[Car finally rejected] Recalcitrant Dealer

This kinda thing boils my piss.

I think this dealer should be pinned or highlighted in this forum, so that people know to avoid them.

If they have rejected your statutory legal right to reject the car in 30 days they are breaking the law.

They have continued to be obtuse about the facts presented to them and are instead referring you to their ADR scheme.

This should put anyone off, Stoneacre Nottingham are refusing the right to reject on a faulty car within the 30 days.
Unfortunately you will have to use the ADR scheme (courts like it), if they do not rule in your favour (unlikely) then the courts most certainly will.

What I would do is contact the dealer making sure that you explicitly tell them that you have rejected the car within the 30 days as per the consumer rights act 2015, you should mention the reasons why you have done this. (you should mention when you first contacted them and rejected the car just for the record). Make it clear that if they do not refund you, you will be going to court.

There is no need for a solicitors letter, you can use the template found here: Letter rejecting a new or used car bought from a dealer - Which?

Id also copy MG into any correspondence, it may make them think twice.
MG UK is involved and not helping tbh, the aftersales suggested that I use another dealership, which I did and sent them the inspection report, now the aftersales is saying this to me:

1670947593811.png

This reply happened after I sent the inspection report from another dealership confirming all the faults!

Last edited:

Most dealerships/branches already have threads allocated for feedback on them. :)

Edit: I see you've already posted in there with a link back to this thread.

So after almost 3 months of struggling, an inspection with another dealer (70+ miles away ), a 1-month wait for an independent inspection, and then a 1-month alternative dispute resolution process (a ruling of unsatisfactory quality which is binding on Stoneacre), my MG4 was officially rejected and returned yesterday for a full refund. 🎉

Support from MG UK is non-existence, the dealer is a nightmare to deal with:
  1. 3 separate inspections, no issues found, what a perfect car.
  2. Your car is not leaking but has some engine oil;
  3. The undertray is a characteristic of the vehicle;
  4. No we are not aware of the breather fix;
  5. When the oil leak will surely fail MOT (according to the independent inspection company) they said it's road legal as you don't need an MOT in the first 3 years;
  6. We will sort out the locking recall when you decided to withdraw your rejection.
  7. yada yada yada.

And this awesome forum is the only source of help. I received much useful information here both publicly and via DM. Thank you all!

Also, the independent inspection concluded the condensation in the brake lights is not normal, and my MG4's doors were not properly sealed somehow so the wind noise was huge when driving above 35mph.

Last edited:
And I get grief for calling out poor customer care from dealers and MG. This in a nutshell sums up MG UK.
You add a poor dealer to that and you're screwed, shouldn't be this poor

And I get grief for calling out poor customer care from dealers and MG. This in a nutshell sums up MG UK.
You add a poor dealer to that and you're screwed, shouldn't be this poor
Precisely the sort of scenario where MG customer care should have been involved and there to help.

So after almost 3 months of struggling, an inspection with another dealer (70+ miles away ), a 1-month wait for an independent inspection, and then a 1-month alternative dispute resolution process (a ruling of unsatisfactory quality which is binding on Stoneacre), my MG4 was officially rejected and returned yesterday for a full refund. 🎉

Support from MG UK is non-existence, the dealer is a nightmare to deal with:
  1. 3 separate inspections, no issues found, what a perfect car.
  2. Your car is not leaking but has some engine oil;
  3. The undertray is a characteristic of the vehicle;
  4. No we are not aware of the breather fix;
  5. When the oil leak will surely fail MOT (according to the independent inspection company) they said it's road legal as you don't need an MOT in the first 3 years;
  6. We will sort out the locking recall when you decided to withdraw your rejection.
  7. yada yada yada.

And this awesome forum is the only source of help. I received much useful information here both publicly and via DM. Thank you all!

Also, the independent inspection concluded the condensation in the break lights is not normal, and my MG4's doors were not properly sealed somehow so the wind noise was huge when driving above 35mph.
This is not just teething problems that all new cars have, there are some cars out there that have, but there are a good few cars that are just plane lemons.

There is a member that says he has never heard the word "rejection" banded about any forum as much as this one.

That statement in itself should tell you all you need to know about MG.
if you trawled through all the threads where every owner has had to reject their cars I would challenge anyone to keep and be happy with those cars, the sad facts are a lot of craps cars have got passed MG's "quality Control" loose term for whatever they do when they check them off the line/PDI.

I again await the standard responses.

This is not just teething problems that all new cars have, there are some cars out there that have, but there are a good few cars that are just plane lemons.

There is a member that says he has never heard the word "rejection" banded about any forum as much as this one.

That statement in itself should tell you all you need to know about MG.
if you trawled through all the threads where every owner has had to reject their cars I would challenge anyone to keep and be happy with those cars, the sad facts are a lot of craps cars have got passed MG's "quality Control" loose term for whatever they do when they check them off the line/PDI.

I again await the standard responses.
I agree. Being positive, just focusing on the happy owners and hoping you aren't the one that gets a (another) lemon is not a good state of mind. I asked myself what impartial and objective (dispassionate) advice would I give myself if I had read all the postings, was honest about the dealers like of service to-date and was able to get my deposit back and the advice was to cancel the MG4. It wasn't a binary choice. The balance of probability suggested I would have a range of annoying problems with frustrating return trips to a dysfunctional dealer with poor MG backup.
I surprised myself by how relieved I was after doing it. Like a burden lifted.

Any chance of naming the other MG dealer that wrote up the report about the leaking oil? They were pivotal in helping you get the refund as well as telling you that the modified breather exists and is not something "made up on social media" as per MG Motor UK's usual response to such matters.

Any chance of naming the other MG dealer that wrote up the report about the leaking oil? They were pivotal in helping you get the refund as well as telling you that the modified breather exists and is not something "made up on social media" as per MG Motor UK's usual response to such matters.
The Donalds Group in Peterborough.

I've never used them, a member here DM'ed me saying his leak was fixed by them.

I phoned them directly around 5pm, and explained my situation (it was the second last day of my 30-day short-term to reject period), they booked me in for the next day.

On the day they inspected the car, walked me through what exactly happened, told me the solution offered by MG UK, and even showed me the breather part they've got for another MG4.

I would say they set an example for car dealerships. The service manager even served coffee to customers in the waiting room, at least I've never seen that with service (only with sales).

Also after the inspection, I emailed a copy to Mr. Smart @ MG UK, but we all know what rubbish he will say.

Last edited:
Also the ADR was a 2-round one, mediation and adjudication.

Through the mediation, Stoneacre Nottingham offered me 2500 for keeping the car and they will try to fix what potentially might be wrong with it. I refused the proposal as I was fed up with their craps.

Later on, the independent report came out with even more faults than I originally knew. The case officer then finally suggested a full refund but it was not accepted by Stoneacre. I insisted on a full refund, so it was a deadlock and we entered the adjudication. The adjudicator ruled the quality is unsatisfactory, and the ruling was binding on Stoneacre.

After the ruling, Stoneacre then kicked me around between their head office and Nottingham branch for another week:
Mon:
Nottingham: oh we don't know anything about the rejection you should contact our head office.
Head office: oh the person handling this case is not available, he will call you back as soon as he can. (no one called me back)

Wed:
Head office: same crap excuse as Monday.
Nottingham: oh our manager is not in, I don't have the authority to answer your questions.

On Friday I contacted the ADR in the morning, and then Stoneacre in the afternoon,
Head office: oh is that so? Let me have a word with them.
Nottingham: oh we just received the confirmation you can return it but we won't be able to collect it from you.

I then explained the law to the chap, they should cover the cost of me delivering it to them but then he said he doesn't have the authority. But I just didn't waste any more time, and returned the vehicle after work.

So now fingers crossed that the refund will hit my account next week, as promised by the sales manager. By law they have 14 days to process the refund though I don't think they understand any laws.

Through the mediation, Stoneacre Nottingham offered me 2500 for keeping the car and they will try to fix what potentially might be wrong with it. I refused the proposal as I was fed up with their craps.

Later on, the independent report came out with even more faults than I originally knew. The case officer then finally suggested a full refund but it was not accepted by Stoneacre. I insisted on a full refund, so it was a deadlock and we entered the adjudication. The adjudicator ruled the quality is unsatisfactory, and the ruling was binding on Stoneacre.

After the ruling, Stoneacre then kicked me around between their head office and Nottingham branch for another week:
Mon:
Nottingham: oh we don't know anything about the rejection you should contact our head office.
Head office: oh the person handling this case is not available, he will call you back as soon as he can. (no one called me back)

Wed:
Nottingham: oh our manager is not in, I don't have the authority to answer your questions.

On Friday I contacted the ADR in the morning, and then Stoneacre in the afternoon,
Nottingham: oh we just received the confirmation you can return it but we won't be able to collect it from you.

I then explained the law to the chap, they should cover the cost of me delivering it to them but then he said he doesn't have the authority. But I just didn't waste any more time, and returned the vehicle after work.

So now fingers crossed that the refund will hit my account next week, as promised by the sales manager. By law they have 14 days to process the refund though I don't think they understand any laws.

What a sorry tale, they really shouldn't even be in business at all as it only gives a bad name to the good MG dealers out there.

BTW, I hope that you were able to claim some sort of monetary compensation from the original dealer for the inconvenience of them messing you around like this.

Even a small claims court for the expenses incurred might be something that they could pay out on.

The transmission fluid was also pretty close to my rear brake pads. according to the independent inspector.
IMG_4796.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4798.jpg
    IMG_4798.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_4799.jpg
    IMG_4799.jpg
    382 KB · Views: 165
Wow, I wonder if other owners know about this potential issue especially given that the car is rear wheel drive and the rear brakes will be working harder than the fronts?

Wow, I wonder if other owners know about this potential issue especially given that the car is rear wheel drive and the rear brakes will be working harder than the fronts?
The rear brakes will not be working anywhere near as hard as the fronts just like any car, even less so with regen on the rear axle as well

The rear brakes will not be working anywhere near as hard as the fronts just like any car, even less so with regen on the rear axle as well
Regen basically stops working once your battery is above 95% or the internal pack temperature is around 10C or less.

Mon:

Wed:

Well done for your persistence and taking it all the way.

I said last year on here, owners need to stop just accepting things as teething issues but call MG and dealers out as much as they can.

That is the only way you pressure them into providing you the quality and service you deserve for giving them circa £30k in these harsh economic climes.

The fact its the cheapest EV on market and helping people fulfill dreams of getting into EVs earlier than maybe hoped for doesn't mean we should all be thankful and just "manage" poor situations or issues with the car.

What is poor is poor, even if only one bad MG4 out of a 1000 sold, we should have 1 person shouting it from the rooftops and 999 people lending support, not just glossing over it saying teething issues or calling into question other people's complaints as being excessive or having a poor understanding of EVs as has been observed several times on here.

Some members have been very tolerant and this is not to criticise them for such a virtue however, they are not wrong to DEMAND better for thirty thousand pounds.

It actually helps everyone in the long run as MG will become more responsive and at least try to fix issues. I have heard things like undertray is not design flaw but meant to be that way, none of our MG4s sold have leaked, oh you need to drop the car and we will check it next month, oh we've gone over it with a fine comb and no issues, etcetera, etcetera.

Call them out, hold them to account. Other EVs have issues too but just trawl through a few forums and you'll see the difference in organisational response and the will to resolve. It's not acceptable.

Put up with it and the MG4 will never reach its potential.

Let this sink in: MG 4 has been sold in Asian markets before the UK as the Mulan. Its not teething issues, just a car made without too much attention paid to quality control. And to add insult to injury, the Mulan is so much nicer on the interior than the equivalent they send here. Not saying the quality is any better but you get the point.

Let's not feel thankful to MG for cars we are paying 30k for. I'm happy I've seen others pay a bit more for better because the risk of having a problem car and the stress as well as financial cost to back and forth dealership trips will very much erase any perceived value if you find yourself in that position.

I have heard of people taking delivery as long as 3 months ago but their car has spent more time in dealerships than in their homes.

How is this even condoned or acceptable?

Last edited:
Well done for your persistence and taking it all the way.

I said last year on here, owners need to stop just accepting things as teething issues but call MG and dealers out as much as they can.

That is the only way you pressure them into providing you the quality and service you deserve for giving them circa £30k in these harsh economic climes.

The fact its the cheapest EV on market and helping people fulfill dreams of getting into EVs earlier than maybe hoped for doesn't mean we should all be thankful and just "manage" poor situations or issues with the car.

What is poor is poor, even if only one bad MG4 out of a 1000 sold, we should have 1 person shouting it from the rooftops and 999 people lending support, not just glossing over it saying teething issues or calling into question other people's complaints as being excessive or having a poor understanding of EVs as has been observed several times on here.

Some members have been very tolerant and this is not to criticise them for such a virtue however, they are not wrong to DEMAND better for thirty thousand pounds.

It actually helps everyone in the long run as MG will become more responsive and at least try to fix issues. I have heard things like undertray is not design flaw but meant to be that way, none of our MG4s sold have leaked, oh you need to drop the car and we will check it next month, oh we've gone over it with a fine comb and no issues, etcetera, etcetera.

Call them out, hold them to account. Other EVs have issues too but just trawl through a few forums and you'll see the difference in organisational response and the will to resolve. It's not acceptable.

Put up with it and the MG4 will never reach its potential.

Let this sink in: MG 4 has been sold in Asian markets before the UK as the Mulan. Its not teething issues, just a car made without too much attention paid to quality control. And to add insult to injury, the Mulan is so much nicer on the interior than the equivalent they send here. Not saying the quality is any better but you get the point.

Let's not feel thankful to MG for cars we are paying 30k for. I'm happy I've seen others pay a bit more for better because the risk of having a problem car and the stress as well as financial cost to back and forth dealership trips will very much erase any perceived value if you find yourself in that position.

I have heard of people taking delivery as long as 3 months ago but their car has spent more time in dealerships than in their homes.

How is this even condoned or acceptable?
One of the best posts in a while, from one negative nelly to another.👍

Surely as you have said all owners should be united in this.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back