MG4 Standard tyres are seriously dangerous!

It's been interesting running with the standard tyres over the summer as in warm, dry conditions they're actually not bad at all however as the temperature is starting to drop I'm already noticing them becoming a little more unpredictable. In fact unpredictable is a good word to describe them and not something you want from a tyre. At 15,000 miles the rears are now showing some wear so they'll be getting changed out before winter sets in.

Just checked my tyres and after nearly 7,000 miles there is plenty of tread all round, wear looks even, I'd say looks like 6-7mm left all round. I drive it fairly hard in Sport mode.
I've not had my new trophy LR in any other mode than sport as it's so much fun and loves to drift. I don't think my rear tyres are going to last long...

MG4 SE/Standard here, factory fitted with 215/50 17in Continental PremiumContact C.

These tyres are really quiet and seem to grip well, even in the wet. I haven't tested them in heavy rain yet, though. Let's see how long they last... (only 800km on the clock so far, so it's a wee bit early to tell).

By the way, do you perform regular rotations?

Not really any need on the MG4 given its 50:50 weight distribution ... tyre wear is quite uniform. (I've not measured mine, but after ~4300 miles the wear looks even).

Remember though that you'd need to recalibrate the TPMS if you rotated wheel front to back else it would be identifying a puncture/low pressure in the wrong tyre.

MG4 SE/Standard here, factory fitted with 215/50 17in Continental PremiumContact C.

These tyres are really quiet and seem to grip well, even in the wet. I haven't tested them in heavy rain yet, though. Let's see how long they last... (only 800km on the clock so far, so it's a wee bit early to tell).

By the way, do you perform regular rotations?
Not rotating mine. They are wearing evenly and the TPMS system makes it a pain to do the rotations as you have to recode the tyres to the car.

Not rotating mine. They are wearing evenly and the TPMS system makes it a pain to do the rotations as you have to recode the tyres to the car.
Hi, is TPMS recoding really necessary on MG cars after a tire rotation?
I had a couple of cars in the past with TPMS, with none of them there was a problem rotating tires. After changing tires and some miles on the road, every time all tires were correctly identified by TPMS until now. Just have to admit that those cars where ICEs, as I am still waiting for my MG..

The TPMS communicates wirelessly to the sensors, and each sensor has its own wireless address. The car knows which sensor is mapped to which corner, so if you swap front to back and get a rear-left puncture (for example) the TPMS will indicate this as the front-left tyre.

I understand what you describe.
My experience with my last cars with wireless TPMS sensors in the wheels, TPMS recognized the tire positions correctly after change from front to back or summer- to winterwheels after a 5-10 minutes trip. This is was irritating me a bit.
So if I change wheels (all 8 rims equiped with its own TPMS sensor) summer/winter and/or rotate front/back on an MG4 I will have to pay a workshop just to recode the wheels ?

I understand what you describe.
My experience with my last cars with wireless TPMS sensors in the wheels, TPMS recognized the tire positions correctly after change from front to back or summer- to winterwheels after a 5-10 minutes trip. This is was irritating me a bit.
So if I change wheels (all 8 rims equiped with its own TPMS sensor) summer/winter and/or rotate front/back on an MG4 I will have to pay a workshop just to recode the wheels ?
Yes, that is my understanding, although I haven't tried it myself.

Someone was able to recode themselves using an Autel (?) unit ... it's mentioned elsewhere on this board - maybe earlier in this thread.

The standard tyres are definitely optimised for low rolling resistance.
They are grippy once warm and in my experience the handling benefits from being inflated to 35psi when cold at ambient temperature.
They do warm up quickly enough on country lanes but tend to cool down equally as quickly on A roads and motorways if temps are below 7C which is to be expected for a summer tyre.
They become quite floaty on irregular surfaces: on rebound the tyre is a bit too fast probably due to the stiff sidewalls. Although I find contintal tyres in general have this tendency, it’s just accentuated in this low rolling resistance model.
Can’t comment on aquaplaning yet.

I wouldn’t be surprised if any regular (non-low-RR) summer tyre would outperform them in terms of grip in those conditions.

I think the ‘floatiness’ is the main downside of this tyre.
That and the booming sound they emit when hitting a pothole which is to be expected as they are probably a lightweight soft centre tread tyre with stiff sidewalls: the tread just vibrates.

The only equally low rolling resistance summer tyre that might be superior in handling should be the Bridgestone Turanza 6 (aka T6)

The standard tyres are definitely optimised for low rolling resistance.
They are grippy once warm and in my experience the handling benefits from being inflated to 35psi when cold at ambient temperature.
They do warm up quickly enough on country lanes but tend to cool down equally as quickly on A roads and motorways if temps are below 7C which is to be expected for a summer tyre.
They become quite floaty on irregular surfaces: on rebound the tyre is a bit too fast probably due to the stiff sidewalls. Although I find contintal tyres in general have this tendency, it’s just accentuated in this low rolling resistance model.
Can’t comment on aquaplaning yet.

I wouldn’t be surprised if any regular (non-low-RR) summer tyre would outperform them in terms of grip in those conditions.

The only equally low rolling resistance summer tyre that might be superior in handling should be the Bridgestone Turanza 6 (aka T6)
Can’t comment on wear just yet, only 2,200 miles in and mostly done at below the limit speed, low acceleration, mostly motorway.

Get my car next week but the plan is to change the tyres to cross climate 2 straight away, running summer tyres in winter is bad enough but once you factor in rear wheel drive it's a no brainer

My car is up at the garage right now for them to change the tyres tomorrow morning. I've driven about 4,500 miles on the standard tyres, so I'll let you know how much difference this makes.

No way am I driving a car in Scotland in winter in summer tyres, and that goes double for a rear wheel drive car.

It's a tricky one this tyre business when you're leasing the car and things like maintenance and tyres are included in the lease cost. Not even sure whether I'm allowed to change the tyres if I wanted to but if I could it would obviously be at my own expense which isn't ideal. Guess I'll just have to live with the standard ones and hope we have a mild ish winter🤞

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back