Unfortunatly for me this is not a "zappy" problem , I believe it is the battery and its software thats faulty each time the upgrade ( if they did) it resets to factory settings again ! As I stated the dealership are only interested in selling you a car after that your on your own .
I think that is a bit harsh, not all dealers are tarred with the same brush. Admittedly on the sales side this may be the case, but if a repair garage is attached then it is in their best interested to keep updating etc as they get work form MG in form of warranty work

I own a 23 plate MG4 standard range have had it since Mar '23, up until Sept never needed to use the AC fast charge, but when I did it failed to communicate (its words not mine at several pod points so then I tried quite a few more fast chargers Instavolt BP etc still no joy .
The dealers and I shall name them at the end of this have had the car back 4 times and each time assuring me the fault has been rectified only to find that its not had other faults show up too with dab radio then lights failing to switch off also the FCW slamming on the brakes so hard it was like being running into a wall. Had it back in now coz the charge said 30% and 50 miles range left and the car cut out to crawler mode every time that I tried to accelerate gently away from lights and at roundabouts etc .
Has anyone had these problems and were they fixed , I'm at my wits end with this car its not fit for purpose but the dealer wont correct these faults and keep blanking me saying there's nothing wrong btw they are called CHAPELHOUSE .

HELP

Hi, can you just clarify please, so you never charge at home ? You also use rapid DC chargers ? (CCS) all the time

Regards

Last edited:
Mine has been in the workshop where after some software updates, they confirmed there is indeed an issue with AC charging. It's going back in on monday where they said again they're going to try some updates. I have a feeling that's gonna do bugger all.
I genuinely think it's about time that MG (with pressure from the dealerships) owned up to this problem now. In my mind,it's time for a proper recall on all the cars fitted with the 3 phase charge ports.
It's starting to affect people's perception of the brand & MUST be affecting dealerships in having to deal with very unsatisfied customers who (in my case thanks to this & other forums) seem to understand more about this problem than they do. 🤦

I genuinely think it's about time that MG (with pressure from the dealerships) owned up to this problem now. In my mind,it's time for a proper recall on all the cars fitted with the 3 phase charge ports.
It's starting to affect people's perception of the brand & MUST be affecting dealerships in having to deal with very unsatisfied customers who (in my case thanks to this & other forums) seem to understand more about this problem than they do. 🤦
I think that would be the right thing to do (recall). I also think there is a supply issue with the CCUs. I don't know how many phase 1 long range models are in the wild but I wouldn't have thought it's a trivial number.
I hope that when I get the replacement fitted it's not another from the same batch.

I think that would be the right thing to do (recall). I also think there is a supply issue with the CCUs. I don't know how many phase 1 long range models are in the wild but I wouldn't have thought it's a trivial number.
I hope that when I get the replacement fitted it's not another from the same batch.
MG could also tell the dealerships of the problem so they don't keep telling us things that aren't correct.
Mind you, In my case, It's bad enough just getting the dealer to contact me. It's been a month 🤦

MG could certainly be proactive about telling the dealers this is a problem.

Regarding a recall, that really depends what percentage are affected and may or may not be justified. Replacing all the CCUs would be a logistical nightmare and would be supply-constrained so even if MG wanted to do that they might be unable due to capacity in their supplier.

Remember - many brands share the same suppliers and other makes are getting CCU problems too and affected by the same delays getting them replaced.

I do wonder if it is a single component that could be replaced rather than swapping the whole CCU - but we live in a throwaway age.

Have just spoken to dealer, stated that MG technical suggested changing a fuse which the dealer did, tried to charge Ok but overnight the fault re-appeared and dealer went back to MG technical for the next suggestion. Does no one have any experience with fault diagnosis anymore, MG seem to not trust the local technicians to do their job and thus introduce vast delays in the return of the vehicle. I don't think this is a dealer issue it is the MG technical that seems to be remotely doing the fault diagnosis, that is why all these repairs are taking so long.

My dealer was able to install all the software updates and retest the car and send all data to MG for diagnosis within about 3 hours.

I dropped the car off at 8.30 and collected at 11.30, then they sent the info to MG and a couple of days later they were authorised to order a new CCU.

So it can be done efficiently, but I think some dealers lack properly trained technicians (on the new MG EVs) and they seem to struggle to work the system.

The fact that I gave them a written diagnosis of the problem and the AC and DC charger testing I had done probably also speeded up the process - as did the fact I was able to speak to the technician before the work was done.

I am guessing that in some dealers - and without this sort of customer information - they may first think the customer is at fault, then try a few things (parts darts?) and only reluctantly follow up with MG technical when everything else fails.

It is slow getting a response from MG China, but it is a lot faster than it was a year ago.

I've just spoken to my dealer (several apologies from different people who were meant to call me back but didn't). Apparently MG have authorised a "swap out" of the PTC unit (part of the cabin heater system) saying MG will only pay for 1 thing at a time. It's been a month & I still don't think they're any closer to sorting the fault. MG are shocking, but my contract is with the dealer, so unfortunately they get to know how poor I think we are treated. I love my MG4, but hate they way I/we are treated. We have paid good money & are not getting what we paid for. 😞

I doubt the PTC heater has anything to do with the charging issue. 🙄
Yeah,my response exactly to which the tech guy said "everything is linked" & MG won't say yes to paying for a CCU when there's possibly another problem.
The shame,is that the customer suffers 🤦
Still,they're meant to be calling me back again today..... ....

Maybe the PTC heater is AC, so is linked with the CCU as it uses the inverter to convert battery DC to AC power? That's the only possible link I could think of.

Update: advised this morning that the attempts they've tried,did not work. (Definitely not PTC so no surprise there). They're going back to MG & will let me know...🤦
Thanks for the update, Birdy. I suppose they have to pursue all avenues, but it’s strange that some dealers get the go ahead for a new CCU after failed software updates and others have to try a different tack like yours.

Thanks for the update, Birdy. I suppose they have to pursue all avenues, but it’s strange that some dealers get the go ahead for a new CCU after failed software updates and others have to try a different tack like yours.
I get the feeling the dealerships are having to fight on our behalf, I believe MG wanted to put me through another round of software updates but the dealership insisted on "doing the right thing"

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 519 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back