Lane Assist Trying To Kill Me!

I wonder how much the conditions affected it? It was dark, wet, no street light as opposed to daylight and dry, so if there is a lot of water on the windscreen camera and spray on the other bumper mount cam, I wonder if the what’s being received from the camera isn’t good enough quality for the LKA system to work with ?

I agree, LKA is extremely dangerous. Its already been established on other threads that for some reason the Trophy has the most severe LKA. To an extent it depends on the type of roads you use. I'm mostly A and B class rural roads. Without exaggeration I will declare the car is pretty much undriveable with it on and down right dangerous. It has steered me towards oncoming traffic and prevented me from turning into corners. It also appears there may have been some sort of demonstrator mode software used for prospectus purchasers and journalists taking it for test drives.
To be clear, my Trophy doesn't do this - they don't all do it. I have never had an occasion where it has grabbed the wheel hard. If you have this on any MG4 you are probably missing some key module updates.

That said, even the gentle tugs are annoying so I usually switch it off on startup which is easy enough.

It would be nice if I could save all my settings under my user name and have a shortcut button to cycle through from the defaults to my user, but even as it is, it is no biggie.

I now don’t believe mine has had the latest updates as part of the PDI despite my asking for them both over the phone and via email.

I already brought up with them when I collected it the fact that the Infotainment system is not on R33, and with the twitchy LKA too, I’m certain in my mind they’ve not applied the updates, so I will contact the dealer about getting them applied, and asking to see the before and after version number.

It’s a shame they’re not visible anywhere, however this is probably deliberate so to avoid being flooded with update work rather than the more complex service and fixing of ICE/hybrid vehicles.

However, not doing it as part of PDI is not acceptable, IMHO.

After lurking in this forum for the last 6 months awaiting my Trophy, I had an idea of what to expect when the LKA kicked in while driving, but if someone that wasn’t aware had picked this car up and drove it at over the speed required for it to activate, I wonder how they’d have coped or had any idea what was happening with the car behaving in this manner, especially if they were on a motorway or other busy road?

Just want to add that I do agree that MG should recall to make sure all MG4s have the necessary LKA updates. It should be mandatory and I recommend people who have problems like this with LKA contact DVSA on safety grounds and open a case - this has a very real chance of MG being forced to do a recall if enough people complain.

We've had our MG4 for 2 months now but I was only able to drive it for the first time the other day and even though I knew about LKA issues and my wife's experience with it I was still surprised how bad it was. I put it onto alert only which my wife normally does but what surprised me was that it comes on when using cruise control. Not good on quiet B roads. Wasn't long before I turned off cruise control. A little annoying as I've used cruise control for many years. 🙄

I have had my MG4 EV for approximately 4 weeks (2,000 miles and counting!) and my lane assist is most definitely trying to kill me!

Leaving it in emergency lane assist is asking for an accident, the car reacts so violently that you can quite easily end up in a different lane, or off the road entirely.

The lane keep assist is not much better, the sensitivity of the movement the car makes is not as violent, but it has been known to start to wander into a different lane.

In my meagre opinion MG need to recall and programme (or send an update) to tone down the sharpness of the emergency lane assist!!
I have had my Trophy for around 4 weeks - Whilst it is slightly on the strong side, it can be overpowered and is not stubborn if you hold the steering firm (from my experience any way).
On a side point, it can be turned off in a few taps of the screen - so not really a big issue to overcome if you ask me.

I have had my Trophy for around 4 weeks - Whilst it is slightly on the strong side, it can be overpowered and is not stubborn if you hold the steering firm (from my experience any way).
On a side point, it can be turned off in a few taps of the screen - so not really a big issue to overcome if you ask me.
It is, however it’s not so easy to do when you’re on a motorway in poor conditions. I also don’t want to be overpowering the car at 70 Mph in the wet because of the potential overcompensating.

I found the steering wheel constantly twitching, which is itself is pretty tiring as you’re trying to ensure you’ve got control all the time. Then when the wheel pulled hard to the right for no obvious reason, I pulled back in and slowed right down into the left hand lane to try to negate any effects at higher speed.

Luckily my turn off from the motorway was only about a mile further on, but the short time it was engaged while in the motorway was a real eye opener, and pretty worrying.

I have to disagree with you I'm afraid. It was constant and too much to put up with on a 2.5 hour drive. It's possible that ours hasn't had an appropriate update yet? I'll let y'all know if it improves when it's been in for its first service.

Can it be permanently turned off? This would be a show-stopper for me if we went ZS>4. I don’t mind doing it everytime, but Mrs Zoomy is a less faff sort of girl and I wouldn’t want her compromised by it.

Hmmmm. I suspect the hand of regulation. Maybe LKA has improved since the ZS. What is the point though if everyone turns it off every time?

Last edited:
I have to disagree with you I'm afraid. It was constant and too much to put up with on a 2.5 hour drive. It's possible that ours hasn't had an appropriate update yet? I'll let y'all know if it improves when it's been in for its first service.
Fair enough. I'm not a fan of it either - I do find it quite easy to turn off - even when driving.

Can it be permanently turned off? This would be a show-stopper for me if we went ZS>4. I don’t mind doing it everytime, but Mrs Zoomy is a less faff sort of girl and I wouldn’t want her compromised by it.

Pick a car where it can be turned off permanently.
When I replaced my rejected 4 I made damn sure my next car could have LKA assist turned off permanently, ether via the settings or via the OBD port by a dealer/aftermarket dongle.

If it was as good as my previous hyundai there'd be no need to turn it off.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back