Lane Assist Trying To Kill Me!

You mean you're never going to get your car serviced by MG?

I dont know yet, it depends on whether anything is required to be done by them to keep the warranty in tact? - is it not like tesla?, in that its only really simple diy changes which are only recommendations - to be honest I've had some shocking experiences with main dealers, so avoid at all costs! - having said that MG costs look reasonable, so it might be worth it.

One of the items is a "paintwork inspection". Fail to get an MG service and the paintwork warranty may be void. 🤷‍♂️

The other advantage of an MG service is the extension to MG Assist (AA cover) for the following year. :)

The other advantage of an MG service is the extension to MG Assist (AA cover) for the following year. :)

And..
If I hadn't gone into MG for my two year service for my MG ZS EV I wouldn't have come out a week later with a new MG4, having received more for the ZS than I paid!

Just put 9% into the battery from free solar and when I went to unplug checked that I have the LKA switched to off and it doesn't default to on.

I need to get the safety software update but now worried that when I do it'll change my default settings, which would be a right pain.

Does the LKA work from the camera only or in combination with the radar?
Would a well placed cow pat ( I was following a tractor officer ) on the radar disable the offending item, as well as Emergency braking , two birds ,one stone, if so what messages would come up and would it affect the operation of the car? I reckon you,ll lose cruise control as well ,but if your main usage is non motorway does it matter. For motorway journeys wipe off the cow muck.
If the camera is the only culprit then some black insulation tape could work, until it rains!
We might revert the car to one from the early 90,s but hey , you takes your choice.
According to the sales literature it uses both front camera and radar.
I stuck some insulating tape over my front bumper camera last week and did few short low speed journeys in it. No error messages. Unfortunately LKA still activates but appeared a bit softer. Can't tell if the harsh ELK was still active.. I need to take it out on a national Speed limit A and B class road to test further which won't be for another week as I'm on holiday.

It doesn't use the bumper camera - it uses the windscreen camera to determine types of vehicles and to detect the lines. And uses the radar for determining distances.

It doesn't use the bumper camera - it uses the windscreen camera to determine types of vehicles and to detect the lines. And uses the radar for determining distances.
I was going to cover up that camera next and see what happens. Don't know if anyone has tried this yet.

I have - inadvertently ... screen got frozen during winter over the camera area. Lots of system/feature alerts with features disabled. :)

I have - inadvertently ... screen got frozen during winter over the camera area. Lots of system/feature alerts with features disabled. :)
So apart from annoying alerts did it affect the driving of the car. From one of your previous replies it appears that the camera makes up the lions share of the MG Pilot features with the radar just for distance control when cruise control is employed?

If the windscreen camera is disabled then all features which use it are also disabled. So no LKA ( \o/ ) or ACC/TJA or AEB etc.

I think I've found a way to turn off LKA permanently using the following settings ...

20230514_203836 (1).jpg

So you keep LKA enabled but just set the assist mode to alert only and then turn off the audible and vibration reminder.

When I drive over lines on the road the only noticeable warning is a red line on the drivers display on the left hand road graphic.

Turning the car off by leaving and locking and then returning and putting it back to ready mode the settings have been preserved.

I think I've found a way to turn off LKA using the following settings ...

View attachment 17509
So you keep LKA enabled but just set the assist mode to alert only and then turn off the audible and vibration reminder.

When I drive over lines on the road the only noticeable warning is a red line on the drivers display on the left hand road graphic.

Turning the car off by leaving and locking and then returning and putting it back to ready mode the settings have been preserved.
Do these options not reset too? It can't be that simple, surely!

I'm sure I've tried that (although I do have an SE not a Trophy, so the options are different). Did you get a Confirm message when you changed to the Alert setting?

In my case I'm fairly sure it always defaults to LKA On, Lane Departure (or whatever the SE version is) and Moderate.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back