For what it's worth, this happened me yesterday for the first time. The car was plugged in (but not charging) and I sat in the drivers seat just as my wife pulled out the charge plug. Maybe this squence upset it. Not suggesting this is the only cause but maybe it does it anytime it is upset about something - however minor.

I think it's purely random. In mine the amber showed up one day when I had a full battery and the car had just done a balance charge. I got in the car and it was like that. Another time I saw the display show amber for a few seconds then it flipped back to green again. It was also amber (what could be seen of it) when I ran the battery down to 4%, but it was still green at 8% the other day.

I've seen videos of these cars where the display (on the charging management screen) turns amber at a fairly low state of charge and red at a very low state of charge. At least one forum member said his/hers does that. I think that's how it's supposed to happen, but in most people's cars the display stays green all the time with just these occasional flashes of amber.

I've seen this happen twice on my SR during the first 2000 kilometers. My guess is it is simply an easter egg from one of the many talented software engineers @ MG who love to chuckle at threads like this.

MG5 facelift interloper here, just to report on my model the 'logical' sequence of colour change (Green above 50%, orange 20-49%, red below 19%) mentioned is the behaviour we have always had

Makes sense. I have seen videos of MG4s where amber and red appeared to be showing at plausible SoCs, but in mine everything is always green except when the amber shows up as an "easter egg".

I include the main central screen, the driver's screen, and the central screen under "charging". All green. All the time.

What about the app? That's always green too, though I don't know if it's meant to do anything different. It's certainly a full colour screen in the app, there are other details that show up red (like the car's tail lights) or amber.

Makes sense. I have seen videos of MG4s where amber and red appeared to be showing at plausible SoCs, but in mine everything is always green except when the amber shows up as an "easter egg".

I include the main central screen, the driver's screen, and the central screen under "charging". All green. All the time.

What about the app? That's always green too, though I don't know if it's meant to do anything different. It's certainly a full colour screen in the app, there are other details that show up red (like the car's tail lights) or amber.
Don't think the app charge status bar changes colour for me unlike the one in the car (that I've noticed, anyway)

Thanks for confirming that.

It's not as if it's important, we can all read the numbers, but seeing that green bar stay green as it creeps down to single figures is a bit strange.

That's interesting. The only time I've ever had mine as low as 4% I saw the teeny sliver showing as amber. I had begun to think that was just another example of the "easter egg" but maybe not. Maybe they've just got the % set wrong. Amber at 50% and red at 10% seems perfectly reasonable.

MG5 facelift interloper here, just to report on my model the 'logical' sequence of colour change (Green above 50%, orange 20-49%, red below 19%) mentioned is the behaviour we have always had
I get that .it makes sense. What doesn't make sense is the inconsistency.
Last night my display turned yellow when I restarted the car at around 35 %.I then drove for another 15minutes with the yellow display.Stopped and did a bit of shopping . Restarted. 30% Green Display.
Gone out this morning.Green Display
I've never seen red .

The MG5 seems to be consistent. The MG4 has a bug where the display stays green all the time and the amber colour only comes out occasionally at random.

I can't believe I never thought of asking if the display behaves on other MG models! I'm pretty sure I have seen one video of an MG4 where it was displaying correctly, but I wonder if the member I saw posting here that theirs was right might not have had an MG4.

On the central screen the battery indicator line was about 75% when I went out and it has always been green

When I came back to the car a few hours later it’s orange?

Any idea why?

the it crowd chris odowd GIF

Just noticed this thread as my MG4 has always been green since we had it. I drove a short distance it’s on 75% charge and when I came to drive home the green bar is orange.

It’s not unusually cold or anything and I regularly charge to 100% to balance the battery

Mine turns amber at 5%, I think someone got the decimal place a bit wrong on MG4!

Oh and the low battery warnings start at 21% and 11% - another classic 1-relative vs. 0-relative programming error. Pretty sure they are supposed to be at 20% and 10%.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back