Lane Assist Trying To Kill Me!

I'm sure I've tried that (although I do have an SE not a Trophy, so the options are different). Did you get a Confirm message when you changed to the Alert setting?

In my case I'm fairly sure it always defaults to LKA On, Lane Departure (or whatever the SE version is) and Moderate.
Mine was set to "Emergency Lane Keeping" and has been since I got the car, it did warn me with a pop-up when I went to move it to "Alert Only".

I just went back to it there and it has reset back to "Emergency Lane Keeping" and "Audible Warning" :( it has retained the other 2 settings though.

... thats how mine has always worked - no issues for the past 6 months? - as soon as i hit the brake peddle to move off it just moves to off (images 4)?

Attachments

• IMG_4883.JPEG
    IMG_4883.JPEG
    335.1 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_4884.JPEG
    IMG_4884.JPEG
    316.4 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_4885.JPEG
    IMG_4885.JPEG
    289.6 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_4887.JPEG
    IMG_4887.JPEG
    295.7 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
... thats how mine has always worked - no issues for the past 6 months? - as soon as i hit the brake peddle to move off it just moves to off (images 4)?
I need to do more tests tomorrow.

Maybe this is why some folk have been saying LKA stays off permanently for them, whereas others say it resets to on.

I wouldn't mind (much) if it was displaying the correct limit. But after about 20 miles being flashed at that I was exceeding a supposed 40 mph limit on a road I knew to be a 60 mph limit, my tolerance was exhausted. It had seen a limit posted for HGVs. I don't trust it, and it goes off.

No warnings as such - but if we do go over the speed limit - it flashes - i think ? - its not very noticeable on the screen?

I found the flashing very noticeable.
My born has the same speed limit display, but it doesn’t flash if you exceed it like a nagging passenger.

I had a Renault courtesy car when they were still pretending they were going to repair my GTi. It did exactly the same as the MG4. That car was where I developed my dislike of the things and when my MG4 started to do it too, it didn't take me long to start switching it off.

I had a Renault courtesy car when they were still pretending they were going to repair my GTi. It did exactly the same as the MG4. That car was where I developed my dislike of the things and when my MG4 started to do it too, it didn't take me long to start switching it off.
Does it stay off?

There's a pattern to it. I switch it off when I switch off the LKA, but sometimes I don't have to. I think it stays off more than LKA stays off, maybe for the duration of the trip rather than coming on again every time your bum hits the seat if you've only got out momentarily.

Well even Robert has a little dig at MG and lane assist at 12.01 minutes in

Why “even Robert”?
Is he usually a proponent or apologist for MG?
Like one particular EV twitter account that is clearly, clearly benefitting from them and shuts down people (far from just me) criticising them.

Why “even Robert”?
Is he usually a proponent or apologist for MG?
Like one particular EV twitter account that is clearly, clearly benefitting from them and shuts down people (far from just me) criticising them.
Don't get me wrong I have nothing against him and I really appreciate what he has done with Fully Charged/Everything Electric. He has been a tad 'gushing' about MG in the previous videos but I think that's the problem with reviews in general they are a snap shot in time. Now he actually has an MG as his daily driver i think he's finding the niggles which isn't a bad thing at all. If anyone has an in to MG management it's himself and Fully Charged

Don't get me wrong I have nothing against him and I really appreciate what he has done with Fully Charged/Everything Electric. He has been a tad 'gushing' about MG in the previous videos but I think that's the problem with reviews in general they are a snap shot in time. Now he actually has an MG as his daily driver i think he's finding the niggles which isn't a bad thing at all. If anyone has an in to MG management it's himself and Fully Charged

If he’s paid for the car himself and is able to criticise where it’s due without fear, fair play to him.

The best option for this death feature is to stick some black tape over the wind shield in front of the camera, which should stop it from working.
I usually turn mine off before i set off because its dangerous, It doesn't even keep the car in the middle of the lane, it wanders all over the place and only a fool with a death wish would ever trust it

I actually forgot to turn it off on the way home from work on Monday and while travelling down a country road the system got confused as I got close to an approaching car, i was in the middle of my lane but the LKA system decided to turn my car into the path of the approaching car, and had i not had lightning fast reactions to quickly turn in the opposite direction we would have been in a serious crash or be dead as we were both doing about 50mph.

I drove a Kia Niro a few weeks ago and its LKA system was almost perfect, the car stayed in the middle of the lane without any weaving, and it never once tried to kill me, i even tried it on twisting country roads and it had no problem steering around them and staying in the middle of the lane.

Its not LKA in general that is the problem, its the piss poor system on the MG that is the problem.

Last edited:
The best option for this death feature is to stick some black tape over the wind shield in front of the camera, which should stop it from working.
I usually turn mine off before i set off because its dangerous, It doesn't even keep the car in the middle of the lane, it wanders all over the place and only a fool with a death wish would ever trust it

I actually forgot to turn it off on the way home from work on Monday and while travelling down a country road the system got confused as I got close to an approaching car, i was in the middle or my lane but the LKA system decided to turn my car into the path of the approaching car, and had i not had lightning fast reactions to quickly turn in the opposite direction we would have been in a serious crash or be dead as we were both doing about 50mph.

I drove a Kia Niro a few weeks ago and its LKA system was almost perfect, the car stayed in the middle of the lane without any weaving, and it never once tried to kill me, i even tried it on twisting country roads and it had no problem steering around them and staying in the middle of the lane.

Its not LKA in general that is the problem, its the piss poor system on the MG that is the problem.
I am wondering how much of this is poor calibration.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 533 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back