Two week trip to Spain, just a few thoughts

timeades

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Well after a 3500 journey, in which the car behaved impeccably on the whole, I thought I'd note down a few things I found.

So lets start with the car, as I said on the whole it was very well behaved with a couple of minor exceptions. ACC doesn't like overtaking lorries and I had many occasions when it threw the anchors on going past them but a quick dab of accelerator soon fixes the issue. Sign recognition can be turned into a game as MG have localised the software for the UK so it just can't deal with 80, 90, 120 etc and just throws up random numbers as long as it's 70 or less so we played guess the Icon a few times. LKA is LKA I never bother turning it off as it doesn't bother me but it was no more or less brusque whilst we were away. Apart from that everything was good.

Charging: In France as we were on Motorways all the way down this isn't an issue, we passed very few service stations that didn't have charging, be it Shell, Ionity or Engie there were others but not used. Price wise Engie were the best and had the best charging stations. Shell/Ionity were a similar price to the UK and a similar set up. 4/6 chargers with no cover but normally close to the services.

Spain was a little different, in Madrid there are 4 Tesla sites, one with 20 chargers, so I mainly stuck to those. Out in the sticks it's a bit different, now Repsol are the largest filling station network in Spain and are rolling out chargers to most of their filling stations but unfortunately they are unusable for someone from the UK as you can't currently sign up for their app as they haven't yet included the ability to add a UK phone number and they don't have another mechanism to verify you as you sign up. But I wasn't that worried as I had my Electroverse & Chargemap cards and the app showed me I could use it with the Wenea, Iberdrola (mainly hotel carparks) and EPD (mainly supermarkets & shopping centres) networks. Now whilst the later is true of Wenea it's not true of Iberdrola as only some sites are compatible but Electroverse doesn't differentiate between the ones you can use and those coming online soon. Iberdrolo app is in English but sign up takes a bit of negotiating and getting passed the ID stage was fun but a work around exists (don't choose Foreign choose Other then Passport and input a mythical 9 number ID). EPD you have to be carful with as the apps often have the wrong information on speeds and I didn't come across one that was 24/7 because most get locked behind gates from 10pm. So for rural Spain I would suggest sticking to Wenea.

Lastly the things I found useful: I purchased a Fulli auto Toll token and that saved a lot of time, effort and in Spain money as EV's don't get charged on Toll roads but if you go through the credit card machine operated ones it's quite difficult to decipher how to select an EV. I'd also signed up to Chargemap and paid for one of their RFID cards and this saved me on a couple of occasions when the Electroverse card couldn't be read but it also works with Total and a couple of operators Electroverse don't cover so it was handy

Well after a 3500 journey, in which the car behaved impeccably on the whole, I thought I'd note down a few things I found.

So lets start with the car, as I said on the whole it was very well behaved with a couple of minor exceptions. ACC doesn't like overtaking lorries and I had many occasions when it threw the anchors on going past them but a quick dab of accelerator soon fixes the issue. Sign recognition can be turned into a game as MG have localised the software for the UK so it just can't deal with 80, 90, 120 etc and just throws up random numbers as long as it's 70 or less so we played guess the Icon a few times. LKA is LKA I never bother turning it off as it doesn't bother me but it was no more or less brusque whilst we were away. Apart from that everything was good.

Charging: In France as we were on Motorways all the way down this isn't an issue, we passed very few service stations that didn't have charging, be it Shell, Ionity or Engie there were others but not used. Price wise Engie were the best and had the best charging stations. Shell/Ionity were a similar price to the UK and a similar set up. 4/6 chargers with no cover but normally close to the services.

Spain was a little different, in Madrid there are 4 Tesla sites, one with 20 chargers, so I mainly stuck to those. Out in the sticks it's a bit different, now Repsol are the largest filling station network in Spain and are rolling out chargers to most of their filling stations but unfortunately they are unusable for someone from the UK as you can't currently sign up for their app as they haven't yet included the ability to add a UK phone number and they don't have another mechanism to verify you as you sign up. But I wasn't that worried as I had my Electroverse & Chargemap cards and the app showed me I could use it with the Wenea, Iberdrola (mainly hotel carparks) and EPD (mainly supermarkets & shopping centres) networks. Now whilst the later is true of Wenea it's not true of Iberdrola as only some sites are compatible but Electroverse doesn't differentiate between the ones you can use and those coming online soon. Iberdrolo app is in English but sign up takes a bit of negotiating and getting passed the ID stage was fun but a work around exists (don't choose Foreign choose Other then Passport and input a mythical 9 number ID). EPD you have to be carful with as the apps often have the wrong information on speeds and I didn't come across one that was 24/7 because most get locked behind gates from 10pm. So for rural Spain I would suggest sticking to Wenea.

Lastly the things I found useful: I purchased a Fulli auto Toll token and that saved a lot of time, effort and in Spain money as EV's don't get charged on Toll roads but if you go through the credit card machine operated ones it's quite difficult to decipher how to select an EV. I'd also signed up to Chargemap and paid for one of their RFID cards and this saved me on a couple of occasions when the Electroverse card couldn't be read but it also works with Total and a couple of operators Electroverse don't cover so it was handy
Yes! Here in Spain autopistas are free to EV's and also many regions in Spain allow Ev's to park free and use bus lanes and there are many chargers installed by local councils that are free. Within 11 klm of me there are 2x3.5kw, 5x7kw and 3x22kw chargers that are free there are probable more that I'm as yet, unaware off.

I have downloaded the Electroverse app but when I looked to see what the coverage is I noticed that all the Iberdrola chargers near me are priced at 70 pence per KWH in their app yet in the Iberdrola app it is 45 cents per KWH. So I suggest being carefull with this app and if possible download the actual app for the charger to check the price as that is price gouging at its finest at twice the price, marked up.

Last edited:
Yes! Here in Spain autopistas are free to EV's and also many regions in Spain allow Ev's to park free and use bus lanes and there are many chargers installed by local councils that are free. Within 11 klm of me there are 2x3.5kw, 5x7kw and 3x22kw chargers that are free there are probable more that I'm as yet, unaware off.

I have downloaded the Electroverse app but when I looked to see what the coverage is I noticed that all the Iberdrola chargers near me are priced at 70 pence per KWH in their app yet in the Iberdrola app it is 45 cents per KWH. So I suggest being carefull with this app and if possible download the actual app for the charger to check the price as that is price gouging at its finest at twice the price, marked up.
Out of all the networks I preferred Wenea as they were the most trouble free and the app works well, I did use Acciona as they were the chargers in Chapinaria where my partners mother lives and they were OK. Enel were quite good too, I used a couple of them.

A well written post with good information, did you pre-plan all your charging stops based on your travelling plans, or did you set off and charge on the fly using available apps?

Apologies I missed that bit out. I just used A Better Route Planner, great for planning the stops but has quite a few shortfalls as a satnav when you’re not on motorways and it really suffered in Madrid as it couldn’t cope with the multiple splits in off ramps.

Last edited:
You also need a premium subscription with ABRP for it to integrate with Android Auto (and I assume Apple Carplay); if you have your phone in a holder and use it's screen then ABRP satnav probably works as-is.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back