CCS Communications Problems

It all seems so random which users are successful or fail. I already had my payment card details linked to my app/account so maybe that helped but it is a stab in the dark.

Might not be worth all the hassle. I do eat at that hotel quite often though. I don't remember if I had to give my car reg number - I don't think so.
I was last there in January (it's where we had my leaving/retirement lunch - I used to work at Honeywell) and back then we had to enter our VRMs into the portal/tablet in reception. 🤷‍♂️

It all seems so random which users are successful or fail. I already had my payment card details linked to my app/account so maybe that helped but it is a stab in the dark.

I thought I had, but the app thought different. I also had a Shell Recharge card, which should have sorted the whole thing, except the charger wouldn't take it. There was something I should have done to activiate it, and I hadn't done it. (I could have done it then and there, but didn't realise that, and the helpline girl didn't suggest it.)

I was last there in January (it's where we had my leaving/retirement lunch - I used to work at Honeywell) and back then we had to enter our VRMs into the portal/tablet in reception. 🤷‍♂️

I have some vague memory. I've been going there for so long I can't remember if anything different has happened recently.

I was using the app. I became locked in a cycle of being repeatedly thrown back to the page where I had to enter my bank card details whenever I tried to start the charge. When I phoned the helpline things only got worse, but possibly because at that point my phone was beginning to die and the first symptom was slow internet. In the end the helpline person started the charge remotely, and then I got an email saying they were waiving the fee as a gesture of goodwill. It's put me off Ionity though, I have to say.
FYI - Octopus' Electroverse card works with Ionity, and gives a 5% discount (more if you buy your electricity from them)

P.s. the "old ccs communication problem" I was talking abaut, is caused by heavy charge cables making the plug tilting slightly out on top (where the comunication pins are in the plug). So making sure that is not the problem is like the thing to do. Learned this from Bjørn Nyland on you tube (Tesla Bjørn).
This could have been the reason for issues I had 🤔

Good info 🤓

Had to stop at Birchanger lastnight as only had a couple of % left. Saw all the new Applegreen chargers and tried them. 3 times they started, then changed to charging complete without doing anything. Other EV's were chaging, so I know the units were okay. In the end I had to queue for the older GridServe chargers to add the 10% I needed to get home. The only cars connected to the GridServe ones were 'MG5'.

I went to Abington services specifically to see if I could get the Applegreen chargers to work, and I finally did, but it was a bit of a struggle and I think I succeeded on the third charger I tried. Having said that, a lot of the trouble seemed to be around recognising my credit card, and other drivers on other cars were also having trouble. A Trophy pulled in beside me and started to connect but I'm not sure if he was successful or not.

Had to stop at Birchanger lastnight as only had a couple of % left. Saw all the new Applegreen chargers and tried them. 3 times they started, then changed to charging complete without doing anything. Other EV's were chaging, so I know the units were okay. In the end I had to queue for the older GridServe chargers to add the 10% I needed to get home. The only cars connected to the GridServe ones were 'MG5'.
I've always failed to charge my ZS EV on these chargers. No idea why - spent a lot of time on Applegreen helpline who basically dont care and blame the car. So, I move to the Gridserve ones where they are working and free (often not been working tho). I havent tried my MG4 with Applegreen

I had my first ccs communication failure last week .
Initially I thought I was doing something stupid but 3 Tesla chargers wouldn't work and the another on at a local harvester couldn't see the car.
All week I've charged on my granny charger with no issues . Went to Tesla again this morning same problem. Fortunately my dealer is just round the corner from work.
Dropped in to be told that MG's servers have been up and down all week . Put it on there 7kW and 21 kW chargers and it was fine (of course it was).
Fwiw I think it's the two pins at the bottom.
I'm on holiday next week so will take it back in the week after.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my first ccs communication failure last week .
Initially I thought I was doing something stupid but 3 Tesla chargers wouldn't work and the another on at a local harvester couldn't see the car .
All week I've charged on my granny charger with no issues . Went to Tesla again this morning same problem. Fortunately my dealer is just round the corner from work.
Dropped in to be told that MG's servers have been up and down all week . Put it on there 7kw and 21 kw chargers and it was fine (of course it was)
Fwiw I think it's the two pins at the bottom .
I'm on holiday next week so will take it back in the week after .
The two bottom pins where full of water 1st time I tried to DC charge worth checking if same and dry with some tissue

The two bottom pins where full of water 1st time I tried to DC charge worth checking
Although the AC pins, including the bottom two, aren't actually used in DC charging. The CCS2 plug has just space where the bottom pins are in the socket.

Though if you mean the really bottom huge DC pins, you definitely don't want those wet when DC charging 😯

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 526 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back