475 mile trip - all good

GaryMG4

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Just got back from a visit to North York Moors, did a total of 475 mile over 4 days with no issues. On the way there I charged at MFG Pickering, no problems took a few days to clear the £40 hold, didn't need to stop there as the chargers in Pickering had been upgraded to 75kW - zap map still had them as 50kW.
Really enjoyed the moorland roads, 1 in 4 and 1 in 3 hills a breeze going up or down, Regen did all the work going down most of the time. The cottage owner was happy to let me used their electricity at cost, he even had a 32amp commando outlet with 3 pin socket attached, shame I didn't have a 7.4kW charger I could plug in.
Stopped at Blythe on the way back for comfort break, decided to try the Gridserve there as Ive not used them yet, again no problems, 11 free Tesla chargers and 5 Gridserve free. Had a chat with a lad delivering a Corsa-e who had been there an hour trying to get to 100% that he would be better charging to 60-70% and then stopping again.
Considering the hills and a lot of 70mph motorway driving I'm happy with the 3.7miles/kWh for the trip.

I visited friends in West Yorkshire in May and they navigated me on a route up hill and down dale on minor roads that sounds quite similar to yours. The car was great, and I got very good mileage.

I've had no problems with Gridserve, they seem to work well for me, whether the old 50 Kw units or the new 350 Kw units.

Just got back from a visit to North York Moors, did a total of 475 mile over 4 days with no issues. On the way there I charged at MFG Pickering, no problems took a few days to clear the £40 hold, didn't need to stop there as the chargers in Pickering had been upgraded to 75kW - zap map still had them as 50kW.
Really enjoyed the moorland roads, 1 in 4 and 1 in 3 hills a breeze going up or down, Regen did all the work going down most of the time. The cottage owner was happy to let me used their electricity at cost, he even had a 32amp commando outlet with 3 pin socket attached, shame I didn't have a 7.4kW charger I could plug in.
Stopped at Blythe on the way back for comfort break, decided to try the Gridserve there as Ive not used them yet, again no problems, 11 free Tesla chargers and 5 Gridserve free. Had a chat with a lad delivering a Corsa-e who had been there an hour trying to get to 100% that he would be better charging to 60-70% and then stopping again.
Considering the hills and a lot of 70mph motorway driving I'm happy with the 3.7miles/kWh for the trip.
Made up for you. I’m doing that route the weekend I get mine to York Uni so looking forward to it and Charging places on way are they North York or back to London?

Oddly although the Gridserve at Blythe are 350kW I only got around 70 despite being around the SoC 50%, I guess the battery was fairly warm after the motorway run so it was limited.

Made up for you. I’m doing that route the weekend I get mine to York Uni so looking forward to it and Charging places on way are they North York or back to London?
There are a lot of chargers around York, have a look at zap-map. The council run ones at Monks Cross (east side of York) are amongst the cheapest rapid around 20p cheaper than the adjacent BP Pulse.

Last week drove from Suffolk to west Wales stopped at Leigh Delamere on way down had a coffee and charged up car no problems at all 3.9 miles/kWh . On the way back stopped at Lower Stanton St Quinton to charge and coffee again no problems apart from a ice car parked in ev bay all the time I was there again 3.9 miles /kWh

Last week drove from Suffolk to west Wales stopped at Leigh Delamere on way down had a coffee and charged up car no problems at all 3.9 miles/kWh . On the way back stopped at Lower Stanton St Quinton to charge and coffee again no problems apart from a ice car parked in ev bay all the time I was there again 3.9 miles /kWh
But you can only drive 20mph in Wales 😆

Contactless is convenient, but sometimes some of the RFID cards (with linked accounts) can lead to a cheaper rate. :)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 528 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back