Why I am so happy not to own a Tesla model 3

I think with the automation that Tesla has (voice, self drive etc), theres a strong argument for lower power versions that would give say 0-60 in 9 seconds or so to help the elderly with cheaper insurance and a more manageable car.
When I was young a 0-60 in 9 seconds would have been incredibly fast. I remember the Dolomite Sprint launch and that had a 8.5 ish 0-60 which at the time, 1973, was fast for a normal family car.

However as you bring it up and I agree with what you say, I don't think it a sensitive subject at all, it is a very serious and concerning one. if anyone carries on driving beyond their ability to do so safely then they risk not only their own safety but the lives of others, maybe one of yours or my family.
It's a very tough call, 10 years ago I became an Approved Driving Instructor. The part II test involved me driving the car with a Chief Examiner monitoring closely what I was doing. In his words 'the test is to a very high standard and for an extended time' I was pleased at the end of 90 minutes I was complimented on my driving and had 0 faults minor or otherwise and no other comments. That was at age 59, in my past I have also done ROSPA and IAM tests to try and keep up my standard. I fully intend next year at age 70 to do the ROSPA test again to keep my driving standard up, when the day comes that I'm unable to meet the standard I will hang my keys up for the last time and sell my car.

When I was young a 0-60 in 9 seconds would have been incredibly fast. I remember the Dolomite Sprint launch and that had a 8.5 ish 0-60 which at the time, 1973, was fast for a normal family car.
Yep it was, I had a dolmite sprint too it was a revelation, later a 3.1 litre turbo charged capri (Broadspeed Bullet) which was just under 8 seconds to 60, 10 years ago I bough a 2 litre golf diesel as a driving school car that did 7.5 to 60 in diesel!!!!! How things have changed.

It wasn't a comment about anything other than voice operated gloveboxes.
Understood.
However as you bring it up and I agree with what you say, I don't think it a sensitive subject at all, it is a very serious and concerning one. if anyone carries on driving beyond their ability to do so safely then they risk not only their own safety but the lives of others, maybe one of yours or my family.
I meant it is sensitive with some people, not especially with me.

Yes, you have a point - but it is only a potential risk, not a certainty and that means in practice you are trading a slowly rising risk that might still be very low, balanced by experience and adjusting speed down and only driving in the daytime etc... against someone losing their whole independence (again, not everyone, depends on circumstances).

That's not as simple a call as people make it out to be. There is not one day when you suddenly become a danger on the road.

I like John's approach of having regular assessments of your driving as you get older, so you have an independent appraisal. I'd welcome that becoming mandatory for licence renewal post-70.

Understood.

I meant it is sensitive with some people, not especially with me.

Yes, you have a point - but it is only a potential risk, not a certainty and that means in practice you are trading a slowly rising risk that might still be very low, balanced by experience and adjusting speed down and only driving in the daytime etc... against someone losing their whole independence (again, not everyone, depends on circumstances).

That's not as simple a call as people make it out to be. There is not one day when you suddenly become a danger on the road.

I like John's approach of having regular assessments of your driving as you get older, so you have an independent appraisal. I'd welcome that becoming mandatory for licence renewal post-70.
With the standard of driving I see on the road these days, I think a mandatory refresher every couple of years would be a good thing. It seems that a lot of younger drivers think they have to follow the highway code whilst they are learning, and when they take their test and can then throw the rule book out of the window.

I had an Austin 1100 when I was a student, and that used to do 0 -60 eventually or when it felt like it. :)

Oh, and kudos to johnb80 for taking his ROSPA test. Awesome.

I think with the automation that Tesla has (voice, self drive etc), theres a strong argument for lower power versions that would give say 0-60 in 9 seconds or so to help the elderly with cheaper insurance and a more manageable car.
On the point of Tesla automation, I am of the opinion that the level 5 automation must be able to pass the advanced driving test in any village, town or city, under any conditions. And to be fair, watching Dirty Tesla on Youtube, the latest iteration is pretty impressive.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom