My dad finally got his CCU replacement on 4th March, and both AC and DC charging now working. Not sure yet if he's got the issue where it ignores the charge limit, but will report back when he has tried it.
Thanks for the update evmick. I’m glad your Father is again able to charge on AC.

Just got the car back from my third visit (first to diagnose back in Dec CCU fault, second to fit new CCU).

I asked them to look at:
1. Not obeying charge limit, always charging to 100%.
2. eCall SOS constantly failing, annoying.
3. Remote pre-heating of the cabin always fails regardless of plugged in or not, charging or not.

They said that at the previous visit not all the updates had been applied. Apparently there's a bug in the MG software that they use that doesn't always apply everything and declares 'done' when it isn't.

I've been assured I now have everything.

Upshot is:
1. Should be fixed, am testing it tonight.
2. Should be fixed, apparently this is a brand new update that addresses data capacity restrictions that was causing it to fail. Will see if it behaves better - no failures on way home from dealer at least.
3. Is a known issue with no solution yet, technical case opened with MG and I'll hear back when there's a solution.

Dammit! I spoke too soon, now the car is refusing to AC charge at all.

It is still DC charging, I am testing whether or not it observes the limit on DC. I shall also try my granny lead too.

Edit: I have got a bunch of things to try and will report back when I have done them, but I fear I might be back to the original problem.

Last edited:

It is still DC charging, I am testing whether or not it observes the limit on DC. I shall also try my granny lead too.

Edit: I have got a bunch of things to try and will report back when I have done them, but I fear I might be back to the original problem.
I had a problem getting my Zappi to start a charge last night despite the Octopus app having the time set. I finished up having a look at the Zappi to find it had a firmware update to install. I wish myenergi would notify people instead of finding out because of it not charging.

Anyway once I had done the firmware update the charger then set off charging. So if you haven’t done so check your Zappi is updated.

Ok, I've run some tests:

1. DC charging is working fine and it observes the charge limits properly. So we have some progress there which is good. So far the phone has been fine too, but it is early days.

2. AC charging is not working at all:

a) On my home Zappi it tries to charge the car and the car refuses the charge. I have tried rebooting the Zappi, doing firmware updates, no change and this was working last night as I charged the car up then.

b) On my Granny charger it tries to start charging and then cuts out with a flashing green light and then it tries again (I can hear the contactors on the battery cycling and connecting and reconnecting). I didn't leave it doing this for more than a few minutes as I don't know if the repeated cycling might be harmful. The car kept "bonging" unhappily throughout.

Therefore I am back to the original fault pre-CCU change, that AC charging isn't working. It is very unlikely that both my Zappi and the MG Granny charger have suddenly failed on the same day as the updates.

Really hope you get this sorted, I’m going to ask MG not to update anything when it goes in for service, it’s working fine now and don’t want to risk that changing.

I can live with R40 and it’s quirks, I won’t get modules update either unless that invalidates warranty and will check it charges before leaving.

Good luck

Really hope you get this sorted, I’m going to ask MG not to update anything when it goes in for service, it’s working fine now and don’t want to risk that changing.

I can live with R40 and it’s quirks, I won’t get modules update either unless that invalidates warranty and will check it charges before leaving.

Good luck
Thanks. It isn't a great experience. I don't blame the dealer, the update system sounds like a complete disaster.

It is a first world problem, so I don't want to overplay it.

But it is gradually shifting me to the position of not having an MG again, which is sad, but this is taking up a lot of my time now and costing money with all the DC charging, which makes the MG4 not as cost effective as it should be.

Hopefully there's a simple resolution but no doubt I will need to go back to the dealer again.

Ok, I've run some tests:

1. DC charging is working fine and it observes the charge limits properly. So we have some progress there which is good. So far the phone has been fine too, but it is early days.

2. AC charging is not working at all:

a) On my home Zappi it tries to charge the car and the car refuses the charge. I have tried rebooting the Zappi, doing firmware updates, no change and this was working last night as I charged the car up then.

b) On my Granny charger it tries to start charging and then cuts out with a flashing green light and then it tries again (I can hear the contactors on the battery cycling and connecting and reconnecting). I didn't leave it doing this for more than a few minutes as I don't know if the repeated cycling might be harmful. The car kept "bonging" unhappily throughout.

Therefore I am back to the original fault pre-CCU change, that AC charging isn't working. It is very unlikely that both my Zappi and the MG Granny charger have suddenly failed on the same day as the updates.
Well it sounds like you have tried everything and the fault hasn’t been resolved.

Well it sounds like you have tried everything and the fault hasn’t been resolved.
Thanks for your suggestion, I have also tried:

• Keeping car unlocked throughout.
  • Locking the car before charging.
  • Locking the car once connected (what I normally do).

I will also try a full shutdown before charging tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will take another look at that.
I have found both at home and at a hotel I stayed at over Christmas that had a AC charger that the car wouldn’t start charging till I have locked the car.

So I would pull up to the charger open the car charging flap connect the charger cable then lock the car and it would start charging immediately. If at home then it would start charging via the Octopus smart charging times.

So far as DC charging it makes no difference as to whether the car is locked or unlocked it just starts charging once you have flashed your card after connecting the car to the charger.

Just had that issue with the Zappi firmware last night but once I had updated the firmware it worked fine.

Sorry to hear you’re having problems yet again, tsedge. I thought we’d seen the back of this issue. I hope it’s just a software issue and not a faulty brand new CCU.

The new CCU was working fine before the updates, so I am fairly certain it is a software problem.

What I don't really understand is why the dealer who had your car to sort out charging issues didn't test it before handing back.

Also, it's not like it's the first time they have tried to fix it.

That's the bit I'd be most frustrated with I think.

There's a good chance you are right in that it's a software problem. Others who have had the non AC charging problem have had it fixed by a software update.

Could it be that the CCU software isn't the problem but another bit of software is disrupting it?

What I don't really understand is why the dealer who had your car to sort out charging issues didn't test it before handing back.

Also, it's not like it's the first time they have tried to fix it.

That's the bit I'd be most frustrated with I think.
They say they did test it briefly and it worked. I can't say if they actually did or not.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back