• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

11kw 3 phase charging ion UK Trophy

So it's just been confirmed by someone that the SE LR has an 3 phase charge port
Post in thread '22kw charging' 22kw charging

So it's starting to look like this is indeed the case in summary SE SR 7Kw, SE and Trophy LR both 11 kW. Nobody has responded to say they have different, including the latest deliveries.

Hence now don't believe the initial statements that only the first 200 or so UK cars would get 11kW due to parts shortages etc.
Well this and the fact that it is clearly stated in the manual that 11kW is supported. Can’t see why they’d put that in if it was just a temporary state of affairs.

Well this and the fact that it is clearly stated in the manual that 11kW is supported. Can’t see why they’d put that in if it was just a temporary state of affairs.
Agreed I read that so I asked Mile's on the podcast way back and he stated quite clearly no...so even dealers were not clear at the outset...back to wonderful MG comms perhaps?

Agreed I read that so I asked Mile's on the podcast way back and he stated quite clearly no...so even dealers were not clear at the outset...back to wonderful MG comms perhaps?
I think so. I know that it was advertised in the EU as >7kW public charging is very common there and not advertised here, which also lead people to think it wasn’t happening.

Would be soooo much easier with clear communication.

Can non-Tesla owners buy this cable too?

Edit: Ordered, thanks for your tip.

Cable arrived today. Looks high quality German made.

20221206_165444.jpg

I think it is a good buy as others are almost double the price. Thanks to @Davemac278 for the tip.

Just ordered a 3 phase cable from Tesla. At £85 including delivery it’s cheaper than most single phase cables. If you try to order via the Tesla website it will tell you that you need to be a registered Tesla owner. But if you download the Tesla app there are no such restrictions. And of course you get access to a few of their Super Chargers

3 phase supply in domestic properties in Europe is common practice as opposed to single supply in UK therefore would make sense for mg to standardise supplying all cars with 3 phase ac
to the onboard Rectifier

Same logic would see the steering wheel on the left .... ;)

More seriously a single phase unit would be cheaper and MG already produce one for the SR.

3 phase supply in domestic properties in Europe is common practice as opposed to single supply in UK therefore would make sense for mg to standardise supplying all cars with 3 phase ac
to the onboard Rectifier
No, it is not that common.
You can ask it to be installed, but you'll have to pay a lot.
In Spain what is common is having a master 30Amp limiter in your house whereas here you get 100Amp fuse in general.
You would freak out if you see the electricity standing charges in Spain (they depend on power available).

to the onboard Rectifier
3 Phase supply is extremely common with most chargers in my experience. 10 out of the 12 AC chargers i've used out and about have been 3 phase, Most 22KW, some 11KW. Its also worth noting if you are a taxi driver who does local runs (there is one on here) Getting a 3 phase, 22KW charger installed to your home is usually much cheaper then getting a 43KW Rapid DC charger installed to your home.

It may sounds small, But take my local tesco which has 22KW chargers for charging One and a half hours

One has got 16.5, and one 10.5 Kwh of charge. That could be another 18 miles.

... this is sort of related.... (and I'll try this in the morning).. so can you extend a granny charger (10A) at the car end?, with the standard MG4 5m single phase cable? (in a garage -so IP ratings will be fine - just going up to "grannies / my 90 year old mother" over xmas, and thinking ahead regarding safe charging, as dont think a bog standard extention lead would be sufficient at the granny charger mains 3 pronged plug end?)

... this is sort of related.... (and I'll try this in the morning).. so can you extend a granny charger (10A) at the car end?, with the standard MG4 5m single phase cable? (in a garage -so IP ratings will be fine - just going up to "grannies / my 90 year old mother" over xmas, and thinking ahead regarding safe charging, as dont think a bog standard extention lead would be sufficient at the granny charger mains 3 pronged plug end?)
I made myself a heavy duty charger with 2.5mm Arctic flex which is good for 25A and rated for down to -20C generally.

Also the MG4 you can limit the charge current in the car to 8A so you can run on a normal lead as long as it's in reeled and water proof

So, as a as yet carless newbie, can I just get this clear.
For a MG4 Trophy,
I can use a 32A 3 phase type 2 cable at any AC chargepoint, whatever the max output of that chargepoint is?
Would I be right in assuming that if I were to use a 7.4kW charger, I could expect a charge rate of up to around 7kW max but could use the same cable at a 22kW charger and expect a charge rate of up to 11kW?
Yes absolutely 👍

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 423 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel