• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Efficacy of Aero Wheel Covers

JimB

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Reading the thread headed 'Rust already?!!!' and folk considering running the car without the covers and fitting accessories to plug the central void etc I couldn't help wondering (it's rumoured that I'm a cynic 😇) if the 'aero covers' actually have any aerodynamic benefit and it's simply cheaper to put low cost alloys on and tart them up with cheapo plastic covers like the ones I put on my Austin A35 55 years ago.

It'll be a while before actual experience will produce any semblance of an answer to that.

I noted someone, may have been a video reviewer, saying it would be cheaper kerbing the plastics than the alloys and I could understand that if the cars had 21" wheels on them, and the plastics won't save the alloys from anything other than a mild brush anyway.

At least the cars are fitted with alloy wheels despite the fact that they could have saved money by fitting steels on the whole range and with the plastic covers in place they would look the same and be just as aerodynamically efficient, albeit a bit heavier.

Edit: The EU version equivelant of the SE SR has 16" steels with black covers, with range of 218 miles.

Sometimes I sits here and thinks, but mostly I just sits, watching my silent phone 🤔😴😴

Last edited:
At least the cars are fitted with alloy wheels despite the fact that they could have saved money by fitting steels on the whole range and with the plastic covers in place they would look the same and be just as aerodynamically efficient, albeit a bit heavier.
Steel wheels are lighter, particularly in 16" compared to 17". But the UK arm dictates that we need 17" alloys - why?

Me too, but then I lived in the Alps and steels are a lot more robust, although I managed to avoid slides in the snow to prove it..

I am waiting to get my 👀 on them in the flesh so to speak before making an executive decision re plastic covers y/n, plain alloys or changing them completely and fitting alloygators either way

Alan

I am waiting to get my 👀 on them in the flesh so to speak before making an executive decision re plastic covers y/n, plain alloys or changing them completely and fitting alloygators either way

Alan
This is what I genuinely don't understand. Who cares what wheels look like?

I do, in the same way I like to make sure my shoes match my trousers. Socks too....
Why? My socks don't always match. One wears out so I wear it with another odd one. They still perform the same function. Are you scared about what other people think of you?

Why? My socks don't always match. One wears out so I wear it with another odd one. They still perform the same function. Are you scared about what other people think of you?
Some people like to have a presentable appearance and shower daily... others don't give a fig (& maybe don't have friends). None of these choices have to be for any reason other than feeling good about oneself, or just for enjoyment of the small things in life irrespective of what others may think. It doesn't have to be justified - live and let live.

Some people like to have a presentable appearance and shower daily... others don't give a fig (& maybe don't have friends). None of these choices have to be for any reason other than feeling good about oneself, or just for enjoyment of the small things in life irrespective of what others may think. It doesn't have to be justified - live and let live.
I agree with the part about enjoying things irrespective of what people think and not having to justify it. If I'm questioning something/someone it's to genuinely understand other people.

What I don't get is the insinuation that somebody who doesn't look a certain way would have less friends. I'm pretty sure my friends are more interested in other things than my looks.

Fancy wheels are not going to change the fact it's a budget Chinese hatchback, why not just buy a range rover like every other person trying to keep up with the Joneses?

I agree with the part about enjoying things irrespective of what people think and not having to justify it. If I'm questioning something/someone it's to genuinely understand other people.

What I don't get is the insinuation that somebody who doesn't look a certain way would have less friends. I'm pretty sure my friends are more interested in other things than my looks.

Fancy wheels are not going to change the fact it's a budget Chinese hatchback, why not just buy a range rover like every other person trying to keep up with the Joneses?
There doesn't have to be any element of trying to "keep up" with anybody, or making it other than what it is. For myself I would only view it that way if I had some feeling of inferiority to start with. In the same vein I don't leave my front door unpainted, or not bother putting flowers in the garden just because our house will never ever be a stately home🤷‍♂️.

The badge is there front and centre - the price, make or model shouldn't mean not having fun and making mods in whatever way pleases. I enjoy seeing the different tweaks people make to their MGs whether it be nicer wheels, or anything else.

And some people like to cripple their feet by wearing good looking and uncomfortable shoes. Yep, we all have different priorities..
Been there, done that :LOL:. Thankfully we don't have to trot around in functional sackcloth and ugly clogs just because we'll never be royal.

Last edited:
There doesn't have to be any element of trying to "keep up" with anybody, or making it other than what it is. For myself I would only view it that way if I had some feeling of inferiority to start with. In the same vein I don't leave my front door unpainted, or not bother putting flowers in the garden just because our house will never ever be a stately home🤷‍♂️.

The badge is there front and centre - the price, make or model shouldn't mean not having fun and making mods in whatever way pleases. I enjoy seeing the different tweaks people make to their MGs whether it be nicer wheels, or anything else.

Been there, done that :LOL:. Thankfully we don't have to trot around in functional sackcloth and ugly clogs just because we'll never be royal.
Good points but doing those things don't usually have negative side effects. Bigger wheels almost always spoil the ride and make the tires cost significantly more for no other benefit than looking "good" to other people. I guess it's just because I think of a car purely as a tool, I'm about as interested in fancy alloys as I would be a gold plated screwdriver.

Good points but doing those things don't usually have negative side effects. Bigger wheels almost always spoil the ride and make the tires cost significantly more for no other benefit than looking "good" to other people. I guess it's just because I think of a car purely as a tool, I'm about as interested in fancy alloys as I would be a gold plated screwdriver.
I'm struggling to make a useful comment in the thread I started - just spent 30 minutes typing one then deleting it as too controversial but I will say I agree with your more recent posts.

My original post was rooted in the increasing feeling that in many ev specs, including the MG4, we are deeply into the scenario of the song about The King's New Suit of Clothes and despite being swept along in the general hysteria and trading 9 bottles of Aldi's Highland Black for a deposit on one really cannot convince myself that £32,000 is worth paying for quite a small family car.

I'm a big fan of the electric driving experience and love the idea of a greener world but, good grief, even if you can afford it surely there has to be a limit.

I like a nicely turned wheel - my Mitsu Outlander phev has really nice proper diamond cut ones, mysteriously undamaged by weather or kerbs and far better looking than any MG4 offerings, I didn't buy the car for it's wheels but for it's suitability as (as you say) a tool which fitted my needs 7 years ago and thankfully still does.

The question as to whether the King is in the altogether or not remains unanswered for me for the moment as I too have no interest in spending money in the vain attempt to impress others.

And you're right in saying that in terms of efficiency size (wheels) matters.

Apart from comfort, efficiency decreases with increasing wheel size.

Therein maybe lies the difference; for many a car isn't just about dry practicality and getting from A to B. Ultimately if the impact on efficacy and comfort as a result of changing the wheels in some way is tolerable to the person spending the money, then so be it. I don't assume it's just to impress others, since I don't know them or their mind.

It's about "identifying" as a member of a certain tribe. Be it flashy wheels, a big spoiler, bean can exhaust, neon lights etc. Each to their own, just it disappoints me when these "fashion items" as provided as standard by the manufacturer detract from the utility of the car. It's almost like the only type of Welly Boots having high heels "because that's what appeals to Girls". Maybe, but I just want Welly Boots to keep my feet dry and not for fashion.

My Verso has lived for 8 years without kerbing, whereas the leaf has not. I think its to do with the tyre width being larger than the alloys.... I am sure someone is coming along in a moment to clarify :unsure:

My Verso has lived for 8 years without kerbing, whereas the leaf has not. I think its to do with the tyre width being larger than the alloys.... I am sure someone is coming along in a moment to clarify :unsure:
Clearly a large wheel 21" / 22" (😱) will have very low profile tyres therefore the actual wheel rim will be much closer to the ground and much more likely to be below the height of standard kerbs compared to a 16" wheel with high profile tyres.

The arithmetic suggests that the rim of a 22" wheel will be 3" closer to the ground than a 16" wheel.

The risk of kerbing is additionally dependant on the overall diameter of the tyre / wheel combination which obviously varies considerably depending on the vehicle to which it is fitted.

In addition, large wheels with low profile tyres have higher rolling resistance which requires more fuel, be it oil or grid based, to overcome it.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 423 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel