Lane Assist Trying To Kill Me!

So your Trophy does not reset LKA to the default (most severe) settings every journey or whenever the drivers door is opened?
I have a LR model.

It always turns the function on but kerps the sensitivity to the lowest and just gives a light tweak to the wheel.

There are no loud beeps or fights with the steering.

I do however turn it off on country roads as you can get the occasional short beep and tweaks felt through the steering. Most people like me dont drive well to the left on a narrow road if nothing is seem coming the other way

I have a LR model.

It always turns the function on but kerps the sensitivity to the lowest and just gives a light tweak to the wheel.

There are no loud beeps or fights with the steering.

I do however turn it off on country roads as you can get the occasional short beep and tweaks felt through the steering. Most people like me dont drive well to the left on a narrow road if nothing is seem coming the other way
I think most Trophys reset to full "kamikaze" mode each trip. I believe earlier models may have be able to turn it off permanently so you must be one of the lucky ones. It is the Emergency Lane Keeping, ELK, that appears in the sub menu of LKA that appears to cause the dangerous white knuckle ride. If I merely turn off ELK and keep LKA active then I only feel the occasional light vibration through the steering which is acceptable but still could do without.

I think most Trophys reset to full "kamikaze" mode each trip. I believe earlier models may have be able to turn it off permanently so you must be one of the lucky ones. It is the Emergency Lane Keeping, ELK, that appears in the sub menu of LKA that appears to cause the dangerous white knuckle ride. If I merely turn off ELK and keep LKA active then I only feel the occasional light vibration through the steering which is acceptable but still could do without.
Mine is a March 2023 delivery. It resets lane keep assist every time but it retains the sensitivity setting. As a result I have it on all the time and it’s no bother.

My dealer has advised there were updates, and one specifically for this if I’m interpreting the mail correctly, that weren’t done as part of the PDI.

Fair play, he has apologised and said it should have been done but wasn’t (no idea why) and has asked me to book the car in, which I will do, but it’s just annoying as it’s a 12 mile trip which I’ll have to take time off work for and while it’s not far, there is no easy/direct way to get back public transport wise.

Anyhow, fingers crossed it’ll do the trick. I’ll just need to get the time off now to get it updated.

My dealer has advised there were updates, and one specifically for this if I’m interpreting the mail correctly, that weren’t done as part of the PDI.

Fair play, he has apologised and said it should have been done but wasn’t (no idea why) and has asked me to book the car in, which I will do, but it’s just annoying as it’s a 12 mile trip which I’ll have to take time off work for and while it’s not far, there is no easy/direct way to get back public transport wise.

Anyhow, fingers crossed it’ll do the trick. I’ll just need to get the time off now to get it updated.
It's a shame they didn't do the updates when they should have done but at least they are now. Aren't they giving you a courtesy car?
I booked mine in for an update at my dealers and was offered a courtesy car without being asked.

It's a shame they didn't do the updates when they should have done but at least they are now. Aren't they giving you a courtesy car?
I booked mine in for an update at my dealers and was offered a courtesy car without being asked.
I haven’t had a chance yet to book it in but it’s a good point. I’ll see if they’ve got one available.

Well mine is an issue, I am going to the dealers on Thursday for an electric window fault (n/s front not working) and will get them to check the software update. In the meantime I have submitted a complaint to NCAP as per okohll's suggestion, lets see what happens, I I will report back.

I have had my MG4 EV for approximately 4 weeks (2,000 miles and counting!) and my lane assist is most definitely trying to kill me!

Leaving it in emergency lane assist is asking for an accident, the car reacts so violently that you can quite easily end up in a different lane, or off the road entirely.

The lane keep assist is not much better, the sensitivity of the movement the car makes is not as violent, but it has been known to start to wander into a different lane.

In my meagre opinion MG need to recall and programme (or send an update) to tone down the sharpness of the emergency lane assist!!
Similar problem with my MGZS Trophy, switched it off after the first week. I was having to use my knees to control the car,

Whether it's because I have an standard range MG4 off the first boat (sheer chance, I might add) or haven't had the safety software update (note to self) I've never noticed any lane keeping assistance at all. Collision warnings and the odd unneeded braking, but no steering twitches and that's on a range of roads too. No idea why I don't get what so many others have described?

Whether it's because I have an standard range MG4 off the first boat (sheer chance, I might add) or haven't had the safety software update (note to self) I've never noticed any lane keeping assistance at all. Collision warnings and the odd unneeded braking, but no steering twitches and that's on a range of roads too. No idea why I don't get what so many others have described?
If you have the SE I don't think that has the Emergency Lane Keeping, ELK, (appears in sub menu of LKA), that steers you into ditches and oncoming traffic. There is also some people mentioning that on earlier models they can permanently turn it off. Your lucky. If your happy with it don't let a dealer update the software.

Lane Assists get moaned about across the board be it ICE or EV a simple search will show the issue goes across all brands, here are just a few examples
Honda Civic
ID 3
Kia
General Redit moan
Hyundai
You can add Quashqai e-Power to that list though it doesn’t default to on and you can turn it off with a button. Never had a problem with my Honda.

Same here on all accounts - and too was lucky by sheer chance - but apparently on the "first boaters", the LKA defaults to off on start up (it says its on until you hit the brake peddle to engage gear and then changes to off) - I have brake assist on - but have only had an odd beep when overtaking parked cars - but never auto brakes (with LKA off)

Same here on all accounts - and too was lucky by sheer chance - but apparently on the "first boaters", the LKA defaults to off on start up (it says its on until you hit the brake peddle to engage gear and then changes to off) - I have brake assist on - but have only had an odd beep when overtaking parked cars - but never auto brakes (with LKA off)

No, the first batchers defaulted to on from the factory, but if you selected off it remembered.
But only as long as they never update the software.
Which isn’t going to happen, so at some point they’re going to be screwed.

Mine is a first-batcher (build date late August '22), and LKA defaults to on and does not remember any changed setting. Always has done, even before any subsequent software updates. It's the ones which default to off (or remember the setting) which are the anomalies. :)

No, the first batchers defaulted to on from the factory, but if you selected off it remembered.
But only as long as they never update the software.
Which isn’t going to happen, so at some point they’re going to be screwed.
... only if I let them on it :)

... actually thinking about it - they have had it back for a DVSA / VOSA? recall - still remembers off.

Does the LKA work from the camera only or in combination with the radar?
Would a well placed cow pat ( I was following a tractor officer ) on the radar disable the offending item, as well as Emergency braking , two birds ,one stone, if so what messages would come up and would it affect the operation of the car? I reckon you,ll lose cruise control as well ,but if your main usage is non motorway does it matter. For motorway journeys wipe off the cow muck.
If the camera is the only culprit then some black insulation tape could work, until it rains!
We might revert the car to one from the early 90,s but hey , you takes your choice.

A lot of the MG Pilot and safety systems rely on the windscreen camera. Just try sticking a cover over it and see what error messages come up and which systems are disabled. ;)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back