MG4 Range

Having had a ZS for the past year then I'm assuming you know that you cannot judge anything from the first trip, as the GOM takes a while to get a handle on your driving and the conditions. I can guarantee you will see a big drop if the weather goes sub zero again, but you should be able to keep close to that average if the weather stays mild.

Having had a ZS for the past year then I'm assuming you know that you cannot judge anything from the first trip, as the GOM takes a while to get a handle on your driving and the conditions. I can guarantee you will see a big drop if the weather goes sub zero again, but you should be able to keep close to that average if the weather stays mild.
I know there will be a drop but some people have been getting under 3 m/kwh which requires a seriously heavy foot!!!!!!

Sitting at 65mph or less on pretty flat roads.
Go a wee bit faster on some roads with hills, you’ll soon understand how people get less.
We drove over Welsh mountains in a full snow blizzard (down as low as -6) in the bigger heavier ZS the weekend before last and still got 3.3 so anything under 3 people seriously need to look at how they’re driving the car!
73E60F22-F68A-4930-9AB8-B8C5861D67F4.jpeg

We drove over Welsh mountains in a full snow blizzard (down as low as -6) in the bigger heavier ZS the weekend before last and still got 3.3 so anything under 3 people seriously need to look at how they’re driving the car!View attachment 13895

Maybe people just aren’t as willing to drive as slowly as you?
I drive my 4 a lot gentler than I did my Leaf, I still don’t anywhere near Leaf efficiency.

We drove over Welsh mountains in a full snow blizzard (down as low as -6) in the bigger heavier ZS the weekend before last and still got 3.3 so anything under 3 people seriously need to look at how they’re driving the car!View attachment 13895
The MG4 is the heaviest EV MG make it is heavier than the MG ZS EV, only the HS Hybrid is heavier

I know there will be a drop but some people have been getting under 3 m/kwh which requires a seriously heavy foot!!!!!!
I certainly don't drive with a heavy right foot and I was getting under 3 in the sub zero temperatures. I think you ought to wait until you've driven the 4 a little more before you condemn everyone else.

I drive a ZS, one thing that I have found is that in rural driving or moving traffic I get better range with the regen down at 1 or 2, only changing up to 3 to slow down at junctions etc.
I think its to do with 3 being more difficult to judge leading to having to accelerate a bit more (acceleration uses much more power than can be recouped from regen).

Coasting being more efficient than regen is kinda EV driving 101. I was a bit bemused by the 'surprise' shown about this when it was discussed in the recent MG podcast.

It's one thing I know I'm going to miss from my e-up when I swap it for the MG4, the ability to quickly and easily switch between full coasting and regen.

Coasting being more efficient than regen is kinda EV driving 101. I was a bit bemused by the 'surprise' shown about this when it was discussed in the recent MG podcast.

It's one thing I know I'm going to miss from my e-up when I swap it for the MG4, the ability to quickly and easily switch between full coasting and regen.

Yeah it was dead quick in the Leaf too, used to do it umpteen times a journey.
I’ve just accepted the heavy regeneration in the 4 now, changing is just a pain.
What baffles me is them spending time developing ‘adaptive’ regen and then NOT making that the default….

Yes, I would ideally like to have paddle control. On the ZS I am getting used to controlling it without looking, the switch is easy to find. I was disappointed that controling the regen on the 4 is in the screen, a deal breaker for me.
They should enable the spare steering wheel button to control the regen as a minimum.

Last edited:
So, what are your tips to get best range?

Yeah it was dead quick in the Leaf too, used to do it umpteen times a journey.
I’ve just accepted the heavy regeneration in the 4 now, changing is just a pain.
What baffles me is them spending time developing ‘adaptive’ regen and then NOT making that the default….
I guess if adaptive regen works really well then it helps solve the problem. I'm looking forward to seeing how that actually performs. It's a good idea... in theory :)

Yes, I would ideally like to have paddle control. On the ZS I am getting used to controlling it without looking, the switch is easy to find. I was disappointed that controling the regen on the 4 is in the screen, a deal breaker for me.
They should enable the spare steering wheel button to control the regen as a minimum.
You can use the right star button to cycle the regen if you set it, at present I have this set for the climate control. Not sure if this is just the Trophy that allows it though. Or was it the left star? Not sure now. I have the left star to toggle the 3D camera.

You can use the right star button to cycle the regen if you set it, at present I have this set for the climate control. Not sure if this is just the Trophy that allows it though. Or was it the left star? Not sure now. I have the left star to toggle the 3D camera.
Only on Trophy MuzGB only way on SE is via the screen settings to change Reg is in the screen settings I’m which lm afraid to say is a down side of the SE
One thing I did noticed the other day in wife’s 4 SR but I do need to check this out I could be wrong but maybe others might have noticed, was after trying every combinations in the book to improve matters on range without much improvement not matter what, in the setting driving mode car defaults normal with high Regen now before we set off we switch to Eco and high but at the bottom of the settings screen there is energy saving mode and yesterday I switched this on along with the Eco high settings, and Regen appear to almost disappear or set itself to a very low amount even less than actual low setting in the screen but as I said I need to double check this out it felt like the car was almost free wheeling to me.
Les

saw this on reddit

interresting read about battery performance in canada.

Thank goodness we don’t have to deal with such extreme cold temperatures on a regular basis here in the UK. The coldest it ever got was in Braemar in 1982 at −27.2 °C. This guy in Canada is talking about prolonged low temperatures of −40 °C. 🥶

Finally got to stretch it's legs today with a trip from Warrington to Doncaster and back of around 180 miles. The journey out was done as fast as I dare so 72mph in the smart motorway sections and 75 the rest of the time. The return was slower as we took the twisty route on the A628.

We topped up from 50% - 65% where it took 80kW but didn't need to as we got home with 20%.

We are really pleased with it.

IMG_20221229_152416.jpg

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums