August sales and Octopus Intelligent lobbying!

The problem is, MG has nothing to lose or gain directly by dealing with Octopus, why would MG pay any attention to them? An MG customer on the other hand should carry some weight and collectively surpass anything that Octopus could do.
Octopus will collate information and stats from MG customers, so will approach them with, for example, "500 of your MG4 customers who are our customers too would like the car to talk to our systems, as other car manufactures cars do too."
Going in as a single person asking that question as iv'e said, carries much less weight and you will be reliant on 500 (example) people all pushing the same message in the same manner, knowing how to, and hoping that SAIC will collate, listen and act. As MG is unfortunately a non starter
I know where my bet is on those two horses, having experienced them both on the track 😁

Octopus will collate information and stats from MG customers, so will approach them with, for example, "500 of your MG4 customers who are our customers too would like the car to talk to our systems, as other car manufactures cars do too."
Going in as a single person asking that question as iv'e said, carries much less weight and you will be reliant on 500 (example) people all pushing the same message in the same manner, knowing how to, and hoping that SAIC will collate, listen and act. As MG is unfortunately a non starter
I know where my bet is on those two horses, having experienced them both on the track 😁
If Octopus do that, my guess is that they'll get the same "Smart" answer that we would if we asked individually.

Octopus making Go 5 hours and increasing intelligent to 7 hrs would really change the game, every single EV driver would be silly not to go with them at that point.

they did trial a tariff called Octopus Go Faster. (I was on it). The idea was to stagger the times a bit so you could be allocated a slot starting at between around 20:30 and sometime after midnight (I can't remember the limit). They also allowed you to pick a 3, 4 or 5-hour window with a 0.5p/kWh difference on the price in that window, so back when I first signed up it was 4.5p/kWh for 3 hours, 5p for 4, or 5.5p for 5 (Those were the days, eh?!)

Then they dropped the 3-hour window first, and then the trial (or 'beta product as they called it) came to an end. Not sure if they're still planning on offering it as a full product though. They seem to be pushing intelligent more, but that's out for me with a Hypervolt charger and a non-connected car. (at least, until Octopus and Hypervolt start talking)

But why should Octopus do that? Theyre quite happy with customers using GO at 2p kWh more.

Going in as a single person asking that question as iv'e said, carries much less weight and you will be reliant on 500 (example) people all pushing the same message in the same manner, knowing how to, and hoping that SAIC will collate, listen and act.
On the otherhand email from Octopus say 500 of your customers want you to open your API for us to use. SAIC may think why do we want to help Octopus? no point. One email, deleted. 500 emails from their customers asking for the same, much more difficult to ignore.

As MG is unfortunately a non starter
Only because it's been allowed to be a non starter. If enough customers got together via a forum such as this they couldnt just ignore them.

I'm sure you have and without sufficient numbers of people your experience will remain the same.

But why should Octopus do that? Theyre quite happy with customers using GO at 2p kWh more.

1.On the otherhand email from Octopus say 500 of your customers want you to open your API for us to use. SAIC may think why do we want to help Octopus? no point. One email, deleted. 500 emails from their customers asking for the same, much more difficult to ignore.

2. Only because it's been allowed to be a non starter. If enough customers got together via a forum such as this they couldnt just ignore them.

3. I'm sure you have and without sufficient numbers of people your experience will remain the same.

Okay, enough is enough... let's agree to disagree here. I don't think you grasp what I do.

1. Octopus would do that to build on their service offering for customers as the EV world develops. Octopus would engage SAIC or MG with 'your customer base' as I mentioned above
2. It's never been allowed to be a non starter as you put it.... it's their stance no matter what
3. My experience with Octopus is plenty, I worked with then directly to develop their portal offering for customers. My experience with MG is plenty too, search this forum.

As I said, let's agree to disagree, but you telling people what NOT to do, ie. "Do NOT lobby Octopus" is not your call to make. So folk will try all angles as they are entitled to, to progress matters in the manner they see fit.

Only because it's been allowed to be a non starter. If enough customers got together via a forum such as this they couldnt just ignore them.
MG couldn't give a proverbial about forums, there was a response from MG about this forum and they really couldn't care less (and there was 700 posts on a subject)

I'm in the middle with this, I don't see that it's octopus's issue but its probably worth a shot, any help is good help.

That said MG/SAIC being what they are I believe it doesn't really matter who tries, and how many try to nudge them they won't care.

Okay, enough is enough... let's agree to disagree here. I don't think you grasp what I do.

1. Octopus would do that to build on their service offering for customers as the EV world develops. Octopus would engage SAIC or MG with 'your customer base' as I mentioned above
2. It's never been allowed to be a non starter as you put it.... it's their stance no matter what
3. My experience with Octopus is plenty, I worked with then directly to develop their portal offering for customers. My experience with MG is plenty too, search this forum.
Great, I too have worked with Octopus directly on some items but there we go, small world ;)

As I said, let's agree to disagree, but you telling people what NOT to do, ie. "Do NOT lobby Octopus" is not your call to make.
Actually, thats not what I did, i asked people i.e. 'Please dont', very different. I have as much right to ask people not to do it as others have to ask them to do it. I did give perfectly valid reasons why we shouldn't expect Octopus to deal with problems from the car manufacturer we have chosen.

So folk will try all angles as they are entitled to, to progress matters in the manner they see fit.
Absolutely, everyone fill yer boots but Octopus is not the way to go in my opinion.

Actually, thats not what I did, i asked people i.e. 'Please dont', very different. I have as much right to ask people not to do it as others have to ask them to do it. I did give perfectly valid reasons why we shouldn't expect Octopus to deal with problems from the car manufacturer we have chosen.
I'm afraid that's just rubbish... You said "Please DONT burden Octopus with this lobbying". putting please in front does not change the message with don't in capital letters. You may not know but that indicates shouting when written.
As I have said, and I know, Octopus are actively working with car manufactures and car charger manufacturers to achieve connectivity to their tariffs, not pursuing car problems for us !. The more interest from customers for this service the more priority they give to their efforts. I'm getting bored of this now ... as I said, let's leave it right there.

I'm afraid that's just rubbish... You said "Please DONT burden Octopus with this lobbying". putting please in front does not change the message with don't in capital letters. You may not know but that indicates shouting when written.
OMG youre so funny, I'm aware that uppercase is shouting, I have operated and used forums for years. Dont do that and please dont do that are entirely different

As I have said, and I know, Octopus are actively working with car manufactures and car charger manufacturers to achieve connectivity to their tariffs, not pursuing car problems for us !
They absolutely are and it's been plain to see for all who take an interest in Octopus.

The more interest from customers for this service the more priority they give to their efforts.
Of course, common sense but it still does not mean Octopus should be expected to badger SAIC on our behalf.

I'm getting bored of this now ... as I said, let's leave it right there.
Absolutely fine, youre bored with it so everyone has to toe your line, you must have the last say eh? You had the choice to leave it before and chose not to, why should you call and end to proceedings?

I'm getting bored of this now ... as I said, let's leave it right there.
May I make a suggestion here?

How about starting a thread or a poll asking members if they would like MG to release the API details to Octopus and if members would like to use Octopus Intelligent if the API was released and Octopus could accommodate us all.
When completed, the link to the thread / poll could then be sent to SAIC with a covering email showing strength of UK customers and also to Octopus politely asking if they could also contact SAIC on our behalf.
By doing this it's a joint action, the information is collated ready for inspection, theres little overhead for Octopus (they dont have to collate the data etc).
Just my 2c :)

Octopus have the facility on their website to suggest cars etc, they wouldn't have it there if they didn't want people to use it.
SAIC on the other hand couldn't care less so people may as well use the octopus provided contact form.

Again just to clarify I still don't think it's octopus's job to chase up SAIC, and they already provide a solution with ohme but they have that form on their site for a reason so may as well use it.

Octopus have the facility on their website to suggest cars etc, they wouldn't have it there if they didn't want people to use it.
You make a very good point!

SAIC on the other hand couldn't care less so people may as well use the octopus provided contact form.
There must be a way to get SAIC onboard.

Again just to clarify I still don't think it's octopus's job to chase up SAIC, and they already provide a solution with ohme but they have that form on their site for a reason so may as well use it.
Agreed.

Agree, it's not Octopus's job to chase SAIC, they will just try to promote their service to MG, who if they accept, will pass onto SAIC to develop. And there's the sticking point of course.

Surely this isn't just an issue with Octopus - if there aren't already other suppliers around the world doing similar things there surely will be before long? SAIC shouldn't just be giving octopus an API to use, they should be doing it for all suppliers globally. How hard can it be??? The functionality is there as we can do it all through the iSmart app, it just needs an endpoint the suppliers can use and some authentication.

Surely this isn't just an issue with Octopus - if there aren't already other suppliers around the world doing similar things there surely will be before long? SAIC shouldn't just be giving octopus an API to use, they should be doing it for all suppliers globally. How hard can it be??? The functionality is there as we can do it all through the iSmart app, it just needs an endpoint the suppliers can use and some authentication.
Correct, it's a relatively simple thing to achieve technically but requires approval at a business and IT security level and more between involved parties before anyone can proceed. If Octopus can collate customer requests for the service, they will then try to achieve deployment of the service with a manufacturer. Octopus can weigh in with how others have done this and what the exact requirements are,from a technical and security perspective, with their back-end system specifications too.

Correct, it's a relatively simple thing to achieve technically but requires approval at a business and IT security level and more between involved parties before anyone can proceed. If Octopus can collate customer requests for the service, they will then try to achieve deployment of the service with a manufacturer. Octopus can weigh in with how others have done this and what the exact requirements are,from a technical and security perspective, with their back-end system specifications too.
The conspiracy theorist in me thinks it could be because SAIC is state owned 🤔

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel