Lane Keep Assist love.....

reminds me of my late Dad (RIP ❤️) who told me decades ago that a good driver doesn’t need to indicate at a roundabout because it’ll be perfectly obvious where he’s going 🤷‍♀️ lol

reminds me of my late Dad (RIP ❤️) who told me decades ago that a good driver doesn’t need to indicate at a roundabout because it’ll be perfectly obvious where he’s going 🤷‍♀️ lol
Unlike French some drivers who indicate and you still don't know where they are going.

I think it all depends on the sw version. I have a luxury (trophy) phase 1, bought in October 2022 and collected in February 2023. It had the "old" software with all known bugs and R24 infotainment. TJA worked fine, LKA was dangerous and annoying. I had everything upgraded in May (including infotainment to R33). Now the TJA sucks enough, often leading me astray, but the LKA works very well and is not invasive at all

It's not annoying, it's damn dangerous. Mine tries to pull me into a different lane everytime I drive on the North Circular or M25. I cant work out when it happens, but it seems to do it even when the lanes are well marked.
Change the setting to weak....

I've never experienced anything more than the feeling you get on a windy day 🤔

Happened to me early in my driving career with a motorbike, I could not see it and not hear it, then I attempted a manoeuvre and had a very angry motorcyclist appear from out of my blindspot. I could have easily hit him.

This is what made me eliminate my blindspot through moving around in my seat, looking over my shoulder, correctly adjusting my mirrors and constantly monitoring and focusing on my driving (never have loud music on ever since).

Have also had two close family friends killed by motorbike accidents, so I am extremely conscious of the vulnerability of other road users.

Exactly. This is solved by hyper-vigilance, nothing else. In 30 years since I can honestly say I have never had a case of not seeing someone / being surprised.

You can eliminate your blindspots completely, but it takes a specific mindset and anything that gives you a false picture (eg I glanced at my mirrors / used a signal) is a barrier to that mindset.

Indicating isn't a solution, it is part of the problem. I had learned to always indicate, and it had given me a false sense of security that indicating made it ok if I had not seen someone. The complacency of feeling safe if you always stick on a signal was what was wrong with my driving.

So, now I am aware of everything around me and when I signal I have certainty that I know precisely who I am indicating for.

You have this completely and utterly wrong.
I am in awe of your confidence 😎

I won't keep quiet when it is as important as this. If you can't physically do it, fair enough, I did say that earlier in the conversation. Most people can.

I am responding to very heavily pushed views to the contrary. You are free to express your view as you have done.

No need to tell anyone to shut up, this is a public forum, you don't want to hear someone, that's what Ignore mode is for.
This became a "I'll not indicate if I can't see anyone" debate and got off topic....

I just managed to drive 30 miles home from work without LKA activating once 🤔

😎

Just re-read entire thread to reassure myself I didn't initiate the hunt for fluffy bunnies, as I also find it irritating when threads wander.

And since use of indicators masks the LKA function you could argue it's not really that off-topic 🤔

Just re-read entire thread to reassure myself I didn't initiate the hunt for fluffy bunnies, as I also find it irritating when threads wander.

And since use of indicators masks the LKA function you could argue it's not really that off-topic 🤔
Masks it or cancels it?

Happened to me early in my driving career with a motorbike, I could not see it and not hear it, then I attempted a manoeuvre and had a very angry motorcyclist appear from out of my blindspot. I could have easily hit him.

This is what made me eliminate my blindspot through moving around in my seat, looking over my shoulder, correctly adjusting my mirrors and constantly monitoring and focusing on my driving (never have loud music on ever since).

Have also had two close family friends killed by motorbike accidents, so I am extremely conscious of the vulnerability of other road users.

Exactly. This is solved by hyper-vigilance, nothing else. In 30 years since I can honestly say I have never had a case of not seeing someone / being surprised.

You can eliminate your blindspots completely, but it takes a specific mindset and anything that gives you a false picture (eg I glanced at my mirrors / used a signal) is a barrier to that mindset.

Indicating isn't a solution, it is part of the problem. I had learned to always indicate, and it had given me a false sense of security that indicating made it ok if I had not seen someone. The complacency of feeling safe if you always stick on a signal was what was wrong with my driving.

So, now I am aware of everything around me and when I signal I have certainty that I know precisely who I am indicating for.

It may surprise you to hear I agree with a lot of what you say, and commend you on your heightened awareness and vigilance when driving, but unfortunately by your own admission this came about by a close call (that could have had much more serious consequences) and sadly some close personnel experiences.
The reality today is a very high % of drivers on the road do not possess all of your exceptional combination of skills ( training, experience, hyper-vigilance AND patience) and because of that they will make mistakes,
I'm sorry, but you saying that people always indicating is part of the problem is just arrogance on your part

Looking back thru this thread shows there is definitely divided opinions on this,
Nearly every time I (or you) go out on the roads we will see examples of distracted, careless and sometimes plain dangerous driving, do u think many of them people share your driving prowess/concentration levels?
I've never implied that indicating is an alternative to proper vigilance,
Human nature is that a lot of people aren't always going to be hyper vigilant and as a (albeit much inferior) alternative I'd prefer they at least indicated their intentions
Remember rules are for the masses not the elites, and "perfection is the enemy of the good"

As also pointed out earlier by @Ian Key
I was taught to always indicate for my car test, only to indicate if someone benefited for my IAM test and back to always indicating for my PCV test. All of which I passed first time
To borrow a medical saying "doctors differ, and patients die"
Even driving experts disagree on the whys and wherefores on this topic

Hope the view is nice from your ivory tower,

I prefer the more polite - we'll have to agree to disagree on this 😀

Lastly consider if everyone drove perfectly they'd never be a crash - and for that matter seatbelts and airbags would be redundant, but welcome to the real world!

There's some truth in that. There are times I don't indicate at a roundabout, but rely on lane positioning, because the road layout makes it possible that an indicator might be misinterpreted, making it worse than no indication at all.

Looking at this from the other perspective, another thing I was taught was, just because you see an indicator, don't believe the other driver is actually going to do that. Wait till you see him begin the manoeuvre before you take any action based on assuming what he's going to do.

That's not how it should be!

A better use is "yes I know you're hassling me to move out of this lane in which you want to go faster, therefore I am changing lanes to accommodate you." They usually give you space to manoeuvre if you do that.

Am I the only one who's doesn't mind land keep assist...?

When I first got the car it was a gripe but I turned it's strength to 'weak" and now adapted my driving to stop it bothering my most of the time..Maybe it has trained me to keep off the lines and I actually indicate more when changing lane 🤔. I never turn it off...TBH I've other gripes like it slamming on the brakes when I'm reversing and it detects a pedestrian 5 metres away 😳🙄
Admittedly Tesla has a much better way of warning the driver with slight vibration..
Yes you ar probably alone . . . however the adaptive cruise control has de-risked my motorway driving at a stroke. Tremendous safetey aid. But the lane assist kept on jogging the wheel - most disconcerting. I've a 22 plate LR ZS.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back