I don't see why it should have an expiry date.
Pretty much all tyres do, including space savers. The rubber compound degrades with time.

If kept in good conditions it can last longer than a regular tyre service life (~10 years if unused) but they will have a service life. My Golf and its space saver is 16 years old, so that's pushing it. But to get out of a pinch, sure. Just need to take it easy. I've used the space saver a couple of times on the Golf. Way better than the alternative of screwing around waiting for a tow truck.

Hi everyone. I'm an independent Aussie EV journalist. You might have read my work before eg about the OPD for a small batch of Aussie Excite 51's Aussie MG4 Excite 51 owners can get One Pedal Driving software update at dealer - Electrifying Everything

I mainly cover Chinese and Korean EV's like MG, KIA, BYD, Hyundai etc.

I recently drove 344km in a Australian MG4 Essence 64 2023 RWD media loan review car around Sydney.

There were lots of short less than 10km trips as well as a 184km drive from Marrickville to Wollongong return, taking the coastal route A6/M1 on the way there down and back inland via B69, M31 and M5.

More details at the link below incl a DC fast charging test at Evie Tempe 150kW. I was very impressed at how long the car held at the peak charging rate. It's the best fast charging performance I've seen for any car at this price point or below

The only things that bothered me were software lack of memory and over active safety system issues, which I know several of you like wattmatters have already experienced as I've discussed those with him.

I also did my standard luggage and storage test for the boot

And tested with photos to see what the rear vision mirror looks like with all 3 headrests (poor view) vs just 2 headrests and no headrests 2 easy options to improve MG4 rear window visibility a lot - Electrifying Everything

I will have a media loan Excite 51 in a few weeks time to compare with the Essence 64

Last edited:
I have looked at your articles and have one small correction. Although there is no actual frunk provided, there is enough space under the bonnet for a type 2 charging cable in its bag. The bonnet itself holds the cable in place quite nicely. I thought I had taken a photo of my bag in position, but I can't find it at the moment.

I have looked at your articles and have one small correction. Although there is no actual frunk provided, there is enough space under the bonnet for a type 2 charging cable in its bag. The bonnet itself holds the cable in place quite nicely. I thought I had taken a photo of my bag in position, but I can't find it at the moment.
Please share a photo when you have time. Could I have permission to publish it (with acknowledgement that it's from an MGEV forum mod)?

Bingo. Found it. You just chuck the cable, in its bag, on top of the plastic shelf in about that position, and the bonnet closes snugly over it. I saw someone in an MG4 review video doing it and realised it worked. Several forum members are doing the same thing.

1697413925508.png

I have a better resolution file if you need it. (Shame the cable I was sold with the car wasn't MG branded as I expected it to be, but it's a perfectly good cable.) The cable lives there and I never need to think about it. I don't have to move it to get anything else in, it's just there if I happen to need it.

Last edited:
Going Again. Re earlier post on puncture. A long day but new tyre fitted. Started day ringing around trying to find a tyre to replace the sidewall damaged one. Eventually got on to dealer that claimed he had ordered one to arrive around 3pm and it would cost $375. Got a lift some 80km to where the car had been left and awaited tow truck arranged by roadside assist. Got a lift in tow truck a further 80km away from home to the tyre fitter where the news was the tyre was not available in Australia as yet. He was still hunting around and eventually came up with same type of tyre with a different tread pattern for $290. Complies with relevant regulations. Because further from home with maybe insufficient charge to get home had to travel a further 20km away from home to find a 75kw charger. Downloaded the app and attempted to charge but charger kept immediately disconnecting. Rang the emergency number. Operator wanted to know what type of car it was and then reset something in the system. Worked faultlessly at continuous 75kw. Whilst trying to sort this out a second red 77kw MG4 arrived. The bloke just wanted to know how good the charging was as he had tried at a 350kw charger earlier in the day and could only achieve a 50kw speed. Then took my car thru a car wash and headed home. My day was 8am - 9pm. Oh the joys of living in the country.
Just joking......very 1st world problems.

Going Again. Re earlier post on puncture. A long day but new tyre fitted. Started day ringing around trying to find a tyre to replace the sidewall damaged one. Eventually got on to dealer that claimed he had ordered one to arrive around 3pm and it would cost $375. Got a lift some 80km to where the car had been left and awaited tow truck arranged by roadside assist. Got a lift in tow truck a further 80km away from home to the tyre fitter where the news was the tyre was not available in Australia as yet. He was still hunting around and eventually came up with same type of tyre with a different tread pattern for $290. Complies with relevant regulations. Because further from home with maybe insufficient charge to get home had to travel a further 20km away from home to find a 75kw charger. Downloaded the app and attempted to charge but charger kept immediately disconnecting. Rang the emergency number. Operator wanted to know what type of car it was and then reset something in the system. Worked faultlessly at continuous 75kw. Whilst trying to sort this out a second red 77kw MG4 arrived. The bloke just wanted to know how good the charging was as he had tried at a 350kw charger earlier in the day and could only achieve a 50kw speed. Then took my car thru a car wash and headed home. My day was 8am - 9pm. Oh the joys of living in the country.
tough day :(

Based on my media loan car experience, my tip for MG4 fast charging is to keep hold of the CCS 2 connector plugged into your car and pull it up a little until after electricity has started flowing, otherwise the charge may fail to initiate

I had the same issue with Polestar 2 media review car and heavy DC charging cables

PS MG4 Essence 64/77/X-Power in Aus has a brilliant charging speed holding at ~140kW for ages if starting from low SOC Not sure about Excite 64. Excite 51 charge rate tops out much slower at 88kW

Last edited:

Based on my media loan car experience, my tip for MG4 fast charging is to keep hold of the CCS 2 connector plugged into your car and pull it up a little until after electricity has started flowing, otherwise the charge may fail to initiate

I had the same issue with Polestar 2 media review car and heavy DC charging cables

PS MG4 Essence 64/77/X-Power in Aus has a brilliant charging speed holding at ~140kW for ages if starting from low SOC Not sure about Excite 64. Excite 51 charge rate tops out much slower at 88kW

Yes the NMC charge curve is brilliant and sustains well into the 80s and 90s % SOC. Too early to say if there's a penalty to pay for that in terms of longevity.

My impression was that once the operator received the vehicle make and model she adjusted something in the handshake. She stated it will work now before I plugged it back in. I'm only guessing.

A lot of Australians who purchase the MG4 Essence 64, Long Range 77 or XPower in Australia might not realise that the car supports built-in voice control with a huge list of possible commands, completely independent of whether you use Android Auto or Apple CarPlay.

I found out how to enable Voice Commands and the full list of commands are detailed here Australian MG4 full list of Voice Commands: radio, volume, aircon, music, sat nav and more - Electrifying Everything
Thats handy thanks, gonna try turn off lka and see what happens :sneaky:

$290 for one tyre? Seems like a rip.

Btw, how's everyone finding the software/infosystem?

I believe EV tyres are not the same as ... Not an MG ... tyre. I rang around and the correct tyre is consistently around the $360 mark. The vehicle is heavier for size and the side walls are a lot thicker for a start. So maybe what you save on servicing an EV, you lose on tyres.

Pretty good really, I was half expecting a bit of a slow/laggy system given it's a "cheap" car, but it's responsiveness is good. I like the mix of hardware/software buttons, they seem to have that right so you don't need to use the touchscreen for the important/common things.

The only real pain, as has been mentioned numerous times, is having to turn on OPD every time. I do a lot of short trips so this is a real hassle. If I didn't like OPD so much I really wouldn't bother and I can see it getting old very quickly.

It's pretty standard for the size/speed/weight spec you need.

My last 4 or 5 cars have all used the same exact size tyre, and they definitely haven't gotten any cheaper as they've gotten more common over the years.

I normally get Michelin or Goodyear, will be interested to see how the Bridgestone goes. The specific EV version we have doesn't even seem to be available anywhere yet though from my looking. Did you manage to find one in stock PeterK?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back