I had the same problem a couple of months ago, CCU was replaced under warranty.
Thanks for this Bawbag. I'll be giving my dealer another ring tomorrow to get it booked back in and I'll mention this thread to them. I think I've got enough evidence that there is an issue. Id rather not have to worry if my car will be charged when I wake up for work. It's a bit of a frustration to be honest.

How are you setting the 80% restriction? I can’t see anything in the Zappi manual that allows you to add a percentage. The only feature mentioned is the ability to use Smart Boost to add a certain number of kWh by a certain time. which provider/tarrif are you on?
You are correct. Nothing to do with Zappi at all. It will just pump in power until the car says stop or the timer expires. The car is deciding when to stop.. SoC % are moving targets. Same thing happens with solar/house batteries.

The Zappi connection to the car is CCS and there is no data interchange so the Zappi knows nothing about the car's battery level.

I had the same problem a couple of months ago, CCU was replaced under warranty.
Was it also just the AC side of charging you were having trouble with? Sorry, what does CCU stand for? Is it charge control unit?

Was it also just the AC side of charging you were having trouble with? Sorry, what does CCU stand for? Is it charge control unit?
Yep it was only AC, DC charging doesn’t go through the CCU. Mine logged a couple of codes when it failed to charge (think one was P1EAF), clearing them made no difference because they just came straight back when the next charge failed.

The dealer was in no doubt there was a problem because they couldn’t even get it to charge more than 1 or 2% at a time so they raised a case with MG. Tried a few updates first which didn’t work then ordered a new CCU.

Yep it was only AC, DC charging doesn’t go through the CCU. Mine logged a couple of codes when it failed to charge (think one was P1EAF), clearing them made no difference because they just came straight back when the next charge failed.

The dealer was in no doubt there was a problem because they couldn’t even get it to charge more than 1 or 2% at a time so they raised a case with MG. Tried a few updates first which didn’t work then ordered a new CCU.
Thanks for explaining it in more detail. I shall pass on that information to my dealer, because it sounds an awful lot like the problem I’m experiencing with the car.

That's for this Bawbag. I've just rang my local dealer again regarding this issue and I'm booked in for 30th November. I'm slightly concerned about what the woman on the phone said to me. Regarding if no error codes come up and they can't replicate the issue then there isn't anything they can do. If I end up in that situation I can see me kicking off... I've got logs from my zappi and some screenshots from the app that show charge percentage at the points where it stopped charging so I'm hoping that's enough.

When I go next Thursday I'll mention that error code to them.

Thanks for explaining it in more detail. I shall pass on that information to my dealer, because it sounds an awful lot like the problem I’m experiencing with the car.
Mine got worse over time so eventually it would cut off after about 1%, that helped them diagnose it because they could repeat the problem pretty easily in the workshop. Have you got an OBD reader to see if it's stored any codes?

That's for this Bawbag. I've just rang my local dealer again regarding this issue and I'm booked in for 30th November. I'm slightly concerned about what the woman on the phone said to me. Regarding if no error codes come up and they can't replicate the issue then there isn't anything they can do. If I end up in that situation I can see me kicking off... I've got logs from my zappi and some screenshots from the app that show charge percentage at the points where it stopped charging so I'm hoping that's enough.

When I go next Thursday I'll mention that error code to them.
Pretty standard procedure to be honest, if they can't replicate the fault and there's no evidence of a fault in the logs then they can't do anything and MG won't authorise a warranty repair - they need some sort of proof of what the fault is before throwing parts at it.

In another thread it states that MG have a recall associated with CCU failures - presumably MG dealers should be aware of this:

Pretty standard procedure to be honest, if they can't replicate the fault and there's no evidence of a fault in the logs then they can't do anything and MG won't authorise a warranty repair - they need some sort of proof of what the fault is before throwing parts at it.
I'm hoping the screenshots I have will be enough evidence for them to see I have an issue. When it does actually charge, I've noticed it doesn't stay at 7kw the entire time, it undulates quite a bit which it didn't do before.

In another thread it states that MG have a recall associated with CCU failures - presumably MG dealers should be aware of this:

This is interesting, I'll bring this up with the service department when I drop my car off with them.

My Trophy LR has been in today with the exact same issue. They believed they had resolved it with a software update but sadly not, so it's got to go back in again. Symptoms are: It shows as charging for 1 minute (green lights) then stops but is still connected to the charger (blue lights), it repeats this another twice then I hear what sounds like the cable lock release and It goes to no lights and doesn't try again. I would be interested to know how you get on so I can pass the info to them when they look at it again.

Mine is still in. I have not been very impressed with the garage which is at York (Drive MG) with regards feedback. So far they still don't know what is wrong with it. I was told they are in contact with MG and trying solutions, the girl I talked to spoke about resistance issues, whatever that is supposed to entail, whilst the technician sorting it is off training today!
I'll keep you posted.

As an aside, does yours charge via DC like mine and does your charging set up at home include solar. Just asking because there is another thread here with similar issues and they are using solar within their home charging set up.

Mine got worse over time so eventually it would cut off after about 1%, that helped them diagnose it because they could repeat the problem pretty easily in the workshop. Have you got an OBD reader to see if it's stored any codes?
Mine seems to be getting progressively worse as well. I’m lucky if I can charge it with 7kWh before it switches off. No, I don’t have one of those devices.

Sounds the same as Zappi failing to charge car to 80%
ignore the Zappi content, the behaviour is the same, charging on AC for a few mins then stopping
Yeah, it sounds similar to the problem I’m experiencing. I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s the AC charging side of things which is at fault. I’ve tried my Zappi, Granny charger and a public slow AC charger and all have been unable to complete a charge properly, whereas I’ve been to a DC fast charger twice and it’s been fine. My car goes in on the 1st of December. It seems to be affecting a few members.

Mine is still in. I have not been very impressed with the garage which is at York (Drive MG) with regards feedback. So far they still don't know what is wrong with it. I was told they are in contact with MG and trying solutions, the girl I talked to spoke about resistance issues, whatever that is supposed to entail, whilst the technician sorting it is off training today!
I'll keep you posted.

As an aside, does yours charge via DC like mine and does your charging set up at home include solar. Just asking because there is another thread here with similar issues and they are using solar within their home charging set up.
It charges fine on DC. I don't have a solar setup, just an Ohme home pro charger and the MG granny charger it came with. Tried it on a public AC charger withe the same result.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back