Dad's MG4 LR Trophy in with Holdcroft MG Stoke today - pretty useless, claiming that it's my Dad's charger when we've tried it on 2 other 7kw chargers that are working fine with other cars (including my MG5). He has an MG4 courtesy car, so of course he should be able to prove that his charger is fine tonight when he gives that a charge, but customers shouldn't be intimidated into proving that they are telling the truth!
evmick,I agree with you totally. I've posted on another group,that it feels like"Mr Bates vs the Post Office" ie,your dealer says "you are the only one!!" But there's lots of us!!
It's very frustrating. Some dealers need to treat their customers much better & MG need to sort things out quicker.

I’m guessing it’s because the battery hasn’t had a proper balance charge in three months, but I’m noticing I’m not getting 100% power now when accelerating. It goes to 98%. Also, after my last DC rapid charge, there was no regenerative braking effect until I got below 70% SOC, whereas normally it kicks in much higher at about 95%. Has anyone been experiencing similar discrepancies with their car?
Hi @FiferMG4 no I haven't seen this (but I haven't been paying that much close attention). I am getting regen braking normally as far as I can tell. Will look out for it.

Mine was balanced shortly before this problem started, so it has only been about 6 weeks or so since.

Not being able to balance charge is a problem. It may help if you can charge it as close to 100% on a Rapid charger - I've been charging it up well into the 90s.

Hi @FiferMG4 no I haven't seen this (but I haven't been paying that much close attention). I am getting regen braking normally as far as I can tell. Will look out for it.

Mine was balanced shortly before this problem started, so it has only been about 6 weeks or so since.

Not being able to balance charge is a problem. It may help if you can charge it as close to 100% on a Rapid charger - I've been charging it up well into the 90s.
Thanks for the advice tsedge. I’ll try that at the weekend.

evmick,I agree with you totally. I've posted on another group,that it feels like"Mr Bates vs the Post Office" ie,your dealer says "you are the only one!!" But there's lots of us!!
It's very frustrating. Some dealers need to treat their customers much better & MG need to sort things out quicker.
So - quick update on Dad's MG4 Trophy - dealer after several trips in/out to convince them it's a hardware issue has now ordered new CCU. No forecast yet on delivery times. Will keep you posted.

So - quick update on Dad's MG4 Trophy - dealer after several trips in/out to convince them it's a hardware issue has now ordered new CCU. No forecast yet on delivery times. Will keep you posted.
Glad to hear you’ve got past the first hurdle.

To be fair, the software updates have helped in at least one case in this thread and as the CCU is not a cheap part, I understand why MG wish to rule out the software first, though it shouldn’t really have to involve several trips. Tsedge’s post #223 gives a good rundown on when we’re likely to see the part be delivered.

Pleased to report that after a rapid charge up to 97% (the max it will go), the car’s power is back up to 100% when accelerating.

Not sure why your cars only go to 97%, mine does go to 100%, at the moment mine is in the garage awaiting a response from MG UK, the symptoms were, on AC charge then stop, charge then stop, repeat, and the charger socket did not have any lights to show SOC.

I did have a loaner MG4 so that is a consolation. I have also signed up to Octopus Intelligent Go with the hope the car will be fixed at some point, and as the loaner is a SE short range you cannot set 80% on the charge screen so it charges to 100% overnight. I Don't plug it in every night to reduce the number of times it goes to 100%. I do miss the Trophy though, heated steering wheel, ACC.

Not sure why your cars only go to 97%, mine does go to 100%, at the moment mine is in the garage awaiting a response from MG UK, the symptoms were, on AC charge then stop, charge then stop, repeat, and the charger socket did not have any lights to show SOC.
I’m guessing because the rapid chargers we are using can’t charge at very low amounts (such as 200 watts which I see my Zappi doing) to balance the battery after 97%. The lowest I saw the rapid charger go to was 2.8kW and then it stopped charging at 97%.

I see you have another problem in addition to the intermittent charging on AC. The lights still show on my car’s charging port. Hopefully MG UK will get back to you soon with the fix.

Last edited by a moderator:

I did have a loaner MG4 so that is a consolation. I have also signed up to Octopus Intelligent Go with the hope the car will be fixed at some point, and as the loaner is a SE short range you cannot set 80% on the charge screen so it charges to 100% overnight. I Don't plug it in every night to reduce the number of times it goes to 100%. I do miss the Trophy though, heated steering wheel, ACC.
SE SR does have ACC!

I want that update!

DelBoy, you don't have to worry about the SR's battery being at 100%. It can take whatever you want to throw at it. It's handy because it means you have much the same range as you have in the LR for day to day use. It's just that on long journeys you don't have any more range to tap into, and the DC charging speed is lower.

The options are Off, ACC, or TJA. (At the top of the MG Pilot tab in Car settings, from memory). If Off is selected then (as I recall) you have an option of Speed Limit Mode.

This is for the SE - the layout may be different in the Trophy.

I own a 23 plate MG4 standard range have had it since Mar '23, up until Sept never needed to use the AC fast charge, but when I did it failed to communicate (its words not mine at several pod points so then I tried quite a few more fast chargers Instavolt BP etc still no joy .
The dealers and I shall name them at the end of this have had the car back 4 times and each time assuring me the fault has been rectified only to find that its not had other faults show up too with dab radio then lights failing to switch off also the FCW slamming on the brakes so hard it was like being running into a wall. Had it back in now coz the charge said 30% and 50 miles range left and the car cut out to crawler mode every time that I tried to accelerate gently away from lights and at roundabouts etc .
Has anyone had these problems and were they fixed , I'm at my wits end with this car its not fit for purpose but the dealer wont correct these faults and keep blanking me saying there's nothing wrong btw they are called CHAPELHOUSE .

HELP

Last edited by a moderator:
Arty, I've moved your post into this thread because I think you have the problem that's being described here and people can help you. There is a fix. If it's not the same thing we can disentangle it or start a new thread, but I think it is.

I own a 23 plate MG4 standard range have had it since Mar '23, up until Sept never needed to use the AC fast charge, but when I did it failed to communicate (its words not mine at several pod points so then I tried quite a few more fast chargers Instavolt BP etc still no joy .
The dealers and I shall name them at the end of this have had the car back 4 times and each time assuring me the fault has been rectified only to find that its not had other faults show up too with dab radio then lights failing to switch off also the FCW slamming on the brakes so hard it was like being running into a wall. Had it back in now coz the charge said 30% and 50 miles range left and the car cut out to crawler mode every time that I tried to accelerate gently away from lights and at roundabouts etc .
Has anyone had these problems and were they fixed , I'm at my wits end with this car its not fit for purpose but the dealer wont correct these faults and keep blanking me saying there's nothing wrong btw they are called CHAPELHOUSE .

HELP
Try a different dealer. You have Holdcroft MG in Warrington or a bit further away Chorley Group in Chorley.

Arty, I've moved your post into this thread because I think you have the problem that's being described here and people can help you. There is a fix. If it's not the same thing we can disentangle it or start a new thread, but I think it is.
Unfortunatly for me this is not a "zappy" problem , I believe it is the battery and its software thats faulty each time the upgrade ( if they did) it resets to factory settings again ! As I stated the dealership are only interested in selling you a car after that your on your own .

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 519 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back