My Ownership Log: MG4 Trophy

3.5 months in, 3000 miles

Very little to say really, Foxy continues to purr and nothing has broken, fallen off or come loose, no rattles. She just works and her software foibles and now just part of her character.

We're loving the drive and I think have fully adapted to EV regen now. When I first drove her I found strong regen on the motorway kept slowing me down, so I switched to Adaptive. But over time I have not always bothered to switch mode and now I have my own "adaptive" mode built into my right foot. So she stays in strong regen now.

Biggest issue is seagull poo and how to keep her clean with the hosepipe ban down here, but that's not her fault.

Still very much in love and the drive is still - while no sports car - amazingly good.
Try some waterless car wash and a dry cloth - works for me

Is this a my23 mg4? Many people are saying it’s not an issue with the newer ones. Apologies if you have already mentioned this.
There is a long thread about the undertray here

There is a long thread about the undertray here
Yeah I have been reading this. I can’t make out if any MY23 models have had it

Now an update 6 months and nearly 900 miles into ownership...

Nothing.

The only glitch i had was noticing an undertray bulge, this was after a visit to the dealer for the oil breather mod. there was aslo a couple of bolts missing from the undertray. now all sorted.

I am genuinely astounded by this car, no squeeks or rattles have developed.
I have got alot of cars owned/driven in the past. and is a pleasure to own. Agreed the dealer could be slicker when it comes to service/warranty issues. And the car is never given a wash when at the dealers. Although I have gone from paying circa £600 for a bmw service and a wash, The value on the wash is around £400 of these costs ???. I can cope with that.
I am not going to compare with previous ICE cars from other generations of age. However when discussing with colleagues with EV's. None are happy with their m3 tesla's, peugot owners are not happy with the range on 208 and 2008. My wife works for main dealer supplying seat/skoda/ford/kia, and numerous customers complaints regarding software and build on cupra borns.

Once again i am happy, until i test drive an Xpower !!!

It may have to be another red one, as there have been several comments from strangers all loving it.

Now an update 6 months and nearly 900 miles into ownership...

Nothing.

The only glitch i had was noticing an undertray bulge, this was after a visit to the dealer for the oil breather mod. there was aslo a couple of bolts missing from the undertray. now all sorted.

I am genuinely astounded by this car, no squeeks or rattles have developed.
I have got alot of cars owned/driven in the past. and is a pleasure to own. Agreed the dealer could be slicker when it comes to service/warranty issues. And the car is never given a wash when at the dealers. Although I have gone from paying circa £600 for a bmw service and a wash, The value on the wash is around £400 of these costs ???. I can cope with that.
I am not going to compare with previous ICE cars from other generations of age. However when discussing with colleagues with EV's. None are happy with their m3 tesla's, peugot owners are not happy with the range on 208 and 2008. My wife works for main dealer supplying seat/skoda/ford/kia, and numerous customers complaints regarding software and build on cupra borns.

Once again i am happy, until i test drive an Xpower !!!

It may have to be another red one, as there have been several comments from strangers all loving it.

What BMW was that…?
Last 3-series I had, I was £210 for a main dealer service.
And, because of the variable servicing, it only needed that one service in my three years driving it.

2020 x1.

2014 5 series.

£600 is approx cost

Hmmm….that’s not all representative for a run of the mill service on an X1… 🤔
And attributing £400 of this spurious cost to a hoover and a wash is a bit silly.
I agree servicing costs for EVs are far less, although MG demanding yearly services annoys the hell out of me, but over exaggerating ICE service costs doesn’t add anything to the debate.

6 months, 5200 miles.

Foxy is still going strong, with no problems to report at all. She is boringly reliable. In our recent survey 50% of owners had had no need to visit their dealer for service and another 22% only for an issue quickly fixed, so I suppose I should not be surprised. I do have to top-up the washer fluid fairly regularly, which is a bit of a pain, the capacity isn't massive.

Still debating whether to change the tyres before the winter. The grip is ok with these but noticeably poor in the wet and people report that in the cold wet weather it isn't good. However, they still look pretty brand new, so is it really worth it, especially as it never gets much below freezing here. We'll see.

Finally had my first AEB false-positive recently, slow speed turning right with no obvious hazard and the car slammed the brakes on. Have had this happen before on other makes. The car was quite dirty - we are under a hosepipe ban here - so maybe that had something to do with it. Have since visited the jet wash.

Am going to disable the wireless charging as it is not agreeing with my iPhone and the iPhone has no way to turn wireless charging off. I always plug in for CarPlay anyway, so this is a pointless feature for me.

Still love the instant acceleration and overtaking performance. I don't think that will ever get dull. I sort of hanker after the ER as it has more power and a second and a bit more faster 0-60, but I can't really justify it - certainly don't need the extra range. The XPower would have appealed more 20 years ago, but now I'll pass.

I think the best thing is that MG have really shaken up the market, so whether or not I ever have another MG, they've shown what it is possible to do at a low price point and hopefully there's be far more competition soon.

Hmmm….that’s not all representative for a run of the mill service on an X1… 🤔
And attributing £400 of this spurious cost to a hoover and a wash is a bit silly.
I agree servicing costs for EVs are far less, although MG demanding yearly services annoys the hell out of me, but over exaggerating ICE service costs doesn’t add anything to the debate.
1693807818157.png

This is taken from the bmw service online booking for my previous vehicle. The figure also doesnt include an electronic service check which is added on to this cost. So It is my 'representation' of what I paid at the time. so I would agree with your valuation of approx £200 for the actual service work carried out, that is what I would expect to pay for the amount of work required for a car service. This is why my value of the wash is about £400 in this case.

Still unhappy that my mg dealer in Leeds doesnt do this, But would be more unhappy if they bumped up the cost of servicing to make them a 'nicer' dealer experience.

What BMW was that…?
Last 3-series I had, I was £210 for a main dealer service.
And, because of the variable servicing, it only needed that one service in my three years driving it.
The MG4 is going to cost more than my 3L BMW Main Dealer service over 5 years.
The MG offer for servicing has a charge and is very heavily loaded on the front end.

The MG4 is going to cost more than my 3L BMW Main Dealer service over 5 years.
The MG offer for servicing has a charge and is very heavily loaded on the front end.
That's really poor, considering how little is done in EV servicing

Last edited:
Might be a good idea to check service plan cost via the MG website. This was substantially cheaper for me than going to the dealership directly (and certainly cheaper than doing per service, they tried to charge me £150 for ZS first service, which is visual check only).

Ref. the "MG servicing will cost more than BWM over 5 years" comment - does the BMW service also include Roadside Assist with Home Start for the following year?

Ref. the "MG servicing will cost more than BWM over 5 years" comment - does the BMW service also include Roadside Assist with Home Start for the following year?
No but I have that through the Nationwide as I have another car and 7.5m 4 ton motorhome. I am covered in the UK and most of Europe for roadside, home and recovery for any vehicle my wife and I are in and anyone driving our vehicles which do not need to be registered. Extra AA cover not required. Nationwide bonus this year brought monthly cost to below £0

I really don't get MG's service pricing, I know legacy car makers are still trying to generate money but, and this is in no way meant as a my car is better than your car post!
My service plan for my car is £4.99 a month for 3 years (legacy car maker) and I have 3 years assistance with my car also.

It doesn't have to be a rip off.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel