• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Anyone hear the MG have actually issued a recall for this now?
Just had a call and my salesman has said this is the case and the part will be fitted to all new deliveries. No doubt different dealership will have different messages but this seems a +ve step to me ☺️

EDIT For clarity before new deliveries is my term not a direct quote from MG, I have a car just arrived for delivery and have been told they will be fitted the new breather pipe, the key point and a quote is that this is being done under a "recall".

Last edited:
Just had a call and my salesman has said this is the case and the part will be fitted to all new deliveries. No doubt different dealership will have different messages but this seems a +be step to me ☺️
I am glad to hear this , should have done it earlier to put everyone's mind at rest.

Just had a call and my salesman has said this is the case and the part will be fitted to all new deliveries. No doubt different dealership will have different messages but this seems a +be step to me ☺️
Hopefully the part will not only be fitted to new deliveries but also to those that have already been delivered in the way of a recall, as hopefully they may have now admitted that there is an issue.

To be fair The Titanic was thought of as a particularly safe ship. Just saying.

MG on the oil leak saga be like...........

backing up homer simpson GIF

Just had a call and my salesman has said this is the case and the part will be fitted to all new deliveries. No doubt different dealership will have different messages but this seems a +ve step to me ☺️
I wonder whether "new deliveries" means cars that haven't yet been put on a ship at the China end, or includes the many cars that have been offloaded from ships in the UK, but not yet delivered to dealers, or delivered to dealers but not yet to ultimate customer.

I wonder whether "new deliveries" means cars that haven't yet been put on a ship at the China end, or includes the many cars that have been offloaded from ships in the UK, but not yet delivered to dealers, or delivered to dealers but not yet to ultimate customer.
New deliveries is my term, please don't read that as a quote from MG.
I shall try and find out re existing cars when I talk to them again.

This statement I like. It’s not reassuring in any way whatsoever but it matches my ”resigned realism”. 😂
After getting home from work this morning and plenty of soul searching last night at work.
I have made the decision to reject my car due to the oil leak and various other issues.
I originally posted about the lower outer door trims not being fitted correctly to mine too.
I sat and listed all the faults with mine last night and as the 30 days is coming up next week, made the decision to reject it now rather than wait for fixes when by the sound of it aren't a guarantee either.
I paid £27k in cash for this car and feel extremely let down by the faults that should not have got to market.
I do like the car in general, but can't take a punt on what currently feels like a Friday car with all its issues.

Final straw for me this morning was the seat comfort or lack of it over the past few days.
I can genuinely feel the seams in both the seat base and back when sat in it this is only after a 15 minute drive
I am genuinely left feeling like I have fibromyalgia or something as the seams are felt that much.
But never had an issue with any other car before this.
This issue harks back to my original concern over the seat build quality when I test drove with creases and bad stitching etc which mine also has a little bit of.

I'm gutted to have to be going this route but a new car should not leave this bad taste your mouth.

What I'll get instead I genuinely don't know.
But I know I can't have £27k tied up in a car that I don't enjoy driving each time.

Last edited:
After getting home from work this morning and plenty of soul searching last night at work.
I have made the decision to reject my car due to the oil leak and various other issues.
I originally posted about the lower outer door trims not being fitted correctly to mine too.
I sat and listed all the faults with mine last night and as the 30 days is coming up next week, made the decision to reject it now rather than wait for fixes when by the sound of it aren't a guarantee either.
I paid £27k in cash for this car and feel extremely let down by the faults that should not have got to market.
I do like the car in general, but can't take a punt on what currently feels like a Friday car with all its issues.

Final straw for me this morning was the seat comfort or lack of it over the past few days.
I can genuinely feel the seams in both the seat base and back when sat in it this is only after a 15 minute drive
I am genuinely left feeling like I have fibromyalgia or something as the seams are felt that much.
This issue harks back to my original concern over the seat build quality when I test drove with creases and bad stitching etc which mine also has a little bit of.

I'm gutted to have to be going this route but a new car should not leave this bad taste your mouth.

But I know I can't have £27k tied up in a car that I don't enjoy driving each time.
Sounds like a good decision, going by your situation and feelings towards the car.
Good luck with whatever you get next.

Sorry to hear this. You‘ve got to do what feels right and from your description, it ain’t feeling right. Good luck 👍

Sorry to hear this. You‘ve got to do what feels right and from your description, it ain’t feeling right. Good luck 👍
I have fought with what's best to do as I do love the car and there is very little else in the same price range.
But going with my head rather than my heart
I think it's the sensible thing to do for now.
I don't want to regret keeping it later on after the event and being stuck with it.
I may look again once the issues are hopefully fixed.
But for now, it's not for me.
I have previous with an MG (my old MG Metro)
I had that many issues with that back in the day.
I sold that car for around £1000 having paid £4000 for it.

I had to get a loan for £3000 to pay off the finance so I could sell it for a grand.

It left a bad taste on my mouth for many years with MG.
I know things have moved on but I would never want to go down that route again.

Please let us know if you don’t mind how you get on with the rejection process such as if you are charged any fees for having the car for the time you have had it I don’t know how you will stand on that
Les

Last edited:
Please let us know if you don’t mind how you get on with the rejection process such as if you are charged any fees for having the car for the time you have had it I don’t know hoe you will stand on that
Les
Inside 30 days there should be no deductions. After 30 days the refund is subject to deductions for use. It's in nobody's interests to have cars rejected though really. The dealers and MG should be putting this right before that point.

Please let us know if you don’t mind how you get on with the rejection process such as if you are charged any fees for having the car for the time you have had it I don’t know hoe you will stand on that
Les
As Andy said above
There should be nothing reduced from the buying price within the 30 days, which is why I am going down this route now rather than in 2 weeks when I could lose quite a bit etc

You may be interested in this reply I have just received from MG UK. I think now we have to accept that the problems lie with the breather tube. Good to know they are actually doing something at the factory now.

‘Following thorough investigation by our Technical and Engineering team in both the UK and China, the results of this concern with the MG4 are that oil is being ejected through the breather pipe which is presenting itself as an oil leak. Therefore, a modified breather pipe is currently in the process of being supplied to the repair network to rectify the issue.
Rest assured, the issue does not leave the vehicle undriveable and does not impact the performance or functionality of the vehicle.
Once the part is available in the next few weeks, dealerships will be able to carry out the necessary repair for those cars that are already on the road.

MG's that are yet to be built at the factory in China will have the issue with the breather pipe rectified before they are placed on a ship.
Any vehicles that have already left the factory that present this concern will need rectification at an MG dealership once the vehicle arrives and the part is available.

I hope that this provides some reassurance and I thank you again for your email.’

Independently I have come to the same conclusion in the last 24 hours, and today started the rejection process on my MG4 SE SR. Like you I like the car but am not willing to accept the lack of support from MG UK, SAIC and (most surprisingly) the dealer that I purchased from who deserve the gif from Kithmo the most.

MG on the oil leak saga be like...........

backing up homer simpson GIF

We clearly have different major issues - the straw for me is the inability to AC charge reliably which is kind of basic functionality for a BEV.

SAIC need to learn the lessons from the launch of the MG4. Such fundemently new platforms will always have issues, and I expected there to be more than there are, but the reaction to them is key to keeping customers onboard. The response that I have received is textbook how not to do it - fail to acknowledge issues raised, then deny that they exist anywhere else, then fail to offer a solution or timescale for one.

I'm currently conflicted as to where next. I'm torn between the route being trodden by @beefyj in looking to return to another example when the initial issues are resolved or whether to revert to ICE after 5 years of EVs. The former makes sense if you believe that SAIC are learning, but I'm beginning to feel that they have failed to learn from multiple issues with the ZS and that the remainder of the industry are going the wrong way with ever bigger and more expensive offerings - Hyundai moving from the original Ioniq to the Ioniq5 and 6.

Sorry to hear this. Hope you have better luck with your next car.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 425 79.9%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back