London to Wales on M4?

Well as long as you are on the inside lane when it goes to 2 then 1% just go slow until you have to roll over on the hard shoulder and then ring AA
Rule 97 of The Highway Code states: "Before setting off. You must ensure – that you have sufficient fuel for your journey, especially if it includes motorway driving." Drivers who run out of fuel and obstruct traffic have been warned they could be slapped with a £100 fine and points on their licence.
This also includes EVs

Rule 97 of The Highway Code states: "Before setting off. You must ensure – that you have sufficient fuel for your journey, especially if it includes motorway driving." Drivers who run out of fuel and obstruct traffic have been warned they could be slapped with a £100 fine and points on their licence.
This also includes EVs
So make sure you can pull over on the hard shoulder and not obstruct any traffic

Well as long as you are on the inside lane when it goes to 2 then 1% just go slow until you have to roll over on the hard shoulder and then ring AA

Has anyone ever gone to 1% and then see what happens when you actually run out? Does it beep and then you keep rolling or what?

Are you mad?

Now bear in mind that I have spent the last 38 years perfecting the art of rolling up to a petrol station while running on fumes. I was extremely good at hypermiling when necessary. I have occasionally run out because of various unforeseen circumstances. I carried a can in the boot but rarely had to use it. Only three times did I need rescuing. Once because the can was only half full - another motorist gave me a lift to a petrol station. Once because I'd left a leaking can at home and missed the turnoff for Annandale Water - that was an RAC job, but fortunately I wasn't on the motorway, the M74 was still under construction. And once just a week before I got the MG4 - long story but the rescue involved a bus home to get the petrol can.

Five weeks into EV ownership and I'm a reformed character. The amount of hassle and sheer shame and embarrassment involved in running out of juice in an EV is obviously several orders of magnitude greater than from running out of petrol. It's not going to happen. My days of calculating to the last couple of ml are over.

I know how much charge I will need for a journey, plus contingencies, and if I need more than the battery can provide I will be picking up whatever extra I need at the earliest and most convenient point in my journey.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever gone to 1% and then see what happens when you actually run out? Does it beep and then you keep rolling or what?
Yes - took mine down to 0% and 0 miles left once - it tells you to park safely! It also reduces available power with a few percent left. Fortunately this happened to me half a mile from home at the top of the hill so it was all downhill to home and the car could regenerate (won't be cutting it that fine again 🫣)

Yes - took mine down to 0% and 0 miles left once - it tells you to park safely! It also reduces available power with a few percent left. Fortunately this happened to me half a mile from home at the top of the hill so it was all downhill to home and the car could regenerate (won't be cutting it that fine again 🫣)
I see where you got your forum name from but I don't think it was your git that was tight 🤣

I was wondering. What would be the best thing to do if you found yourself at a charger that was out of order and you knew you didn't have enough charge to get to another? Driving on would seem to be senseless. Would phoning the charger operator and begging them to fix it like now please actually do anything?

I was wondering. What would be the best thing to do if you found yourself at a charger that was out of order and you knew you didn't have enough charge to get to another? Driving on would seem to be senseless. Would phoning the charger operator and begging them to fix it like now please actually do anything?
It is well worth calling them, they can often remote diagnose and reboot and can dispatch an engineer in some cases to fix - all depends on the operator and time of day / day of week.

We've just booked a holiday to North Wales, travelling up through South Wales. It should be a great trip.

There's a bit of a charger desert in the middle of the country, with what looks like about 1 charger until you get up North!

This should be a real test, wish us luck! ABRP says we should be able to make it with just one 7 minute stop near the destination, starting from 90%, but I think I'm going to charge to 100% before leaving and again around Brecon before heading into the desert. Making sure the tyres are pumped up too, the car will be full with luggage.

We've just booked a holiday to North Wales, travelling up through South Wales. It should be a great trip.

There's a bit of a charger desert in the middle of the country, with what looks like about 1 charger until you get up North!

This should be a real test, wish us luck! ABRP says we should be able to make it with just one 7 minute stop near the destination, starting from 90%, but I think I'm going to charge to 100% before leaving and again around Brecon before heading into the desert. Making sure the tyres are pumped up too, the car will be full with luggage.
You should be okay depending on route - Genie at morrisons in Brecon, and Ospray's in welshpool (or Tesla in Aberystwyth) - in desert areas fill up when you can, not when you need - good luck, but you should be fine.

You should be okay depending on route - Genie at morrisons in Brecon, and Ospray's in welshpool (or Tesla in Aberystwyth) - in desert areas fill up when you can, not when you need - good luck, but you should be fine.
Plus - dont forget instavolt - as they seem to be also all-over, and just seem to work?

Expensive, though. Maybe worth it. I have the Instavolt chargers at Booth's in Kirkby Lonsdale pegged as a sure-fire charge if all else fails on the way to Halifax.

HR3 6EH (///exulted.untruth.raves)+ LL21 0EH (///bends.wings.questions)?

Expensive, though. Maybe worth it. I have the Instavolt chargers at Booth's in Kirkby Lonsdale pegged as a sure-fire charge if all else fails on the way to Halifax.
.. but who cares if you are in a desert - needs must?

Last edited:
This is such a basic question but is it ok for MG4 to use tesla charge points with our standard lead?

A very short one I believe.
Most Tesla superchargers have a short lead, however the new taller v4 superchargers are coming with a much longer one to support cars with chargeports in different places.

Fortunately the MG4 has the charge port in the right place so using a Tesla supercharger is a good experience, though you will see other makes blocking two bays in order to get the cable to reach their charge port.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back