MG4: The New Batch

It is ok, I was promised January, so anything sooner would be a bonus.
Agreed.
Advantages of January delivery- It gives time to investigate and learn about the car and to research and buy mats etc. It also gives time for the insurance companies to sort themselves out and fist batch faults to be sorted.
Disadvantages - Finding an ever increasing list of faults and niggles to worry about and wondering if they will have been fixed in time.

We have a blue trophy landing in dock on 17th, well 18th now as the Olympian highway seems to be running 12 hours behind schedule!!! Dealer has indicated it COULD be late November but more likely mid December which is promising!

How are your dealers able to furnish such information? I already have the VIN for my car yet my dealer hasn't a Scooby where the car currently is. 🙄

How are your dealers able to furnish such information? I already have the VIN for my car yet my dealer hasn't a Scooby where the car currently is. 🙄

We don’t have a VIN (do you ask the dealer for this?) but he’s said it’s on a boat due to dock on 17th so guessing they were told which boat it was on? And then working forwards from there I guess it depends how quickly they get them unloaded and onto transporters (not very at the moment it seems)

When I was chatting to my dealer he reckoned the first they find out for sure is about 4 weeks before the arrive

My VIN was on my order paperwork. I'm the same as siteguru I think, in that our cars were on a ship that docked 23rd October (just over 3 weeks ago), I have my VIN number, but the dealer still hasn't been told when they can expect them.

There were obviously issues, with the checking for oil leak/breather, and also someone mentioned a strike at the docks, so I think there must have been more than one boat load of cars stacked up at the docks (or still stacked up!). If there's another ship offloading on 17th November, then their transporters need to get a move on or they'll run out of space!

Got an email Saturday saying my black trophy will be offloaded on the 17th and probably be available some two weeks or so after that. (I think it's the same dealer as WonkoTheSane - Gallaghers, Deeside?)
Yup, Gallagher's, but the only contact they've made since ordering was a phone call to go & test drive their black SE demo car.

The potential me-spec car (blue trophy) is allegedly at Holcroft MG on Cheshire Oaks.
NO SNIPING!

My VIN was on my order paperwork. I'm the same as siteguru I think, in that our cars were on a ship that docked 23rd October (just over 3 weeks ago), I have my VIN number, but the dealer still hasn't been told when they can expect them.
I think mine was on the boat that landed on 21-Oct, as that was the date on the dealer's screen. (They thought that was the date to them - but given that they still don't have the car I've interpreted it as the boat's dock date).

We don’t have a VIN (do you ask the dealer for this?) but he’s said it’s on a boat due to dock on 17th so guessing they were told which boat it was on? And then working forwards from there I guess it depends how quickly they get them unloaded and onto transporters (not very at the moment it seems)
There are two ways to get your car:
  • Via the conventional dealer order system where VIN is assigned as it goes through factory build, then shipped and delivered.
  • Via allocations to dealers from MG randomly assigning cars to them as they arrive off the boat.

Initially it has all been allocations, hence why the dealer can know they have “a car” for you but not when it will arrive.

MG are steadily transitioning back to the traditional factory build-to-order so you’ll know more details earlier.

All of this complicated by strikes at ports, PDI and breather modifications and poor communication.

Edit: Miles said on the podcast by January everything should be back on the build-to-order system, although dealers will buy stock/demonstrators they can sell you

The other dealer local to me (ie. not the one I ordered from) claims to have the exact spec car I want on the forecourt today. Going to go check after work...
UPDATE - Website was lying. Holcroft had a blue trophy a couple of weeks ago, but...
Left my number in case another one randomly appears.

Example below of my car taken from in front of the o/s rear wheel looking towards the n/s rear wheel. Zoom towards the area of undertray in line with the right of the wheel. You can see through the gap to the motor/gearbox, it measured about 15mm in height by about 700mm across. This was missed on the PDI by the supplying dealer but resolved by my local dealer the excellent Paul Rigby in Redditch.
View attachment 12613
I have not found Paul Rigby in Redditch to be excellent.

I placed an order at the beginning of September and I haven’t heard a thing from them since. I’m completely in the dark about my delivery.

They were supposed to tell me when they had a demonstration vehicle available but they didn’t.

Not impressed with them at all. They seem happy to have taken my deposit and then do nothing.

Haven't people heard of the word "proactive"?

If some people are just sitting back waiting for their dealer to contact them then more fool them - sorry, but it's true ... if you have an open order, expedite it.

Haven't people heard of the word "proactive"?

If some people are just sitting back waiting for their dealer to contact them then more fool them - sorry, but it's true ... if you have an open order, expedite it.
Yep, make your dealer part of your team. I bother mine every week and it keeps them on their toes.

just wondering what the boat / docking situation is now. Did a boat unload MG4's 18th November?
Are people still waiting for their car from this delivery date ? If so I would assume by Christmas you might have your vehicle ? What have your dealers told you in the way of updates?

When is the next boat load of MG4's due , early 2023 now?

Mine was an 21st Oct docking and it arrived at the dealer about a week and a half ago. They called me Monday last week to tell me and it needed to be gone by Wednesday. I presumed it was to be booked as a Nov sale. Unfortunatly im still waiting for funds to clear at the bank so hopefully this week. The dealer did tell me i was lucky as they have hit their allowance for this year for registrations which im not convinced is true

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back