Which charger / energy provider

I’m new to all this and so many questions. I am pretty sure I already have a commando socket in my garage by looking at the big three pin round connector on the link you posted.

Does this mean I can just buy the Ohme Go charger and plug it in my garage without the need for someone to actually install it? Cheers.
I don't know the answer but I'm having one fitted rightly or wrongly by my electricity provider. They contacted the National Grid to make sure the cables in the road can supply an EV charger and they also came and replaced the 60amp main supply fuse with a 80amp one so the charger could work at its best.

A Commando socket is basically an industrial 230 VAC single phase power socket. These are generally rated to 16A (whereas domestic sockets are rated to 13A max. and the max. continuous current is 10A).

So the Ohme charge point would provide up to 3.7kW charging whereas a "granny" charge cable from a domestic socket would only provide 2.2kW.

Edit: Just read the link and I see that the Ohme offers 7kW charging.

I’m new to all this and so many questions. I am pretty sure I already have a commando socket in my garage by looking at the big three pin round connector on the link you posted.

Does this mean I can just buy the Ohme Go charger and plug it in my garage without the need for someone to actually install it? Cheers.
There are two types of commando socket 16A and 32A the Ohme EVSE uses the 32A.
You really should use an interlocking socket and have protection on it.

There are two types of commando socket 16A and 32A the Ohme EVSE uses the 32A.
You really should use an interlocking socket and have protection on it.
Thanks for that. Just checked the code on it and appears to be a 16A so not doable for an EV. What is an interlocking socket?

Funnily enough I emailed Ohme asking if I can just plug the Go into a commando socket. I didn’t mention the ampage or interlocked as it was before I saw your message and they’ve replied just saying yes it’ll work! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Interlocking means if it has power to it you cannot unplug it with 240V mains still on it.
Defo not interlocked then. Thanks for that. At least I know the simple plug in way isn’t an option unless i get it changed which will end up costing just as much probably.

I’ll get my sparky on the case. Cheers.

maybe slightly off topic but also on topic!
i have a podpoint solo 3 latest at home and it refuses to commumicate with my mg zs 2019
it never had the granny charger when sold, so i kept the one from my hyundai ioniq 28kw and that refused to charge it as well
though my tesco podpoint and chargeplace scotland charges fine
i have bought an orginal MG granny charger but until i get car back next week i wont know

in process of having 4 recalls done as not done before sold car ( downside of buying from motorpoint as opposed to main dealer

from what ive been told,
The recall updates are
SA015
SA016
SA017
SA020
and also a door wiring loom

had car 2 weeks.. been on my drive 2 days unable to charge it and 12 days in mg glasgow awaiting recalls to be done
ill let you know how it pkays out when car is back but

i would not recommend a podpoint!

what colour is commando socket? blue or red? or yellow

Incorrect. if you call them (or send them a message on twitter) you can sign up no problem! The website states it’s probably best to stay where you are - but that applies to the general population, not ev drivers!

I can guarantee you can switch (I’ve become a bit of an expert on this subject over the past 6 months), and I personally know of at least 300 people who have switched. Give them a call and you’ll be surprised.

Use a code too and you’ll get £50 credit sign up bonuses on your account too (as will the person who’s code you use).

If you have an ev and an ohme, it’s a no brainier to be on either go or intelligent.
I have tried to talk to them on numerous occasions and now given up. They seem to be unable to confirm whether they will link to current smart meter unless you sign over first. Also they do not do dual fuel. Every time I have worked out total KW’s used in the house and the cheap car rate at night only works beneficially if you are doing about 15000 miles per annum given that daytime household usage is more expensive. Or am I missing something?

I have tried to talk to them on numerous occasions and now given up. They seem to be unable to confirm whether they will link to current smart meter unless you sign over first. Also they do not do dual fuel. Every time I have worked out total KW’s used in the house and the cheap car rate at night only works beneficially if you are doing about 15000 miles per annum given that daytime household usage is more expensive. Or am I missing something?
Here you go, this will help to see if your smart meter will link:

https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk/

You can also use one of the numerous apps like Hugo, Bright or Loop and if you can get 30 min readings you should be fine.

You can get gas with Octopus, it’ll either be the variable rate (which is the same everywhere), or you could go to gas tracker, which tracks the next day wholesale gas price and it fluctuates daily up to a cap octopus have set - but as the cap for that is now 22p, come winter it won’t look very good - at the moment it’s tracking at about 6p/kWh for gas so well below the government price cap, but when demand increases, it won’t be lower than the 22p (although the government support will bring it down to 18p).

Depending on usage, you only need to drive about 5000 miles for it to be beneficial, less if you load shift appliances too.

Quick maths based on my own usage to show this point.

So I’m putting 28kwh into the car at 7.5p twice a week at night which is £2.10. If I I was SVR (@34p) that is £9.52.

I use 8 kWh per day in the house - 2kwh of these are washing machine and dishwasher - I put these on during the cheap rate so cost £0.15, if it was SVR it would be £0.68.

Then I use 6kwh at 40p which is £2.40, if it was SVR it would be £2.04.

So total cost usage for me is £2.10+£0.15+£2.40 = £4.65 per day (I charge) for 36kwh which averages at 12.66p/kwh.

If it was SVR at the exact same usage it’s £12.24 for 36kwh which obviously averages 34p/kWh.

Now if I average this over the week, I would use 104 kWh 2 days at (36kwh and 5 days at 8 kWh) if that’s the SVR (28p) it would be £37.44.

With octopus go it’s (4.65*2)+(2.55*5) = £22.05 which is an average rate of 21.2p.

So total savings over the year of £800.28 - based on the current SVR rate.

Obviously it depends on your own usage, but if you want to try my spreadsheet calculator to see how it would work out, you can download it freely at the below link. Or, if you need a hand you can answer a quick few questions and I can plug it in my end for you! :) let me know if you need a hand with it!

Time of Use Tariff vs SVR July 2022 Prime V4.1 copy 2.xlsx

Attachments

• 6A0A368B-2CA4-4599-8B07-5CD77A6F4D86.jpeg
    6A0A368B-2CA4-4599-8B07-5CD77A6F4D86.jpeg
    262.8 KB · Views: 61
Nope Zappi isn’t supported (yet!). So it’s either car is compatible or charger. So if you had a Tesla and a Zappi you’d be fine. But as the MG isn’t compatible, you’d need a compatible charger.

We were in the same situation but thought the PV would either add a bit on to the house, or at least it’ll make the house more desirable, so if we took the battery with us if we move, I don’t think we’d ‘lose’ too much on the solar - but obviously that is speculation.

I think the recent energy increases have made people think about energy especially panels etc, so I don’t think it’s a bad thing if you’re looking to sell a house with new panels on :)
We have both - the Zappi - to take advantage of our solar - and the Ohme Go - which we purchased with the help of a grant from Octopus. The Ohme Go plugs into the Zappi (set into dumb charge mode) and the Ohme Go then takes control and works with Octopus Intelligence when plugged into the car (meaning you do not now need a compatible electric car). In summer we have free electric for the cars (via Zappi) - in winter when there is not so much spare solar (although there are days when we do have excess) - then the Ohme Go ensures the cars are charged on the Octopus Intelligent rates. I think we were amongst the first to try out Octopus Intelligent so have had it now about 18 months - we had Octopus Go before this. I cannot fault either tariff - but if you do want to stick to one solution & have solar panels - then Zappi coupled with one of the Octopus Go tariffs is the way to go. Which ever method you choose go for an programable charge point which can be easily set to accommodate EV tariffs (now and in the future) from whichever supplier you choose.

Here you go, this will help to see if your smart meter will link:

https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk/

You can also use one of the numerous apps like Hugo, Bright or Loop and if you can get 30 min readings you should be fine.

You can get gas with Octopus, it’ll either be the variable rate (which is the same everywhere), or you could go to gas tracker, which tracks the next day wholesale gas price and it fluctuates daily up to a cap octopus have set - but as the cap for that is now 22p, come winter it won’t look very good - at the moment it’s tracking at about 6p/kWh for gas so well below the government price cap, but when demand increases, it won’t be lower than the 22p (although the government support will bring it down to 18p).

Depending on usage, you only need to drive about 5000 miles for it to be beneficial, less if you load shift appliances too.

Quick maths based on my own usage to show this point.

So I’m putting 28kwh into the car at 7.5p twice a week at night which is £2.10. If I I was SVR (@34p) that is £9.52.

I use 8 kWh per day in the house - 2kwh of these are washing machine and dishwasher - I put these on during the cheap rate so cost £0.15, if it was SVR it would be £0.68.

Then I use 6kwh at 40p which is £2.40, if it was SVR it would be £2.04.

So total cost usage for me is £2.10+£0.15+£2.40 = £4.65 per day (I charge) for 36kwh which averages at 12.66p/kwh.

If it was SVR at the exact same usage it’s £12.24 for 36kwh which obviously averages 34p/kWh.

Now if I average this over the week, I would use 104 kWh 2 days at (36kwh and 5 days at 8 kWh) if that’s the SVR (28p) it would be £37.44.

With octopus go it’s (4.65*2)+(2.55*5) = £22.05 which is an average rate of 21.2p.

So total savings over the year of £800.28 - based on the current SVR rate.

Obviously it depends on your own usage, but if you want to try my spreadsheet calculator to see how it would work out, you can download it freely at the below link. Or, if you need a hand you can answer a quick few questions and I can plug it in my end for you! :) let me know if you need a hand with it!

Time of Use Tariff vs SVR July 2022 Prime V4.1 copy 2.xlsx
Thanks, that is so helpful of you. We are currently in the middle of a big kitchen replacement so chaos reigns.
When I get straight I will definitely try to be a bit more scientific, but based on the figures I did before and about 7000 miles a year in my Zs it worked out better on Svr,

Thanks I will download your spreadsheet during the next few days. If I’m honest while charging the car up to 80% in the cheap hours is no problem, getting my wife organised for time shifting the washing machine and dishwasher is a bit more of a leap.
I genuinely have tried asking Octopus on a number of occasions re the meter but have failed to get an answer or proper response..
Hi used also he response form and after ten days got a message saying ring us, which I had done before.
Thanks again
Derek

I've an MG4 (previously a ZS) charged via an OHME and a 32amp commando socket installed with protection via a separate circuit from my main board. I've also got solar but no automated integration but still managed 16-20 free miles via the granny charger yesterday using an energy monitor and Mk1 eyeball. It was such a cloudless day there wasn't any need to worry for 2+ hours!

As I don't use too much during the day my average unit price has been pretty good over the summer, but I'll need to push more to the cheap rate as winter comes on and PV reduces. So far mainly the dishwasher and occasionally the washing machine if I'm up late enough to kick it off but I can see it becoming worthwhile to install more timeswitches.

I don't think you'd need too much mileage to make a cheap rate tariff work over SVR, as long as you can apply a bit of common sense.

Love to be on Octopus, but they're not taking new customers at all.
Stuck with EDF after my provider went through last year. No off peak tariff.

I'm having Ohme pro installed tomorrow, MG4 pickup for Thursday. Hopefully future proofed "if" API ever gets supported for MG. I don't have solar, therefor ruled out some of the more expensive options(Zappi). Ohme pro has great reviews, and was the cheapest installed I could get locally.
Have you phoned Octopus as they are taking customers with EV's or one on order you just need the right person to answer your call.
I am with EDF and just changed my tariff to off peak midnight till 7am reduced rate to 21.76p and 36.76p normal per kWh not a great rate but cheaper.

Just be warned that if you are in a house of a certain age and your meter appears to be on an asbestos backing board the company installing your wall charger might insist you get an asbestos certificate to determine what sot of asbestos it is before they will fit it.

I am with octopus go tariff currently at 38 p during day and 7.5p from 00:30-04:30

Zappi charger and awaiting my trophy delivery in January hopefully by then oil leak is fixed

Anyone who's been considering the Anderson charger for their home installation is going to be disappointed, they allegedly just went under.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back