Ok, though I don't see why they couldn't test that themselves rather than wait for you to test at home and have to tell them.

Hope it gets sorted soon.
To be fair, they rang about 445pm and said they'd just done the second update. I suspect they had issues getting them installed. They also don't have the part in stock.

They don't need me to go back though, just ring and they'll order the part and let me know when they get it for fitting.

Mine went in to my dealer today for this issue. They updated the charging module which didn't fix it. Then updated what they called the instrument pack. Unfortunately, it still doesn't charge. Got home and it stopped after about 3 minutes.

On the plus side, my ACC now goes up in 1mph increments so I'm hoping the ACC now performs better. I also hope the auto lights are better.

LKA still seemed to want to kill me on our country back roads. Narrow road with no markings. Drive to the left as you do, LKA pulls me into the centre of the road. Mad.

Anyway, dealer said if it didn't charge properly, they would replace the charger unit. So will make the call in the morning.
Do remember that the manual states LKA needs markers to work properly. If not it should be disabled.

Do remember that the manual states LKA needs markers to work properly. If not it should be disabled.
I disable it as soon as I get in. Thought I'd give it a try after updates.

It's a shame the system isn't clever enough to work out there are no markers and not make any corrections until there are.

Good morning all - first time poster here. All help appreciated
  • Charged car fully on granny charger at friend's house. all good
  • drove home and put car on slow street charger
  • the car charged for an hour/6kw and then stopped
  • replugged in and same thing happened
  • moved to another charger and same thing happened
does anybody know why this happens or has a solution?

Thanks

Assuming it hasn't got the rear wiper and is a 3 phase car check the thread that goes through the failing CCUs on this model, as it sounds like your is going the same way.

Dealer will probably try software updates before replacing the CCU. The symptoms are it will stop charging on any AC charger but will still rapid charge on a DC CCS charger.

Probably fairly simple for the dealers to do but as regards cost - no idea as they are all still under warranty. Get it booked in to the dealer to sort but ensure you have plenty of evidence e.g. tried other AC chargers including granny charger and same problem occurs on all of them.

@Rolfe - maybe merge this thread into the other one?

Mine was in today for the CCU replacement. Software updates done last week which didn't work, CCU done today.

Apparently it's still not charging properly so they've kept it in. Waiting for next steps from MG. Hopefully it's just a software thing they need to apply or something post install. We'll see.

Mine was in today for the CCU replacement. Software updates done last week which didn't work, CCU done today.

Apparently it's still not charging properly so they've kept it in. Waiting for next steps from MG. Hopefully it's just a software thing they need to apply or something post install. We'll see.
Mine had updates before, then new CCU, then updates after and they had to redo the updates after because "they didn't properly apply", apparently the update tool can say "done" before all the updates have finished!

Mine had updates before, then new CCU, then updates after and they had to redo the updates after because "they didn't properly apply", apparently the update tool can say "done" before all the updates have finished!
Ah, OK! That makes sense....sort of!

Hopefully all will be well in the morning. The tech is ringing me with an update tomorrow.

I guess I'll then have to check the 80% charging this and make sure it does actually stop when told.

Got to say again though, my dealer is fantastic. Great comms, great service and very willing to help and do things right. It would seem MG let dealers down with the way they do things.

Last edited:
Car due to go back in Monday coming for the replacement handle to be fitted, and software updates to fix the charging issue. Took a while to book back in as we've been away and it's not been overly urgent with the DC charging still working.
Might be delayed if they don't have a courtesy car for me though. I've also asked them to test the AC charging before calling me to say it's ready to collect, as I'm anticipating it not being fixed via software.

Edit: Originally, I thought I had an issue with my Zappi not being able to charge the car, but after testing other AC charging points (cutting out after fifteen minutes or less) and contacting the dealer, I eventually found out it was an issue with the car, namely the charge control unit, which needed replacing. After a new CCU was fitted, the car now charges normally at home on the Zappi (AC charging), though a separate software update was needed to limit the car to 80% when doing such a charge on my SE Long Range. Without that software update, the car was ignoring the 80% limit and charging up to 100%.

For those members who charge their MG4s with a Zappi, has this ever happened to you? The first time it happened was on Sunday. I’d set the car to charge to 80% from something like 45% and let it do its thing. Around the time I expected it to have finished I checked the Zappi app and found it had finished earlier than expected. It had actually stopped charging at 74%. I thought that was odd and then started the Zappi again to finish the charge to 80%, but again it stopped at 76%. Okay, this is not normal. A third attempt got the car charging and balancing to 80%. 🤔

I plugged it in this evening to charge the car from 67% to 80% and the Zappi stopped at 78%. The second attempt got it charging and balancing to 80%. I’ve updated the Zappi firmware, just in case that’s the issue, but I’m perplexed as to what could be the cause of this. Any ideas guys? Could it be the car, or is there something I’m not doing correctly? Any help is appreciated. I haven’t had any problems in the last seven months of charging until last Sunday.
Hi.
I have experienced exactly the same problem. MG4 and Zappi 2 (and Intelligent Octopus Go) target charge 80%. It worked ok from November 2023 until mid March this year. The charge stops after less than half an hour. The Zappi message was "Charge complete" or "Charge prevented by EV". Same result using a public AC charger. The AC charger supplied with the car will not charge the car at all. DC charging (Shell 50amp DC charger) does work so was able to continue using the car whilst waiting 6 weeks for an MG service appointment.
MG have finally acknowledged that the CCU needs replacing so I might get my car back after nearly 2 weeks with MG (they're waiting for the part).

Hi.
I have experienced exactly the same problem. MG4 and Zappi 2 (and Intelligent Octopus Go) target charge 80%. It worked ok from November 2023 until mid March this year. The charge stops after less than half an hour. The Zappi message was "Charge complete" or "Charge prevented by EV". Same result using a public AC charger. The AC charger supplied with the car will not charge the car at all. DC charging (Shell 50amp DC charger) does work so was able to continue using the car whilst waiting 6 weeks for an MG service appointment.
MG have finally acknowledged that the CCU needs replacing so I might get my car back after nearly 2 weeks with MG (they're waiting for the part).
Exactly the same experience as me. On the plus side though, at least your car gets the latest module updates as part of their trial and error!

Picked the cable up on Thursday and still waiting for the CCU to be delivered, the assistant told me she is waiting for two units as another MG4 has the same issue so it appears to be a common fault.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back