Sometimes it makes me think if when people either buy or 'finance' cars, they do so at their maxed out level. I mean, they spend £300-£400 a month of so on a car, or shelled out £££ thousands, but seem to begrudge paying an £80 brake fluid change every 3 or so years. Same when people on some forums talk about changing a tyre size, as a different one got tyres at slightly better prices. So they pay £400 a month for a car, then change a tyre size (meaning like 205/45/R17 to 225/45/R17 etc) to save a fiver a corner
:confused:

Sometimes it makes me think if when people either buy or 'finance' cars, they do so at their maxed out level. I mean, they spend £300-£400 a month of so on a car, or shelled out £££ thousands, but seem to begrudge paying an £80 brake fluid change every 3 or so years. Same when people on some forums talk about changing a tyre size, as a different one got tyres at slightly better prices. So they pay £400 a month for a car, then change a tyre size (meaning like 205/45/R17 to 225/45/R17 etc) to save a fiver a corner
:confused:
Here's the issue as I see it:

EVs fundamentally change the economics of maintenance. That's because they have far fewer moving parts and are much simpler mechanically. So much so, that Teslas (for example) don't have any servicing schedule - you get free updates with an occasional inspection recommended.

Now, traditional manufacturers make most of their money out of service and maintenance and so do the dealers. That's because you get payments every year and they can mark up parts and labour hugely (you are locked in), plus new car pricing is very competitive, squeezing margins.

So, when the likes of MG (and many others) switch over to EVs, they think "let's charge the same for service as we did before or we'll lose most of our profits, the customer won't know any better". Then we get £400-500 3 year servicing plans, which are a nonsense.

EVs really only need tyres as a regular item. Brakes are used far less (pads and discs last years and years) and even in an ICE vehicle, brake fluid only needs changing if contaminated, so dealers should be doing a quick inspection and test, not trying to change it out every 2 years for £100 a pop (VAG: that's you). AC only needs servicing if it isn't working properly, it doesn't need a recharge when it already works. Cambelts used to last 80,000-100,000 miles, now it is 40,000-50,000 (just in case!). What next? Change them every year???!

I am really happy to pay to maintain my vehicle properly, but I object to being scammed by dealers or manufacturers who want to rip me off for things that are not needed.

EVs really only need tyres as a regular item. Brakes are used far less (pads and discs last years and years) and even in an ICE vehicle, brake fluid only needs changing if contaminated, so dealers should be doing a quick inspection and test, not trying to change it out every 2 years for £100 a pop (VAG: that's you). AC only needs servicing if it isn't working properly, it doesn't need a recharge when it already works. Cambelts used to last 80,000-100,000 miles, now it is 40,000-50,000 (just in case!). What next? Change them every year???!

I am really happy to pay to maintain my vehicle properly, but I object to being scammed by dealers or manufacturers who want to rip me off for things that are not needed.
I think replacing wiper blades every now and then is also a good idea. 🤷‍♂️

I think replacing wiper blades every now and then is also a good idea. 🤷‍♂️
Unless you're ike me with my MX-5- don't drive it in the rain and I must have hit the screenwash stalk once in 4 years :)

Considering above, pads and disks are supposed to last longer on an electric car, but don't disks corrode though, if say they aren't of the best quality to begin with, and the car is laid up quite a lot outside?

Unless you're ike me with my MX-5- don't drive it in the rain and I must have hit the screenwash stalk once in 4 years :)

Considering above, pads and disks are supposed to last longer on an electric car, but don't disks corrode though, if say they aren't of the best quality to begin with, and the car is laid up quite a lot outside?
You can get coated disks that won’t rust. But, yes corrosion and pitting can be an issue if unused. With an EV is helpful to do a few big stops without regen every so often.

Here's the issue as I see it:

EVs fundamentally change the economics of maintenance. That's because they have far fewer moving parts and are much simpler mechanically. So much so, that Teslas (for example) don't have any servicing schedule - you get free updates with an occasional inspection recommended.

Now, traditional manufacturers make most of their money out of service and maintenance and so do the dealers. That's because you get payments every year and they can mark up parts and labour hugely (you are locked in), plus new car pricing is very competitive, squeezing margins.

So, when the likes of MG (and many others) switch over to EVs, they think "let's charge the same for service as we did before or we'll lose most of our profits, the customer won't know any better". Then we get £400-500 3 year servicing plans, which are a nonsense.

How about the battery checks? Is there much involved at an electric car service in terms of 'checking' the underlying heart of the car- the battery- is in great working order?

How about the battery checks? Is there much involved at an electric car service in terms of 'checking' the underlying heart of the car- the battery- is in great working order?
Not as far as I know. The BMS is constantly checking and balancing and presumably the car can send telemetry to MG if a problem is developing (don’t know if MG do this).

12V battery will need replacing at some point, main battery should out live the car.

Not as far as I know. The BMS is constantly checking and balancing and presumably the car can send telemetry to MG if a problem is developing (don’t know if MG do this).

12V battery will need replacing at some point, main battery should out live the car.
Are there any filters to replace (pollen types etc)?

You can get coated disks that won’t rust. But, yes corrosion and pitting can be an issue if unused. With an EV is helpful to do a few big stops without regen every so often.

The coating only protects the unswept area at best. The issue on EVs is that the swept area corrodes faster than it wears.

The coating only protects the unswept area at best. The issue on EVs is that the swept area corrodes faster than it wears.
Can you just turn regen off totally for a bit and use the brakes like in a 'normal car'. Maybe for 1/4 of a journey or so?

I pulled down the MGZS EV section, and servicing is basically nothing. You got a pollen every 2 years, ditto brake fluid. Scraping the bottom of the barrel when key batteries are part of a service! Is that just the batteries on your fob??
So what exactly do they do on the first service to justify £100-150-200 pounds? No brake fluid, no pollen filter, heck, no battery for your keys lol

Braking is blended I believe on the MG4. Even with minimum regen when you brake the system should determine if added regen is enough to slow you down (whilst topping up the batteries) depending on your level of braking force and speed. Only beyond a certain force of braking do the physical brakes come into play. Some balance more braking on non driving wheels that driving wheels but I don't know if the MG4 system is that advanced.

I pulled down the MGZS EV section, and servicing is basically nothing. You got a pollen every 2 years, ditto brake fluid. Scraping the bottom of the barrel when key batteries are part of a service! Is that just the batteries on your fob??
So what exactly do they do on the first service to justify £100-150-200 pounds? No brake fluid, no pollen filter, heck, no battery for your keys lol
Playing the devils advocate....
A recent survey found that the average hourly rate paid by a motorist to a franchised garage is £99 per hour with some garages charging a lot more. This not only has to pay the mechanics wages but all the overheads too. That probably accounts for £50 for half-an-hour of the mechanics time.
Having it serviced under the MG service plan also includes MG Assistance which is supplied by the AA which could cost you £149/year if you bought it yourself.

Playing the devils advocate....
A recent survey found that the average hourly rate paid by a motorist to a franchised garage is £99 per hour with some garages charging a lot more. This not only has to pay the mechanics wages but all the overheads too. That probably accounts for £50 for half-an-hour of the mechanics time.
Having it serviced under the MG service plan also includes MG Assistance which is supplied by the AA which could cost you £149/year if you bought it yourself.
What do they do though for the £100 labour on the first EV service? As surely in a petrol car that time is spent doing oil/filter/sump plug, plus maybe some other consumable?
Also, I don't buy the £150 AA cost. When my MX-5 went out of warranty (which had 3 years breakdown cover etc), I rang my insurance company and added it on- UK breakdown inc home start for £30 or so.
Also, that AA cover would also be given on a petrol car service too. So I guess my point is what do they do on the first service for the £100-£200 labour? When that is very similar to a petrol car, which has consumables which take time/labour to do?

Question: I am a fly on the wall and I'm totally observing the first 'service', which as zero consumables to change, of my hypothetically owned MG4, after it's been driven into the service bay. Right, what am I, the fly, observing to warrant the £100-£150-£200 fee?

(P.S If it's £150 to check the tyre pressures, I can do that myself, even if I'm a fly)

Last edited:
If it's anything like a "service" on a Nissan LEAF it'll be:
  • change the pollen filter
  • check the car over similar to an MoT test
  • top up any fluids at additional cost
  • lubricate the hinges
  • send you a video of the car and any issues found
  • give the car a bath
  • invoice you for £150

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%