Cold weather range test completed today...on my driving it’s really very good.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I've managed to get my worst range to date. 100 miles with 11 miles left, so 111 total!

This was all done during, give or take, 0° temperatures. Mainly wet roads, some driving rain and wind, and about a third of it was motorway at about 60 to 65 mph

A combination of heating and aircon on most of the time as well to keep me warm and the car screens clear.

Not too bad all considered. Although the MG is currently fine for my needs. I think this convinces me that the perfect all condition battery size for me will be about 75 to 80 kWh, so this is what I'll be looking for in my next EV. :)

Just another observation, I don't know if this is range left, temperature, or a combination of the two related, as I'd not noticed the phenomenon before, . but today whilst the car was down to 2 bars left, with the first solid range warning, my power was limited to a maximum of 50% and this tapered lower as I gained speed. Out of interest I looked at the volts\amp screen and it seemed to be limiting current to about 90a max. I also noted that as the voltage dropped to 356v under load the car cut power every time as I hit this so it never dropped below this bottom voltage figure.

I had reduced power today. I didn’t check the voltage screen but the power meter wouldn’t go over 30%. The SoC was around 22% and it was-1°C outside. Going up a 10% hill the car slowed down from 30mph to 26mph flat out! Not good.

I had reduced power today. I didn’t check the voltage screen but the power meter wouldn’t go over 30%. The SoC was around 22% and it was-1°C outside. Going up a 10% hill the car slowed down from 30mph to 26mph flat out! Not good.
Wow! What drive mode were you in?

Not too bad all considered. Although the MG is currently fine for my needs. I think this convinces me that the perfect all condition battery size for me will be about 75 to 80 kWh, so this is what I'll be looking for in my next EV. :)
Yes my thinking has been like this for some time. I'm sure MG could design a bigger battery that took up some of the spare space underneath. I'd happily pay 6/8K for that....range as good as a Kona or eNero but a better car for my needs....IMO......win win.?

Although the MG range is not fantastic I think that the way it is predicted is much less misleading than say on a Tesla Model 3. On the Model 3 the mileage shown next to the battery is always based on the figure used to give the vehicle range in tests - this doesn’t change based on history. So, for example - 75kw battery, 4miles/kwhr = range 300miles (less any battery degradation). If 50% battery - range 150miles etc. I’ve simplified the numbers. This is almost never achievable in the real world. On the other hand in the MG the range shown is usually at least a realistic reflection of what is actually achievable based on driving history - which is much more realistic. If the MG followed Tesla it would look like 44.5kw battery, 4miles/kwhr = range 178miles. 50% battery range 89miles etc.

Although the MG range is not fantastic I think that the way it is predicted is much less misleading than say on a Tesla Model 3. On the Model 3 the mileage shown next to the battery is always based on the figure used to give the vehicle range in tests - this doesn’t change based on history. So, for example - 75kw battery, 4miles/kwhr = range 300miles (less any battery degradation). If 50% battery - range 150miles etc. I’ve simplified the numbers. This is almost never achievable in the real world. On the other hand in the MG the range shown is usually at least a realistic reflection of what is actually achievable based on driving history - which is much more realistic. If the MG followed Tesla it would look like 44.5kw battery, 4miles/kwhr = range 178miles. 50% battery range 89miles etc.
But MG state the usable battery capacity is 35.6kWh

I agree it is better to judge range based on driving styles etc . All Petrol cars do that i think .

Has anyone with these low, BMS induced GOM figures actually taken it down to the wire to see if it's real ?

My voltage is 446V. This is the lowest I have taken mine recently. I had 10% left according to the car when I plugged it in.
A0E80CA5-B391-4395-A7A6-B21549542FB3.jpeg

Hi All,
We just seem to be going round and round with this discussions on range / GOM and not getting anywhere.
I have tried to explain in clear but basic scientific detail how GOM works several times on this platform and also explain why the various assumptions and calculations members have been making are wrong.
Unfortunately my efforts have meet with a similar response as that of those who claim Trump won the American elections. Some claim their GOMs are super natural and give ranges over 200miles and others claiming their GOMs show super low range of below 100miles. Others also have a theory that our Chinese made GOMs are sub-standard quality and are malfunctioning.
It seems no one is willing to accept the basic truth which is that they simply do not know exactly how the GOM works.
Well happy days...... I am sure nothing more can be said on this issue of range/GOM other than to say in the eSUV class the ZS EV has the lowest range of all eSUVs on the market.
In NORMAL driving conditions with in-car conditions appropriate for weather, the average ZS EV will do about 100miles or more in deep winter and about 140miles or more in high summer.
My recommendation is simply enjoy the ZS EV with all it's basic in-car comforts and drive safely within the range your GOM shows. Have confidence in the ZS EV GOM. In my humble opinion our GOM is one of the best on the market.

Hi All,
We just seem to be going round and round with this discussions on range / GOM and not getting anywhere.
I have tried to explain in clear but basic scientific detail how GOM works several times on this platform and also explain why the various assumptions and calculations members have been making are wrong.
Unfortunately my efforts have meet with a similar response as that of those who claim Trump won the American elections. Some claim their GOMs are super natural and give ranges over 200miles and others claiming their GOMs show super low range of below 100miles. Others also have a theory that our Chinese made GOMs are sub-standard quality and are malfunctioning.
It seems no one is willing to accept the basic truth which is that they simply do not know exactly how the GOM works.
Well happy days...... I am sure nothing more can be said on this issue of range/GOM other than to say in the eSUV class the ZS EV has the lowest range of all eSUVs on the market.
In NORMAL driving conditions with in-car conditions appropriate for weather, the average ZS EV will do about 100miles or more in deep winter and about 140miles or more in high summer.
My recommendation is simply enjoy the ZS EV with all it's basic in-car comforts and drive safely within the range your GOM shows. Have confidence in the ZS EV GOM. In my humble opinion our GOM is one of the best on the market.
I agree with everyrhong you just wrote ,but in my experience you can add 20 miles onto your figures

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom