MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

You call out the alleged negative tone of my prior posts, via a maiden-to-me post suggesting that I enrolled upon the forum as a 'wind up'? lol now there's positivity for you, huh :)

Next, consider the then 7 prior posts which I constructed:
1) An agreement with another poster ref youtube videos
2) A positive remark to a fellow poster regarding his/her decision
3) A comment that the atmosphere of the forum has changed over the last two months. Factual? It certainly don't seem the party of optimism it once was.
4) Another positive comment to the prior poster regarding their decision
5) A joke ref a podcast. Granted that could be misinterpreted.
6) A comment on the general reliability of Toyotas
7) A post suggesting a poster continues to go ahead with having a changer installed.

Maybe try researching and analysing one's posts before commenting on them.

It is best if we generically return to discussing the thread topic on hand.
Thank you.
I can’t see any issue with any of your posts. I think number 3 is a perfectly valid observation by the way. Welcome from me.

We own a fixed one too and so far there’s no sign of oil after almost a week of driving (and believe me we check it daily), the other was leaking again pretty much as soon as I got it home from the dealers after the oil was reduced.
I genuinely hope it stays that way for you 👍

All very excellent points 👍. Apologies that I pushed your buttons enough for you to post this in reply.

I sir, sit here, and have a decent slice of humble pie.

I thought at the time of posting that I was being a little choice in my thoughts, but I am not on here to be a wind up merchant.

I understand that many have a real worry over the oil leak issue, and I have said this. Whilst I feel this problem will be sorted on a near brand new car, that is my take and I should not overly impart that view onto others.

And yes! Had an All-Aggro (actually wrote it off on a bend in Armthorpe (near Doncaster) one day after passing my driving test. I do not revel in the glory days of the British Motoring industry. In fact I had a Triumph Dolomite Sprint in 1986 which blew the engine up after three weeks due the timing chain going bananas.

Finally, I apologise (for all the forum to see) to you Ade, as I do not wish to be a WUM, I will still post my thoughts on this subject, as per what affects me, and my particular experiences with this new car, for all to see my view.

I am not an MG Fanboy, you just got to see my thoughts on the MG TF to see that (actually think I upset someone on that thread as well).

Peace and love xx
Peace and love indeed (Mr R. Star) and don't worry, no buttons were depressed during the reading of your post, I just typed a few words before bed and well, there it is.

Nice of you to follow up your original post. so kudos for taking the time to follow up.

Lurking is an Internet term for someone who peruses a forum/message board without registering/joining said website. It has no negative connotations whatsoever. And you've confirmed that you have indeed been lurking - "I would say approximately since the MG4 started to become news- a few months ago"

I'm now out replying to you - I'll save my responses for people with positive intentions. (This doesn't mean positive posts re. the MG4 - it means constructive posts even if they're not positive re. the MG4. I do not categorise your posts in this board as constructive).

Nope, wrong again. I haven't confirmed that I have been 'lurking', only you have used that description.

Second, with regard to your remark 'I'm now out replying to you' a) No one asked you to in the first place- you are the one who personally chose to negatively initiate conversation and b) though it will be almost insurmountably hard, I'll try my utmost not to lose too much sleep over it.

Last edited:
I've never heard of a different oil level being adopted for different markets. Oil viscosity yes, but level no. The correct level is usually determined by the physical location of the level/filler plug and cannot be changed.
perhaps the different markets represent different world zones, with different temperature and humidity levels?

Oil, like any other liquid, its volume (and the space any given amount occupies) will be affected by temperature.
The hotter the ambient environment, the higher the volume (or space) that the same mass of liquid will occupy.
Perhaps this is the nub of the issue?

We have had a very warm summer in the UK, (40 Dec C + at times) China has experienced sever drought, perhaps when the specifications for volumes and market / zones of the world were all worked out by the Chinese engineering boffins, they used previous (outdated?) temperature models to calculate the mass of oil required in each territory?

I've never heard of a different oil level being adopted for different markets. Oil viscosity yes, but level no. The correct level is usually determined by the physical location of the level/filler plug and cannot be changed.
Agreed - same car, different oil levels? Something rotten in Denmark.

Good decision. Although I'm not sure how to 'ignore' posters and posts, nor have I have any desire to find out how to either, as I can handle debate and different opinions to myself without hitting the panic button.

I have had a couple of replies with, this is the first reply from MG….

Thank you for your email and I am sorry to learn of your disappointment regarding these matters.

MG Motor UK Ltd. are aware of the concerns reported by MG owners and potential owners and I can confirm that a small number of customers have reported this to their MG Dealerships, which is the correct course of action.

Due to the cases that have been reported, we are working with the factory in China to provide a resolution and indeed we are sending out internal communications to the dealer network regarding this.

The issue with gearbox oil, is the result of required fluid levels differing from Asian to European models of the car, and it is clear that some of our vehicles have received too much fluid as a result of this. Receiving the correct information regarding this should be a quick procedure.

With regards to the tray, we have made the factory aware of this and their recommendation is to replace the tray, however with this being a new model, the supply of the required parts to replace this would not have been anticipated. As a result, there may be a delay in their replacement, however we are working to provide a solution as soon as possible.

There is no affect on driving performance due to either issue, although there may be wind noise from beneath the car due to the fitment of the undertray.

I am sure you can appreciate that my answer is as open and honest as possible, and I can also confirm that any customer contacting customer service has received a similar reply.

I am also sure that you can appreciate that there are a large number of independent social media sites and forums. MG Motor UK Ltd. do not reply directly on forums to GDPR and compliance purposes. There has been no attempt to cover up or deny any customer complaints from any source.

I trust that the above will answer your questions and confirm our position regarding this matter.
@stevemc please could you share the details of the person who sent this detailed reply to you? Seems like a well informed and helpful CS advisor, who may be approached if other forum members had issues.

Last edited:
To resolve any conflict I can no longer see certain posts.
To be fair, I have not seen any conflict, just a bit of petty indifference to one another’s posts. It is a forum and when you get 4000 plus different people posting their views, it is impossible to be in total agreement.

From what I have read, neither you nor your perceived nemesis have been disrespectful to one another.

This place is great to understand more about our car of choice and very valuable to ‘hive-mind‘ certain issues/problems/fixes/experiences.

Sometimes we all say things (certainly in text format) that we would not actually say face to face, but that does not mean any one of us is wrong.

Life’s a box chocolates (n’all that). 👍

***, I’ve had 500 happy miles with my MG4 and just looked and I’ve got the oil leak ( I checked 1 week ago and was okay ) I’m almost certain that all MG4’s will leak now, just a matter of a short period of time / miles.

Dang it, just check underneath my 500mile MG4 and it’s also got the leak ( it was okay a week ago ) Look around this forum it seams that it’s a case of when your MG4 leaks rather than if it will leak, MG best be investigating this ASAP as I’m not convinced the oil level is the root cause at all.

Dang it, just check underneath my 500mile MG4 and it’s also got the leak ( it was okay a week ago ) Look around this forum it seams that it’s a case of when your MG4 leaks rather than if it will leak, MG best be investigating this ASAP as I’m not convinced the oil level is the root cause at all.
Me neither I think its a motor unit defect. Hope I am wrong!

We own a fixed one too and so far there’s no sign of oil after almost a week of driving (and believe me we check it daily), the other was leaking again pretty much as soon as I got it home from the dealers after the oil was reduced.
Could it be that some have an issue with the valve and some are just over filled? Or maybe one causes the other in some cases.

They made sure to inspect the valve on mine when reducing the level on my car.

Do we believe that the problems really were fixed by reducing the fill level? The cynic in me thinks these owners may well be back with oil leak or other problems Related to this and the “fix”. Perhaps dropping the oil level has given temporary relief for some but it seems like an odd “fix”. The explanations also don’t make sense there are too many inconsistencies here, different oil levels for different countries (give me a break), “no impact on driving“ - my dealer laughed out loud on that one.
I expect it is a different motor/gearbox from the Asian models. Chinese manufacturers do that a lot to meet different performance/price points in different markets.

If the manufacturer is telling you that you can drive it, then you can. If something then breaks they will have to fix it. Dealers are going to be more cautious as they will be the ones doing the fixing.

It is entirely possible that the main issue is the fill level AND some early gearboxes have another fault. We'll know more by the end of the week.

@stevemc please could you share the details of the person who sent this detailed reply to you? Seems like a well informed and helpful CS advisor, who may be approached if other forum members had issues.
The reply was from a chap called Gary from the normal MG customer services email. It was a reply to an email I sent to anyone important I could find at MG uk, I did get a reply from the head of sales saying that customer services would be in touch.

The reply was from a chap called Gary from the normal MG customer services email. It was a reply to an email I sent to anyone important I could find at MG uk, I did get a reply from the head of sales saying that customer services would be in touch.
Sounds like the same chap I’ve been emailing about the tray

Overall I'm pretty relaxed and still loving the car but i did email customer services on 12th and gary on 13th to inform them of my issues and haven't had even a generic reply. We know theres a maximum of 1000 cars on the road so in my mind thats poor form. Thankfully for MG this forum info gives me all the updates i require...for now anyway!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back