Why I am so happy not to own a Tesla model 3

My problem with Tesla, is that they have an unstable, immature, untrustworthy CEO, who can turn features off and on when he feels like it. No thanks. If I buy a car, I want to own all of it.
I wish I was as unstable, and immature. Maybe I could afford a new Tesla then.

I don't think they are and I never said they were, but there definitely seems to be more available on the App 🤔
But you did say "I have an X Power and exclusively charge at Tesla Superchargers" which would seem impractical when travelling around if you cant use any/all Tesla Superchargers to maintain you 'exclusively' tag?

But you did say "I have an X Power and exclusively charge at Tesla Superchargers" which would seem impractical when travelling around if you cant use any/all Tesla Superchargers to maintain you 'exclusively' tag?
Looking at the ZapMap with filter set to show only Tesla Superchargers open to all it looks like it would be quite feasible to charge exclusively at them wherever you go in the UK.
There is a bit of a lack available around northern England so 130 miles between Harrogate and Bamburgh and over 200 between Manchester and Glasgow as looks like the biggest gaps. Even Luton to Sheffield up the M1 is only 130 miles.

Looking at the ZapMap with filter set to show only Tesla Superchargers open to all it looks like it would be quite feasible to charge exclusively at them wherever you go in the UK.
There is a bit of a lack available around northern England so 130 miles between Harrogate and Bamburgh and over 200 between Manchester and Glasgow as looks like the biggest gaps. Even Luton to Sheffield up the M1 is only 130 miles.
I hadnt realised they had opened so many..... certainly good value for non Tesla drivers and not a problem if the charging port is in the right place.

LOL, that sounds expensive, I much prefer to charge from Octopus on my driveway at 7.5p ;)

You can keep your driveway and your neighbours! 🤣
I really don't mind paying the reasonable 37ppkWh!

It's the price I'm extremely happy to pay to live off grid, surrounded by wonderful Welsh Countryside and no near neighbours.

Last edited:
You can keep your driveway and your neighbours! 🤣
I really don't mind paying the reasonable 37ppkWh!

It's the price I'm extremely happy to pay to live off grid, surrounded by wonderful Welsh Countryside and no near neighbours.
Thats great that youre contented with your location "Mwynhewch eich bywyd" ;)

I enjoy 7.5p or 0p kWh and no 20mph speed limits :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

#Rolfe - not bickering just banter (well it is from my part, absolutely no offence intended or taken).

Well here in Orstruckinfalia there is a word missing. They should read "Tesla Super Expensive" chargers. Cost is around 85 cents/kWH compared to 50-60 cents at other 150-350 kW chargers.

I've done just over 9000 km so far with a total cost for electricity being $35.00. I have only done 2 long trips, one 500km each way & the other 300km each way & that's where the cost came in.

I charge at home when the sun is shining & that is quite often here in the Antipodes. I have 8.5kW of solar panels & being retired with the car in the garage 3-4 days a week there is plenty of time to suck those rays into the cars battery.

I like the technology of Tesla, but I do think Tesla's car line up is the weakest part of its offering for a European audience.

There is only one car, the M3, at a mass market price point and it is a saloon, not even a hatchback.

The idiosyncrasies (no driver screen, no stalks, no CarPlay, almost no buttons, excessively spartan interior) are deal-breakers for me, so I will continue to look elsewhere.

Maybe the M2 will be great but I doubt it because Elon has described it as "very utilitarian" and aimed at developing countries.

Tesla's priorities - extreme volume, growth and cost cutting - as noble as they are to meet the goal of EV adoption, they just do not intersect with my priorities when I buy a car.

But that's fine, I can appreciate Tesla and use their chargers while driving other makes.

I like the technology of Tesla, but I do think Tesla's car line up is the weakest part of its offering for a European audience.
Really? Model 3, Model Y, Model S, Model X and Cybertruck? Who else has a similar range, not MG thats for sure, Vauxhall, JLR, VW?

There is only one car, the M3, at a mass market price point and it is a saloon, not even a hatchback.
And.......?

The idiosyncrasies (no driver screen, no stalks, no CarPlay, almost no buttons, excessively spartan interior) are deal-breakers for me, so I will continue to look elsewhere.
Carplay can be easily added if you so wish, ditto physical buttons and a driver display! I agree with you, no stalks is a deal breaker though.

Tesla's priorities - extreme volume, growth and cost cutting - as noble as they are to meet the goal of EV adoption, they just do not intersect with my priorities when I buy a car.
Is that why they put camera's everywhere, use really nice quality materials, provide a fully lined 'frunk'?

But that's fine, I can appreciate Tesla and use their chargers while driving other makes.
Yep, Tesla have a great vision and the ability to make it happen.

You missed my point about the range at mass market price points. Only the M3 qualifies, so it is irrelevant to me how many other models they make that cost a fortune.

A hatchback is the most popular configuration in Europe at mass market price points, by far. That's your "And...?" explained. Apologies, I thought that was well known. Certainly I wouldn't want to go back to not having one as because we only have one car, the flexibility matters.

Being able to add CarPlay with 3rd party equipment, is not a winner for me when competitors almost all offer it built in. Ditto buttons for features. I don't need to bother doing that when I can buy a car that comes with them!

Tesla's priorities are not up for debate - Musk has endlessly talked about their efforts to increase volumes to hit 20 million cars a year and how hard they work to extract costs. Removing the second driver's display, buttons, stalks etc... are NOT about providing a better driver experience. They are done because it makes the car quicker and cheaper to produce.

I did not mention the interior materials and frunk. I do not criticise these, but that's irrelevant to the points I did make.

The point of this thread is to share our reasons why we wouldn't buy one. These are mine.

I agree with @tsedge. That was exactly my thinking when I started looking for an EV. I wanted a hatchback, saloon was a deal-breaker. Even before you come into the rest of his points, which I also agree with. The MG4 simply leaped out at me as "exactly what I want, and my God look at the price!"

The market is still evolving and different manufacturers will learn from their mistakes and each other's mistakes until there is a consensus around a more acceptable product.

I agree with @tsedge. That was exactly my thinking when I started looking for an EV. I wanted a hatchback, saloon was a deal-breaker.
Model Y is a hatchback as is Model X

Even before you come into the rest of his points, which I also agree with. The MG4 simply leaped out at me as "exactly what I want, and my God look at the price!"
Theres no denying that MG is a great price BUT that is it's USP, the rest of the MG is nothing sensational quality, reliability, features all leave something to be desired. MG customer service and dealer network is abysmal.

The market is still evolving and different manufacturers will learn from their mistakes and each other's mistakes until there is a consensus around a more acceptable product.
Hopefully they will learn, MG is seemingly reluctant to listen to customers etc.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom