and I can’t understand why not my wife’s MG4 as always worked on Tesla without a problem but a thank you again for the encouraging post my car is in for service on the 23/12 so fingers crossed the only thing I can hope for is the SW update is the same in the UK as in your country
Les

Last edited:
Hi all involved in the thread, here is a copy of my mail to MG Motors and their reply
I wrote.

Dear sir/madam
I know you are already aware of this issue that I am writing to you about, because on the telephone several times I have been told you do.

The issue is in particular the MG5 not being able to use the Tesla Charging network or their chargers that are now open to all vehicles in selected locations across the UK.

This and many owners driving your cars feel very let down, even cheated in some way by you at MG motors UK and your dealership network.

I am the owner of the MG5 Trophy 2022 and as such should be able to charge my car on any charger open for public use, I’m sure on this you must agree, this is now my 3rd MG vehicle, my 2nd MG5 and my wife drives your MG4, with which incidentally there is no issues charging on Tesla Superchargers if we need to, but the MG5 Trophy will not accept a charge from any of the very same chargers, ridiculous,
so I am writing to demand an explanation please as to what the problem is and more importantly what’s is being done about it.

I have spoken to TeslaUK who have said the issue lies with the car your car, I have asked them will their new and latest V4 chargers if they might work being now contactless for payment and they have said No, my car will still will not charge on their units or there network so for myself and hundreds of other MG5 owners on various forums, one of which I am a very prominent member off for several years MGEVs, please give us a fix for this issue as it is costing us time having to wait around for a charger when 20yds away there are several Tesla units not being used and are open to any vehicle, plus there are at many times with cost differences
where we MGEV owners might save some money on charging our vehicles.
I and others are very annoyed at this issue and request it is put right as it should not be like this.

Would you buy a Television that can only be used for certain channels channels I’m sure you wouldn’t, well you have sold us a vehicle that can not be used on all available charging networks.

I shall await your response before I feel I must escalate this matter further.
Regards
Les Burrows

Got this reply yesterday from MG motors
Dear Mr Burrows

Thank you for contacting MG Motor UK Ltd. and I am sorry that your MG5, is not meeting with your expectations.

Unfortunately there are currently no specific updates planned, and your case would not be a priority, unless your car is not able to receive a charge at all, from any source. If it can, then I am sure you can appreciate that the fault does not rest with the car.

I have forwarded this content to our engineering team responsible for this area, and it may be something that they look at in the future.

However, in the meantime, if your car is running its most up to date software, then it will be compatible with the Tesla open network.

Many of the Tesla superchargers, are restricted to Tesla drivers only, and would not be available to MG owners.

I am truly sorry for any disappointment caused.

Yours sincerely

E-mail:
[email protected]

So right at the beginning of my mail I pointed out I was talking about Tesla Superchargers open to all.
But in his reply he points out that many superchargers are restricted to Tesla Drivers only. I can’t believe it.

So Gary smart incidentally is the same guy who I dealt with in 2020 over the Roof rails on the MG5 being for decorative use only and must not carry any load, some of you might recall, took me almost a 6 months to get that issue resolved.
In effect he is saying this time there’s nothing wrong with our cars, so might I suggest we put as many E-Mails as possible in his inbox (e-mail address above ) about this issue and in them mails say who your dealer is and what you have been told by them, some have already mentioned there could be a charge for updates and above Mr Smart says there is no updates planned.

My car is due to go in for its first service in a couple of weeks so for now I will wait and see if anything is done to fix this and if not then it will be escalated as I have said earlier.

So spend 10 minutes drop Gary Smart an E mail and express your concerns. It’s is a same that such great vehicles across the entire range are let down with such stupid problems that should never have existed.
Les

Last edited:
It's not just Tesla chargers, I have the same type of issue with EDP chargers in Portugal. I might give them another try.

I did contact my dealer and their answer was to get a slot booked in for an update.

It's not just Tesla chargers, I have the same type of issue with EDP chargers in Portugal. I might give them another try.

I did contact my dealer and their answer was to get a slot booked in for an update.
Good luck with that and please let us know how you get on.
Les

Quick count up shows 31sites now available to non-Teslas, that’s more than doubled in the last 6 months and I’m sure there is more to come because Tesla’s experimental 15 sites must have worked.
Les

Hi all involved in the thread, here is a copy of my mail to MG Motors and their reply
I wrote.

Dear sir/madam
I know you are already aware of this issue that I am writing to you about, because on the telephone several times I have been told you do.

The issue is in particular the MG5 not being able to use the Tesla Charging network or their chargers that are now open to all vehicles in selected locations across the UK.

This and many owners driving your cars feel very let down, even cheated in some way by you at MG motors UK and your dealership network.

I am the owner of the MG5 Trophy 2022 and as such should be able to charge my car on any charger open for public use, I’m sure on this you must agree, this is now my 3rd MG vehicle, my 2nd MG5 and my wife drives your MG4, with which incidentally there is no issues charging on Tesla Superchargers if we need to, but the MG5 Trophy will not accept a charge from any of the very same chargers, ridiculous,
so I am writing to demand an explanation please as to what the problem is and more importantly what’s is being done about it.

I have spoken to TeslaUK who have said the issue lies with the car your car, I have asked them will their new and latest V4 chargers if they might work being now contactless for payment and they have said No, my car will still will not charge on their units or there network so for myself and hundreds of other MG5 owners on various forums, one of which I am a very prominent member off for several years MGEVs, please give us a fix for this issue as it is costing us time having to wait around for a charger when 20yds away there are several Tesla units not being used and are open to any vehicle, plus there are at many times with cost differences
where we MGEV owners might save some money on charging our vehicles.
I and others are very annoyed at this issue and request it is put right as it should not be like this.

Would you buy a Television that can only be used for certain channels channels I’m sure you wouldn’t, well you have sold us a vehicle that can not be used on all available charging networks.

I shall await your response before I feel I must escalate this matter further.
Regards
Les Burrows

Got this reply yesterday from MG motors
Dear Mr Burrows

Thank you for contacting MG Motor UK Ltd. and I am sorry that your MG5, is not meeting with your expectations.

Unfortunately there are currently no specific updates planned, and your case would not be a priority, unless your car is not able to receive a charge at all, from any source. If it can, then I am sure you can appreciate that the fault does not rest with the car.

I have forwarded this content to our engineering team responsible for this area, and it may be something that they look at in the future.

However, in the meantime, if your car is running its most up to date software, then it will be compatible with the Tesla open network.

Many of the Tesla superchargers, are restricted to Tesla drivers only, and would not be available to MG owners.

I am truly sorry for any disappointment caused.

Yours sincerely

E-mail:
[email protected]

So right at the beginning of my mail I pointed out I was talking about Tesla Superchargers open to all.
But in his reply he points out that many superchargers are restricted to Tesla Drivers only. I can’t believe it.

So Gary smart incidentally is the same guy who I dealt with in 2020 over the Roof rails on the MG5 being for decorative use only and must not carry any load, some of you might recall, took me almost a 6 months to get that issue resolved.
In effect he is saying this time there’s nothing wrong with our cars, so might I suggest we put as many E-Mails as possible in his inbox (e-mail address above ) about this issue and in them mails say who your dealer is and what you have been told by them, some have already mentioned there could be a charge for updates and above Mr Smart says there is no updates planned.

My car is due to go in for its first service in a couple of weeks so for now I will wait and see if anything is done to fix this and if not then it will be escalated as I have said earlier.

So spend 10 minutes drop Gary Smart an E mail and express your concerns. It’s is a same that such great vehicles across the entire range are let down with such stupid problems that should never have existed.
Les
Spent the alloted 10mins and sent a crabby email to the said not so smart person :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom