I'm the same.
My MG5 has never seen the inside of my garage as it's reserved for the RS.

Something I've been meaning to ask, birdshit aside, is there much benefit to garaging a car regularly as opposed to leaving it parked outside? I see a lot of cars that have never been in a garage in their lives looking pretty good, and I think I read somewhere that garages can hold the damp and promote rust.

Something I've been meaning to ask, birdshit aside, is there much benefit to garaging a car regularly as opposed to leaving it parked outside? I see a lot of cars that have never been in a garage in their lives looking pretty good, and I think I read somewhere that garages can hold the damp and promote rust.
They can do unless the car is put away dry or in an air conditioned garage with a dehumidifier. A carport is probably the best us mere mortals can do.

Another advantage of parking the car on the drive is your insurance might be lower than if its kept in a garage.

I have a garage, it has my wife's pride and joy in it. The MG would never be allowed in there.
Ok what’s parked in it? lol

In February of 2025 we move into a new home, garage, driveway & as soon as we get there I’ll be putting new padlocks on & hiding the key 👍😁

Paint and tyres don't suffer UV degradation in the garage and if you are serious about this stuff, you use a dehumidifier.

They can do unless the car is put away dry or in an air conditioned garage with a dehumidifier. A carport is probably the best us mere mortals can do.

Another advantage of parking the car on the drive is your insurance might be lower than if its kept in a garage.
Intrigued about this - why? Surely it's more protected and a reduced theft risk if in the garage? Do they think there's a greater risk of accidental damage when getting in and out of the garage?

Intrigued about this - why? Surely it's more protected and a reduced theft risk if in the garage? Do they think there's a greater risk of accidental damage when getting in and out of the garage?
I was intrigued by this as well. Just done a quick Google search & this was first post & some replies to why a driveway could be cheaper than a garage …….

This is because:

• Many garages in older houses were designed for the smaller cars that were popular decades ago, and can be too small for modern cars
  • Insurers may also take into account the fact that burglars have instant access to garaged cars once they’ve broken into a house, which might be a particular risk factor in areas with high numbers of break ins
  • Cars are bigger nowadays and getting into and out of a garage can be quite a squeeze and scraping the wing on a wall or dislodging a paint pot from a shelf above the car could lead to claims …….

Garages are better but British garages are tiny and small because house builders try to cram so many houses together and an extra 2 ft wider can mean a few houses less thus less profit.

Also our next door neighbour has to park his old Volvo on the road outside his house and the number of times my cctv gets triggered and looking at the footage I see the same kids between 12-3am walking over the car roof

I told my insurer that my car is garaged because it is, quite a lot of the time. I put it in there to charge, to keep it from becoming buried in snow (or even covered in frost), and to keep bird shit off it. So far as I know this reduces the premium. They even asked if the garage was locked, either during the day or the night or both.

My garage is large (it's double, although I only have one car) and although it's attached to the house there is no connecting door. I can't see any way this increases the risk to the car, and indeed while I was quizzed about locking the garage there were no questions about connecting doors or width.

I was intrigued by this as well. Just done a quick Google search & this was first post & some replies to why a driveway could be cheaper than a garage …….

This is because:

• Many garages in older houses were designed for the smaller cars that were popular decades ago, and can be too small for modern cars
  • Insurers may also take into account the fact that burglars have instant access to garaged cars once they’ve broken into a house, which might be a particular risk factor in areas with high numbers of break ins
  • Cars are bigger nowadays and getting into and out of a garage can be quite a squeeze and scraping the wing on a wall or dislodging a paint pot from a shelf above the car could lead to claims …….
Sorry but that (bold) doesn't make sense ... if they've broken into the house they'll likely get the car keys anyway. The car being outside makes it easier for them to steal it; being in the garage means they have an extra obstacle to clear. 🤷‍♂️

Sorry but that (bold) doesn't make sense ... if they've broken into the house they'll likely get the car keys anyway. The car being outside makes it easier for them to steal it; being in the garage means they have an extra obstacle to clear. 🤷‍♂️
100% agree, seems odd

The house my mum & dad had in London had a garage but there was only the garage door, no door at back of garage where you can walk straight into house so unless ( or vice versa ) people have their garage/car keys hanging up with a sign saying “CAR/GARAGE KEY” how do burglars have instant access?

My friend lives in a bungalow, driveway & the garage is sbout 50 yards from actual house. The garage door has key lock in handle + he’s got a heavy duty padlock on door. Not impossible to get into but definitely not instant access

The house we will move into next year has the main garage door & door on side of garage that you can walkthrough into hallway of house, this door will be fitted with locks as will the garage door

So again yes, makes no sense

Well, I'm intrigued, are you going to leave this as a guessing game for forum members, or maybe spoil the fun and tell us? A kind man would give us to the end of the week! :D :)

Ok what’s parked in it? lol

In February of 2025 we move into a new home, garage, driveway & as soon as we get there I’ll be putting new padlocks on & hiding the key 👍😁

I'm happy to facilitate a guessing game until the end of the week if that's what you're after.

I'm happy to facilitate a guessing game until the end of the week if that's what you're after.
Get a cuppa.

In 2015 a 16 year old Sicilian, Maurice, came to Bristol to study English history at one of the many fine colleges. Between lectures he would tour the museums and attempt to improve his very poor English. To fund this adventure, he found work as a pizza artisan in a restaurant which claimed to be authentic Italian but was owned by a red-necked, bigoted , ****hole of a man (you know the type). Maurice was a great find and business boomed, giving an authenticity previously lacking. As this work started to develop Maurice's muscles, and his olive-skinned tone reflected in the wood-fired ovens, Maurice also became a great hit with the ladies of Bristol. His few words of English (I ama the Maurice with a Parisian dialect) rang around the restaurant as he span his dough with only the flourish and skill a Sicilian could manage, whilst bigot man enjoyed the profits. His hatred of Maurice intensified and he vowed vengeance.

Moving on to the start of covid, and shutdowns began and the effects of "the vote", Maurice thought, time to go home. Bigot man in an unexpected moment of kindness bought him a bus ticket to get to Portsmouth to catch one of the last ferries available for some time. Maurice quickly packed and rushed to the bus station, only on arrival to find biggoty had found a ticket for yesterday's bus. Destitute and on the street, his English never needed to improve. Inarticulate, he sat in a car park and almost cried. By fortune Mr D Simpkins happened to be passing. A kind man by nature (to be amended later?) he recognised Maurice, as pizza was one of his family's passions and the restaurant was regularly visited.

Seeing the mess that Maurice was in they took him in, but as the times were uncertain, secretly. Maurice was given the garage to live in, a bed, small kitchenette, and a wood-fired pizza oven with chimney were installed. Happy with his redemption Maurice set to work producing the best pizzas of his life. The neighbours, unhappy with the carcinogenic wood smoke, were pacified by the bread-based treats being exported from the Simpkins residence, although they had no idea how!

To improve his English Maurice was given a CD, Divine Comedy's Greatest Hits, which unfortunately contained the tracks National Express and There's something in the Woodshed. These started to prey on Maurice's mind, and with his knowledge of Bristol's rise of wealth and history and longing to return to Sicily, decided that when all the restrictions were over he'd be off, although thankful for the civility shown to him. This was also exacerbated by the fact that Mr D owing to "the vote" was now unable to access the right ingredients needed for the quality of pizza required by Maurice; Dairylea and ketchup and inferior flour just don't cut it.

The neighbours, now bereft of their snacks, started questioning the pollution. Fortunately Mr D bought an MG4 and the wood oven went and was replaced by an electric one, which was run by the V2L from the new car which of course could not access the garage. Unfortunately the ingredient problem was insurmountable and Maurice packed his bags, leaving the CD. Mrs D, distraught, decided that some of the pizza profits would go to a classic Italian car to be kept as a keepsake to the memory of Maurice (a name they always pronounced with a northern twang), so she bought a 1980s Morris Ital 1.3 in beige (like the dough) and that now takes pride of place in its cosy oven-heated garage.

Sunday morning well spent, cleaned inside and out. I do like the Supagard cleaning pack that came with the car. Have added some additional items over the past year to make cleaning a lot quicker and easier. Still got to try their Paint Seal cream that another member recommended.View attachment 24537
IF you paid for paint protection it already has paint seal cream applied. The only additional products apart from ph neutral shampoo is Supagard Gloss enhancer. It is a pink cream & a pea on your applicator is enough for a panel.wipe on evenly & simply buff off with the supplied soft cloth. The official Supagard seller I recommended on ebay sold it to me for £17:95 delivered but I haven’t had chance to try it on mine as yet.

IF i could get my x power in the garage I would. Firstly it would improve range by keeping the battery out of freezing temperatures & secondly I could do my paint protection & tinkering in peace without neighbours giving funny looks & passing comment.

Attachments

• IMG_7157.jpeg
    IMG_7157.jpeg
    215.6 KB · Views: 27
IF you paid for paint protection it already has paint seal cream applied. The only additional products apart from ph neutral shampoo is Supagard Gloss enhancer. It is a pink cream & a pea on your applicator is enough for a panel.wipe on evenly & simply buff off with the supplied soft cloth. The official Supagard seller I recommended on ebay sold it to me for £17:95 delivered but I haven’t had chance to try it on mine as yet.

IF i could get my x power in the garage I would. Firstly it would improve range by keeping the battery out of freezing temperatures & secondly I could do my paint protection & tinkering in peace without neighbours giving funny looks & passing comment.
Sod the neighbours. 🙂

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel