I've just ordered all-season tyres for my car, because the supplied tyres are obviously not going to cope with a Scottish winter. They're still cheaper than the new summer tyres my Golf would have needed for this summer if I hadn't got rid of it in the spring.

It's pretty standard for the size/speed/weight spec you need.

My last 4 or 5 cars have all used the same exact size tyre, and they definitely haven't gotten any cheaper as they've gotten more common over the years.

I normally get Michelin or Goodyear, will be interested to see how the Bridgestone goes. The specific EV version we have doesn't even seem to be available anywhere yet though from my looking. Did you manage to find one in stock PeterK?
No, not in Aus yet but in the catalogues. The one I got was similar but a different tread pattern. They assured me it complies with safety standards. May consider replacing it down the track.

Have précised the MG Voice Commands to 1 pdf page for anyone interested. I have tested most and they appear to work, not all on original list did.

Attachments

• MGVoice.pdf
    246.8 KB · Views: 127
I have been following this forum with interest since the MG4 arrived in the UK and have gained a lot of info re the positives and negatives of the vehicle and got the chance to see one in the flesh at my local dealership a few weeks ago.
I was really keen on the Excite 51 due to the pricing however when I checked it out I found it difficult to enter and exit.
Admittedly I am now 80 years of age with a minor physical disability and I am used to my current SUV however I knew it would obviously be lower.
However I found the seating too low and had difficulty dodging the sloping windscreen and stepping over the wide door sil when entering and leaving the car.
I understand this would not be an issue for most people.
Very disappointing as I loved everything else about the car but sadly cannot live with it.
Still interested in buying a small to medium EV hatch and now looking to checking out the BYD Dolphin Premium as I believe they are more accessible as far as seat height is concerned.

That's a shame. I drive a lady who is over 90 to church, and asked her how she was finding the getting in and out, and the seat comfort. She said it was fine - but of course I'm helping her in and out every time. She did say it's no worse than any other car she goes in though.

Bloody hell. A good idea but not at that price.
I saw the rear spoilers off the Trophy for sale on line £850 if anyone wants to make your SR a Trophy 😂

I have been following this forum with interest since the MG4 arrived in the UK and have gained a lot of info re the positives and negatives of the vehicle and got the chance to see one in the flesh at my local dealership a few weeks ago.
I was really keen on the Excite 51 due to the pricing however when I checked it out I found it difficult to enter and exit.
Admittedly I am now 80 years of age with a minor physical disability and I am used to my current SUV however I knew it would obviously be lower.
However I found the seating too low and had difficulty dodging the sloping windscreen and stepping over the wide door sil when entering and leaving the car.
Very disappointing as I loved everything else about the car but sadly cannot live with it.
Still interested in buying a small to medium EV hatch and now looking to checking out the BYD Dolphin Premium as I believe they are more accessible as far as seat height is concerned.
Yes unfortunately I have heard a few senior ladies having trouble with the sill and the getting in and out. I hope you’re ok and settled with something easier for you . X

If I had a Trophy (no chance!) I'd have these spoilers up on eBay within the day.
You not like them either? I don’t , they make me go squiffy if I look at them from a certain angle. I don’t like them but I’ve never liked them from the Hondas etc that have them. Love me a straight line. 👍

As an amputee it's been a consideration for me for a long time. Some cars are just harder to get in/out of. Driver's (right) side for me is distinctly easier than passenger side.

But it was also a factor in choosing previous cars when I was ferrying my mum around, and my wife who has not the greatest back in the world. Mum is no longer with us, just the wife & I now and she now has a license. She seems happy enough with it.

That's a shame. I drive a lady who is over 90 to church, and asked her how she was finding the getting in and out, and the seat comfort. She said it was fine - but of course I'm helping her in and out every time. She did say it's no worse than any other car she goes in though.
Oh yes...I agree and that is why I bought an SUV a few years ago mainly to make access much easier in my err....maturing years. I probably would have these issues with many small or medium cars these days.

I was just keen on an EV and was leaning towards a hatch rather than an SUV EV for various reasons including lack of choice and current pricing.

Last edited:
I have just found this thread and had a quick scan through the posts. So my experience.
I have had my eye on the MG4 since it was released in the UK over a year ago and noted all of the praise and niggles and put my name down for a test drive in July. Geoff King MG called me and I test drove the Essence 64 on 31 August.

I bought an Essence 64 Diamod Red after originally planning to get the Excite 51 & picked it up on 14 September. before that I installed a CJbeny 7kW wall charger ($585.00) & bought a V2L plug ($36.00) on line. Both are great & work perfectly. Also installed the iSmart app on my Android phone. I have not used the supplied Granny charger nor any public chargers yet. I only charge at non peak up to 80% a couple of times a week. I've done 1,900 km to date. When I need to charge I just plug in when I get home & start the charger via the app. The car is scheduled to start at 2300. When at 10% it is complete by about 0430.

It took me almost till now to work out all of the features. Got rid of the greeting & created a custom one. Programmed left star for 360 camera & right for driving mode. Android Auto works well but you can't use a fast charge cable nor a USBC to USBC cable. Thing is I have found I don't really need Android Auto as the Essence has most of the features built in. Voice control works really well.

One pedal driving is great. I use it almost all the time & level 3 regen when not on. LKA can be a bit of a pain but it does sharpen your driving habits to stay in the centre of the lane. If you do this you don't even notice it.

I replaced the interior incandescent light bulbs with 2 x 200 lumen 18 led globes. $8.00 fantastic.

Driving experience is well, superb. Handles so well & booting it out of a corner makes me smile every time. The EV torque is something else. On the highway driving is just effortless & quiet.

I am off to Noosa in a week or so & have the trip planned on plugshare. The public charging network in Australia is pretty poor but improving. Up the Pacific highway though it is not too bad.

I know LKA is default to comply with the EU NCAP but I'd like to see a software update so I could store all my preferences and have them come on every start. Then it would be perfect.

Nice post, thanks for sharing.

bought a V2L plug ($36.00) on line
Any chance you can share which one you got? That's a really good price for one that actually works. I have read a few people buying cheap ones from aliexpress that end up not working with the MG4.

have the trip planned on plugshare
If you haven't tried the "A better route planner" app, give that a go, I haven't had to use it yet but it seems to get very good reviews.

I bought it on AliExpress. Brand name Pecham & can deliver 32 amps. There was a review from a MG4 owner who said it worked great so I bought it on that recomendation & he/she was right. You can also get them on Ebay from Australian based suppliers for even less though they are rated at 16 amps. Don't know if they work or not. I have ABRP as well but have not used it yet either.

I bought an Essence 64 Diamod Red after originally planning to get the Excite 51 & picked it up on 14 September.
Also got ours from Geoff King (we're south in Bellingen) about 2 weeks after you, picked it up on 28 September. I've done one highway trip south to my brother's place (between Forster and Taree). Found it was a bit twitchy in the winds.

Be good when they finally get the Coffs bypass finished.

Suggest you try the following (if possible) if you haven't as yet -

• With the drivers door opened, put your bum on the drivers seat sideways, feet on the ground pointing outwards from the car, then
  • Just turn your body sideways using the steering wheel as support - then you are at the wheel.

- Try it a few times ?

Getting out does get easier as well, just the above in reverse -
  • Turn your body sideways and push yourself enough out of the seat with your hands so that you can get your feet outside the car and on the ground.
  • The first few times use the car door arch as support as well if needed.

I do this now without even thinking about it.

Good luck!

Suggest you try the following (if possible) if you haven't as yet -

• With the drivers door opened, put your bum on the drivers seat sideways, feet on the ground pointing outwards from the car, then
  • Just turn your body sideways using the steering wheel as support - then you are at the wheel.

- Try it a few times ?

Getting out does get easier as well, just the above in reverse -
  • Turn your body sideways and push yourself enough out of the seat with your hands so that you can get your feet outside the car and on the ground.
  • The first few times use the car door arch as support as well if needed.

I do this now without even thinking about it.

Good luck!
Thanks for advice but I do this anyway even for my SUV when not parked too close to other vehicles as you need the door well open. In those tighter cases I just slide across as my seat is hip height. This is difficult for me with the MG4 or any small hatch in that situation as I have back issues.
Both my wife and myself have issues with it, especially the wide door sil.

A shame as I love everything else about the car...:)

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel