Fogging up?

Ooh, that does seem a bit much..
Definitely no damp anywhere?
Under the boot floor (someone mentioned leaky tailgate seals last weeks)

That could be for aerodynamics.

AC will dramatically reduce fogging because it dehumidifies the air, however, you shouldn't need AC in summer so if there is excessive fogging with the fan on and AC off, it suggests damp may be getting in somewhere.

What I’ve noticed in mine is that while the rubber seals are good with no obvious leaking, within the frame of the door there is an awful lot of water pooling, so much so that when the door is opened a lot comes out (we’ve had some quite heavy rain in the past week).

This happens on every door and I think this is down to the design rather than something failing, although is it a failing if this much rain can get around the door frame, so I wonder if this is contributing to the misting?

The car is very well sound insulated too, so again maybe a contributing factor?

What I’ve noticed in mine is that while the rubber seals are good with no obvious leaking, within the frame of the door there is an awful lot of water pooling, so much so that when the door is opened a lot comes out (we’ve had some quite heavy rain in the past week).

This happens on every door and I think this is down to the design rather than something failing, although is it a failing if this much rain can get around the door frame, so I wonder if this is contributing to the misting?

The car is very well sound insulated too, so again maybe a contributing factor?
Could be a combination of things yes, as others have said.

Worth checking your door seals closely and carpets - some people have had leaky windscreens due to poor sealing, front quarterlights misaligned and ill-fitting or damaged door seals. This seems to be rare and much less common on more recent cars but could contribute.

I haven't noticed water pooling in my doors - though I am not quite sure what you mean ... inside the door itself?

Mine drops 10 miles of range on the GoM for a full battery, or in proportion. It's probably nominal, varying with the heat and fan speed.

However, I'm really not seeing fogging with it off. This morning I started with a bit of heating as it was only 10C and the car had been in the cold garage all night. I had internal air circulation selected. After a few miles I could feel solar gain heating the car so I just turned it off completely. No fogging at all for the rest of the journey despite air circulation still being internal.

Could be a combination of things yes, as others have said.

Worth checking your door seals closely and carpets - some people have had leaky windscreens due to poor sealing, front quarterlights misaligned and ill-fitting or damaged door seals. This seems to be rare and much less common on more recent cars but could contribute.

I haven't noticed water pooling in my doors - though I am not quite sure what you mean ... inside the door itself?
My driveway is on a slight slope so the nose points up hill so this may also be an issue, but the water seems to be able to get through the gaps between the door and frame, but as the seals are good no water gets in the actual car passenger area, but as soon as the door has opened, it cascades out from the boom of the door frame where it’s possibly pooled.

Got very wet feet the first time it happened and it had been heavily raining so this may have been a factor, but will keep an eye on it.

My driveway is on a slight slope so the nose points up hill so this may also be an issue, but the water seems to be able to get through the gaps between the door and frame, but as the seals are good no water gets in the actual car passenger area, but as soon as the door has opened, it cascades out from the boom of the door frame where it’s possibly pooled.

Got very wet feet the first time it happened and it had been heavily raining so this may have been a factor, but will keep an eye on it.
Ah... yes with big sills I suppose that can happen. I will look out for it.

Ooh, that does seem a bit much..
Definitely no damp anywhere?
Under the boot floor (someone mentioned leaky tailgate seals last weeks)
That was my first thought, but I couldn't identify any leaks or damp areas anywhere. It was hard to defog from day one.
Could be because the air vents close when the MG4 is off?
That's a good thought. Do you know if they affect interior ventilation as well? I was under the impression they were only relevant for cooling the vehicle's battery and stuff. But - if I read this thread correctly - the Trophies are the foggy ones.

Certainly been reported leaks from windows seals, door seals and boot seals now, worth checking round everywhere and also the lowest point in the car's interior.
I found the carpet damp in the lowest spot of my passenger footwell (all around it was dry) soaked up from the insulation, really small spot but enough to cause the damp inside the windows, granted another make of car altogether but worth checking

When I first got the car, it was winter, and in the mornings, the front windscreen was covered in small droplets. I have to wipe the screen with a cloth. This no longer happens. May be when it is winter it will be back. We will see.
However, the car mists more than my other cars. Like everyone else the AC gets rid of it, or if I crack the window a bit. The reason I believe is, that the cars are very airtight. In Winter I use the reflective screen on the windscreen to stop it frosting over. You secure these by closing them in the doors. When I use it with my other cars, sometimes when it is very windy, it flys off, indicating the closed doors were not tight enough to hold them against strong pulls. With the MG4 they stay put. This tells me when the doors close they are more airtight than my other cars. So, like everything else so far, not a major issue. You just need to learn about the behavior of your new car.

Last edited:
I too have had similar “fogging” problems which I reported in another thread.
still unable to find out the cause so no “good” solution yet, other than switching the AC and/or windscreen demister on, the the fogging disappears fairly quickly then.
So I believe I’m not the only one experiencing this problem (NOT that I’m pleased with the situation).

I too have had similar “fogging” problems which I reported in another thread.
still unable to find out the cause so no “good” solution yet, other than switching the AC and/or windscreen demister on, the the fogging disappears fairly quickly then.
So I believe I’m not the only one experiencing this problem (NOT that I’m pleased with the situation).
In the ZS you have to make sure that intake air is set to outside, not auto or recirc, or it will fog the windows.

My new (fabulous!) MG4 Trophy keeps fogging up! The recirculation setting is set
to outside air but unless the fan is on no air appears to be coming in. Is it always necessary to have fan on (?battery drain?) Or shouldn't the forward motion of the car let air in? Any thoughts anyone? Many thanks!
Very much depends on the outside / inside air temperature difference. Generally I find keeping the fan on low speed & set to windscreen only keeps everything clear, with the odd higher blast if necessary. Doesn't seem to make a huge difference to range, but make sure the AC is off.

In the ZS you have to make sure that intake air is set to outside, not auto or recirc, or it will fog the windows.
Working as a manufacturer of AC Units , i know that having the AC on should remove all the moisture from the Air inside the car . I use the AC as much in the winter as the summer as the system should reduce the moisture content , Having driven Toyota's for the last 14 years and always having the AC on and system set to Auto there has been no fogging , how ever with the same settings applied to my new MG4 this has started to happen , 35mins into my 1 hour commute.

i will raising this as a safety concern with the dealer later today . i will share there response

I have my HVAC set to 26C Auto and when I switch it off there is definitely some air flow through the vents.
Based on that, I reckon you need to put it on a preferred setting with it on first then turn it off.
What puzzles me though is why would you want ambient air at -2C this time of year flowing through, wouldn't that frost the screen up, maybe it's frost on the screen not mist ? :unsure:

Definitely mist on my screen , it started to fog up after 30/35 minutes of driving , so the cabin was warm , i get the feeling from the threads that AUTO setting does not work like the Toyota system on my previous vehicle
that manages air direction , cabin recirc as well as temperature .

Its seems that the Electronic systems need much more work

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep mine fogs really badly - even from the day of collection from the dealer. I presume there's a seal that's not working quite as it should.

You get in the car any time of day and it immediately fogs.

Very much depends on the outside / inside air temperature difference. Generally I find keeping the fan on low speed & set to windscreen only keeps everything clear, with the odd higher blast if necessary. Doesn't seem to make a huge difference to range, but make sure the AC is off.
Climate Control systems should sort this out though - all the other cars I've owned with this have done it automatically (yep, all six others, all from different brands).

And you should leave the AC on as it draws moisture out of the air.

Last edited:
Yep mine fogs really badly - even from the day of collection from the dealer. I presume there's a seal that's not working quite as it should.

You get in the car any time of day and it immediately fogs.
I experienced the same issue with fogging until I adjusted the air recycling setting from auto to exclusively use outside air (indicated by the icon with an arrow from outside the car pointing inward). Since making this change, I haven't encountered any further problems with window fogging.

I think it's the auto mode for the air recycle is just too greedy to re-use old air, for it to keep the most heat inside the car, and it's probably not going "through" the AC anymore. Anyhow, after I changed this setting the fogging problem went away completely.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 485 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 83 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel