A few more tests - I managed to go from 72%-78% then it stopped again. Then 78%-80% limit and it seemed to properly balance the pack, saw what I'd expect.

Over the weekend I'll test DC charging out.
Sorry to hear it, but it sounds like you are experiencing the early stages of this issue, as that’s how mine started out. DC still works absolutely fine, apart from the effect on my wallet. 😅

I tested the car one more time on an Easee slow charger (6.2kW) at work today and it lasted 13 minutes and then stopped the charge. I pushed start charge two more times on the infotainment screen and they lasted mere seconds and then the charge port unlocked. That’s four different slow chargers which have not worked, so pretty conclusive. The car is booked in for the 27th and I hope to hear a new CCU is being ordered.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the exact same issue described here. AC charging has gotten progressively worse to the point it now stops only after a minute or two. The issues started last week or so. Tested with the supplied emergency charger and on my Easee charger with two different cables. No schedules or limiting charging settings have been set in the car/app or charger app. Haven't contacted the dealership yet, but I will do so tomorrow after I've confirmed DC charging is still working. I sure hope DC still works, because if not I don't know if I can get my car to the workshop on the remaining charge 😆

Have anyone had luck starting off the conversation with claiming it's a known CCU fault? I don't want this to be a drawn out back and forth, in and out sort of ordeal. Just to have them finally admit it's a hardware fault. Let's just get on with it...

Have anyone had luck starting off the conversation with claiming it's a known CCU fault? I don't want this to be a drawn out back and forth, in and out sort of ordeal. Just to have them finally admit it's a hardware fault. Let's just get on with it...
I wrote all of this down and also explained the issue to the dealership, but they can only follow what MG headquarters advises them to do, which was to perform software updates. All I can say is, impress upon your dealer that the car needs a thorough AC charging test after the updates to check whether or not it’s working normally. Just testing AC charging for a few minutes after installing the updates is not enough. You need to see it slow charging for at least an hour or more if not a full 100% charge.

Remind me. When this fault is present, will the car charge on a granny charger?
When I did my testing on the granny charger it lasted for about thirty minutes and it wasn’t a consistent charge. It delayed the charge a few times and then finally stopped, resulting in a measly amount being put in.

Hi am having issues with charging my mg4 LR. I plug it in with my Easee and after 10mins the car stops charging. I use my 3 pin and it switches off after 30mins.

And a fault pops up say HV battery fault.

Can anybody advise ?

Ignore the thread title ... you seem to have the same problem:

I've merged the threads - it's obviously the same issue.

How come this has only just started to happen, in cars that were fine before? I'm baffled.
Yeah, the car charged perfectly fine for the first seven months. As soon as I know more information I’ll pass it on.

Hi am having issues with charging my mg4 LR. I plug it in with my Easee and after 10mins it’s the car stops charging.i use my 3 pin and it switchers off after 30mins

And a fault pops up say HV battery fault .

Can any body advise ?
It looks like you have the same issue I and other members are having in this thread, which is the car being unable to AC slow charge normally. DC rapid charging works fine. I recommend reading through this thread, so as to know what to report to your service department. Make sure a proper AC slow charge test is done after any software updates are performed.

Confirmed DC is working fine, but AC stops after a few minutes no matter the type of AC charger.

Yes, it's strange that we are starting to see so many cases of this particular issue in the same time period. I haven't heard of this before.

Might be a good idea to change the thread title and share information about our cases. I'll start:

MG4 Luxury 64kWh
2022 model
Collected March 2023
Norway (about 0°C +-5°)
Anything else worth sharing?

Confirmed DC is working fine, but AC stops after a few minutes no matter the type of AC charger.

Yes, it's strange that we are starting to see so many cases of this particular issue in the same time period. I haven't heard of this before.

Might be a good idea to change the thread title and share information about our cases. I'll start:

MG4 Luxury 64kw
Collected March 2023
Norway (about 0°c +-5)
Anything else worth sharing?
Exactly the same situation I’m in at the moment with AC charging. I’ve updated the thread title to include the problem with AC charging in general.

MG4 SE Long Range.
Collected in March, 2023.

Zappi 7.2kW AC charging: 5 minutes with two delays, then says complete.
Granny charger: 30 minutes with several delays, then stops completely.
Evolt Chargeplace Scotland public 7kW AC charging: 9 minutes with three stoppages and finally unlocks the charging cable.
Easee 6.2kW slow public AC charging: 13 minutes with a few delays and finally unlocks charging cable.

Osprey 50kW rapid DC charger: charged perfectly normally.
Evolt 50kW rapid DC charger: charged perfectly normally.

Ok, mine is:

MG4 Trophy 64kWh
March 2023 collection (November 2022 build), Phase 1
11kW onboard charger with the 3 phase pins.

DC charging I have just tested and it is working fine, the problem is only on AC.

I'm going to test some more AC chargers over the next couple of days and then go to the garage - given their busyness and the fact that I will almost certainly be asked to try software updates first and we are holidaying abroad soonish, I don't expect to have this resolved until Feb-March but I will keep updates going here.

Not having read back through the thread ... is the issue (thus far) restricted to the LR battery cars?
So far it seems so, but I don't think we have enough examples to be certain.

Definitely the SR has a different onboard charger and it may even be a different make (I don't know). The rumours are of a bad batch of chargers that fail after 6-9 months (depending on usage).

I'm pretty sanguine about it - it is the first issue we've had and I can still use the car and I knew buying a newly launched car on a new platform there were likely to be teething issues.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel