Tesla Supercharger Issue MG5 LR

It would be interesting to see if the MG's that still can't charge on Tesla chargers work on them or not. (They may be running different software than the ones Telsa themselves manage/own)

You have a good point from the pictures they are Im 99% sure the newer V4 Tesla units which I have tried to use a couple of times in different locations but with out success example Trentham Gardens have both V3 and V4 but neither would work on my FL 5 trophy.
Les

You have a good point from the pictures they are Im 99% sure the newer V4 Tesla units which I have tried to use a couple of times in different locations but with out success example Trentham Gardens have both V3 and V4 but neither would work on my FL 5 trophy.
Les
Hey Les

How did your update yesterday go? Have you had a chance to try it yet?

Les
They probably are the same hardware as the V4 supercharger, but the software may have been customised to fit the requirements of the CPO, so it might not be the same as the software running on the ones used for the Tesla Supercharger network. Only Tesla and the CPO would likely know for sure though.

Hey Les

How did your update yesterday go? Have you had a chance to try it yet?
Hi simorgan 42
Yes update to EVCC was done yesterday car dropped off at O8:00 and got a call at 16:15 to stay the update was now complete and the car had accepted the update so should now all be good.
I was holding off posting about it until I have had chance to try it but as you asked soon as I can I will go and try it and then post the out come with a picture of my paper work which just says EVCC update carried out.
Les

Stop guessing start testing I would say. It is in the uk😁

I agree does anyone live near this charging station ? if so please go try them and let us know the outcome please.
Les

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

Good morning all, so drove this morning to the Trafford Center to try out my Face lifted MG5 Trophy model on a Tesla Supercharger which is open to all makes after my update had been done on Thursday.

When I arrived there I opened up the Tesla App on my IPhone 13 selected the charger which told me to plug in after doing that it said start charging I pressed the button and hey presto it started the charge job done.

I’m giving a shout out and a thank you to the staff at Chorley MG for getting this sorted and once again a big thank you to Miles Robert’s who took this issue up with MG Motors on our behalf to get a fix thank you Miles.
Les

Picture below of invoice show no charge was incurred to myself.
Les
IMG_6768.jpeg

IMG_6763.jpeg

IMG_6764.jpeg

IMG_6769.png

The Tesla units at the Trafford center are the V3 type I will try to use a V4 over the weekend as the V4 can be used without the APP.
Les

Last edited:
Good morning all, so drove this morning to the Trafford Center to try out my Face lifted MG5 Trophy model on a Tesla Supercharger which is open to all makes after my update had been done on Thursday.

When I arrived there I opened up the Tesla App on my IPhone 13 selected the charger which told me to plug in after doing that it said start charging I pressed the button and hey presto it started the charge job done.

I’m giving a shout out and a thank you to the staff at Chorley MG for getting this sorted and once again a big thank you to Miles Robert’s who took this issue up with MG Motors on our behalf to get a fix thank you Miles.
Les

Les
View attachment 25028

View attachment 25029

View attachment 25030

View attachment 25031
Thanks for the follow up. I have mine booked for the 2 April.

Les

Les
View attachment 25028

View attachment 25029

View attachment 25030

View attachment 25031
Hi Les - A long awaited, but much appreciated result for yourself.
Miles with help from his colleagues at MG and the team at Chorley group have provided clear evidence that this update IS possible, as a number of other dealers have said it can NOT be done.
After the service manager at my local dealer said only 4 weeks ago, that NO MG model can use the non Tesla network.
I think he needs to brush up on his produce knowledge or look for another job TBH.
Thanks for the update Les, this will expand your choice of chargers when you visit your son in the future now (y).

Yeh thanks Jeff extend my choice of chargers and for the longer journeys I do several times a year down to London and Devon to see family it’s goodbye to
Instatvolt @ 85p /kWh
Gridserve @ 79p
Ionity also @ 79p
Osprey @ 79p
Yes it goodbye to all of them as much as possible and thank you Tesla for far cheaper charging cost when on a road trip I am quite happy to pay Tesla somewhere one the region of 32-55p on average for their excellent chargers and reliability, with hopefully more to open up in due course.
Les.

EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA.

Just in case you have not noticed I was using Tesla V3 units at the Trafford centre; I will try to use a V4 over the week end.
Those being the type that can be used without an APP.

Last edited by a moderator:
My MG5 LR (pre facelift) is coming up to its second service. Is the software tweak for Tesla charging applicable to pre FL ?

Thanks Les will ask for it to be done and see what happens.
If you are going to approach your dealer in order for them to carry out this update, then can I kindly suggest that you go armed with the info provided on the forum by Les and other members.
Otherwise you may receive a negative response to your request 🤷‍♂️.

Thanks Les will ask for it to be done and see what happens.

That’s no problem in case you haven’t read #472 copy of emails Miles Robert’s got from MG and he said on the podcast that non FL MG5 LR can be done along with the FL car the update required is to the EVCC and the dealers know all about it now. Any costs incurred can be reclaimed from MG by the dealer.
Les

I took our 2022 (pre-FL) MG5 LR Exclusive to Wayland MG, Newbury today for its second annual service. When I arrived I asked if there were any software updates (ref the Tesla charging issue), but the service receptionist told me there were none.

When I collected the car I had a bit of a surprise, as the service invoice included "carried out software update ref charging issues" (free of charge). Again the service receptionist seemed rather vague about it, but after checking this forum it seems it will fix the Tesla supercharger issue.

I won't be in a position to try it out for a few weeks, but it sounds like good news. Thanks all who have pressurised MG to sort it out.

Last edited:
I took our 2022 (pre-FL) MG5 LR Exclusive to Wayland MG, Newbury today for its second annual service. When I arrived I asked if there were any software updates (ref the Tesla charging issue), but the service receptionist told me there were none.

When I collected the car I had a bit of a surprise, as the service invoice included "carried out software update ref charging issues" (free of charge). Again the service receptionist seemed rather vague about it, but after checking this forum it seems it will fix the Tesla supercharger issue).

I won't be in a position to try it out for a few weeks, but it sounds like good news. Thanks all who have pressurised MG to sort it out.

Hi and thank you for your post as there has been quite a few on here now who have had a similar response from some dealers about pre FL cars but your dealer in Newbury appears on the ball which is nice to hear well done.
Les

My pre-FL LR is going into Bulldog Twyford for the update.

They are fully aware of the software update but advised that it isn't always 100% successful on pre-FL cars for Tesla chargers.

Hi again everyone here so long trip down to London today for the show tomorrow so great time to try some V4 TESLA SUPERCHARGERS with my MG5 trophy.

You may have read in my post above #546 that I tried a Tesla V3 charger last week at the Trafford centre after my software updates and that worked fine plugged in opened the Tesla App and started a charge with no problems.

I said I would try out the newer Tesla V4 units and I did that today but hit a problem at first, so 16 Tesla V4 units near to Luton Airport just off the M1 so I arrived there with only 11% left in the battery having left home on 100% and driving M6 and M1 in terrible conditions 5 degrees temps most of the way with a headwind and driving rain so having now done 175 miles I arrived quite low state of charge much lower than I like to be but wanted to try these Tesla V4 units.

So first of all none of them where fitted with card readers. My son, a Tesla owner and driver, says many are like that. So back to the Tesla App open that up choose the number of the charger and it said plug in and press start charge this I did and the app said charging will start in around 2 minutes but it didn’t !

So I moved to a different stall did the same and after waiting 5 minutes still nothing, so put my thinking cap on and leaving the car plugged in I got back into the car and switched it on put it into ready mode then went in to the infotainment screen for the charge settings pressed start charging and it did less than a minute later.

So it does work I will try some more next week on my return journey home
Les

IMG_6785.jpegIMG_6784.jpegIMG_6783.png

The picture above shows I put 27.714 KWs into my five and the cost was £13.50 0.49ppkw so my journey to London around 230 miles in total with that and my charge at home the night before cost around £18.00 so who says running an EV is not cheaper than a ICE vehicle, that would need around 4.1/2 gallons of that smelly stuff saying 50 mpg to do the same trip at around £7.50 per gallon £30.00 I’m I going back to ICE not a chance
Les.

Right, I have just had my MG5 FL in for the door latches on the passenger side to be replaced.

I had contacted them in advance with info from this forum about the Tesla issue and asking for the specific EVCC update.

Anyway after the usual ‘you can only charge Teslas at Tesla chargers’ and ´you know you have to use the app’ conversations at the desk, the service manager has sent the following email after a series of others: (needless to say door latches now working… Tesla charging not so much)…

´Good Afternoon

MG have come back to me and at the moment there is no repair / fix for this currently.

They are working on liaising with Tesla to come up with a software fix which could be different to that available on the continent.

They will release a TSB (technical service bulletin) for this rather than a recall, so I would ask if you contact the service team in a month or so to see if this is available.

Unfortunately as it is not a recall MG will not write to customers in relation to this future update

Kind Regards’

Anyone heard this particular nonsense?
(And this was after I had specifically pointed out the fix that others here have managed to have successfully applied…)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom