V2L - vehicle to load adapter / cable

Correct,

Correct, the cable just attaches to the car's charge port. There is a little bit of electronics in the type 2 to tell the car it's attached, but nothing spectacular or that warrants the outrageous prices being asked.
what does a little bit of electronics mean? do you have more details or a close up photo

what does a little bit of electronics mean? do you have more details or a close up photo
A 420 to 470 ohm resistor, that's all. You can easily make one yourself, as I have done, for about 70€ - 80€ inc a brand new Type 2 plug and EV cable (from Ali) or you can pay EV Cabes something around 180€ to make one for you.

This video will show you how to do it, if you're feeling adventurous:

A 420 to 470 ohm resistor, that's all. You can easily make one yourself, as I have done, for about 70€ - 80€ inc a brand new Type 2 plug and EV cable (from Ali) or you can pay EV Cabes something around 180€ to make one for you.

This video will show you how to do it, if you're feeling adventurous:

John, how did you attach the high current cables (line, neutral and earth) to the pins in the Type2 connector? EV Cables have a very nice battery powered hydraulic crimp tool, costing about £750 which is beyond my budget! The PP and CP wires can be soldered because they don't carry any significant current, but L, N and PE should really be crimped.

John, how did you attach the high current cables (line, neutral and earth) to the pins in the Type2 connector? EV Cables have a very nice battery powered hydraulic crimp tool, costing about £750 which is beyond my budget! The PP and CP wires can be soldered because they don't carry any significant current, but L, N and PE should really be crimped.
I let the manufacturer do it an ordered one of these, the only thing to do is change the resistor in the Type 2 plug (solder) and add your choice of Schuko, BS 1363 or CEE socket on the free end.

I have also now seen people have bought second-hand Type 2 charge cables via ebay etc. and chopped off the charge point end, then added the outlet socket of their choice which in some cases may save a few pounds over buying a cable from new.

Screenshot 2022-04-04 at 15.54.46.png

I let the manufacturer do it an ordered one of these, the only thing to do is change the resistor in the Type 2 plug (solder) and add your choice of Schuko, BS 1363 or CEE socket on the free end.

I have also now seen people have bought second-hand Type 2 charge cables via ebay etc. and chopped off the charge point end, then added the outlet socket of their choice which in some cases may save a few pounds over buying a cable from new.

View attachment 7758
Thanks John - that makes sense.

Antwort von MG per Mail: Der V2L-Adapter kann für 269 EUR bestellt werden und sie empfehlen keine ausländischen Adapter für V2L-Zwecke
MG reply via email: The V2L adapter can be ordered for 269 EUR and they do not recommend foreign adapters for V2L purposes

[ Moderator: added Google translation to English ]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hallo.Wo bitte gibt es dieses Kabel für diesen Preis? Aktuell liegt der Kaufpreis bei ca.480 Euro brutto.
Hello. Where is this cable for this price please? The purchase price is currently around EUR 480 gross.

[ Moderator: added Google translation to English ]

Last edited by a moderator:
This might be totally impossible, but could you modify a type 2 charging cable to be both a V2L and charging?
That would be handy as it would save buying 2 cables when the car arrives :)

This might be totally impossible, but could you modify a type 2 charging cable to be both a V2L and charging?
That would be handy as it would save buying 2 cables when the car arrives :)
Theoretically if you had switchable internal resistors that would be possible, but you would never want to have the switch in the wrong setting.... I know it wasn't a serious question. 😉

If you made a cable like that i Would Hope the charge is intelligent enough that it Would not Try to charge.

Also, you Would need an adaptor from the type 2 to a normal socket in the opposite end to make it work

I’m getting everything for my cabel.
I bought a charging cable secondhand, 49€ and then I will a CEE on the other end.
I have ordered
0.25W 470kohm (470k)
0.25W 470ohm (470R)
1W 5% 470kohm (470k)
1W 5% 470ohm (470R)

With one should I use?

I’m getting everything for my cabel.
I bought a charging cable secondhand, 49€ and then I will a CEE on the other end.
I have ordered
0.25W 470kohm (470k)
0.25W 470ohm (470R)
1W 5% 470kohm (470k)
1W 5% 470ohm (470R)

With one should I use?
All the info require is contained in this video.

0.25W 470kohm (470k)
0.25W 470ohm (470R)
1W 5% 470kohm (470k)
1W 5% 470ohm (470R)

With one should I use?
Use 0.25W 470ohm (470R)

It will likely have these stripes:
yellow, purple, black a space then brown or gold, or
yellow, purple, black, black, space then brown.

It will be the smaller of the two. If the larger 1 W version fits, it will work just as well electrically, and might be a tiny bit more robust than the smaller one. But really, use whichever is the most convenient.

The 470 kΩ resistors are nearly open circuit (1000x more resistance than required), and won't work in this application. But they will likely have cost less than 1% each of the shipping.

Resistor-470-Ohm-5.jpg

1649564581345.jpeg

You can now buy a V2L cable (for the 2022 MG ZS EV) from evcables.co.uk in a range of cable lengths, cable colours and socket types.

Pls can you indicate the voltage and frequency from the socket. Greatly appreciated

I made a V2L cable and it works. Thanks to DIY V2L for the details.
I took a Type 2 connector and cable from an EVSE.
I cut out the 680 ohm resistor (between PP and PE) and replaced it with 440 ohm (2x 220 ohm in series).
At the other end of the cable I connected CP to PE with a wire link.
My MG ZS recognised the cable and let me switch on discharging.
The 40W light bulb illuminated.

EDIT: I've just discovered that CP doesn't have to be connected to PE. It works with CP left disconnected!
Hi, Thanks for this excellent investigation. I was thinking, if you already have a 680 ohm resistor in the cable you could add 1.5K ohms in parallel and as the resistance reduces when you have two resistors in parallel that would look like about 467 ohms to the car (less current would go through the 1.5K resistor so it could be a lower rating too).

you could add 1.5K ohms in parallel
Yes, if that's convenient.

(less current would go through the 1.5K resistor so it could be a lower rating too).
The resistor is only going to have about 4V across it, so using P = E²/R it will dissipate only about 35mW (0.035 W). So power rating is not an issue in this application.

I can't believe that 'EV cables' are charging people £186 for these cables. that's terrible.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom