Latest update on mine from today's visit. They said they've applied some more patches to it and it has improved somewhat but they're not happy leaving it like that, so they have kept the car in and raised a case with MG. I should get an update on next steps tomorrow. In their words they are convinced it's a software issue; well maybe so but I don't understand how a software issue suddenly manifests when no software patches have been applied to the car since it was delivered, unless MG are delivering some updates over the air.
It is just possible that it relates to bugs in how well the BMS can detect and manage the SoC while charging as the battery ages, which will change its characteristics.

But I agree it seems unlikely.

Even less likely that the software get into an inconsistent state after 6-9 months running - but I suppose possible, my charging lights stopped working a while ago.

So yes I am having the same problem, I have had issues with Zappi and Podpoint AC charging, starts charging then states it is complete, but I have tried ECO+, Boost, and Fast, suddenly it says Charge Complete (tick), I need this to work obviously as this is going to be a bit of a mare

This has only started in the last few days, so what the hell could have happened!?

We don't know the cause or the fix yet, but before you contact your garage it is worth:
  • Trying several different AC chargers.
  • Verifying that it still works fine on DC chargers.

Thinking further on this - it might be that they are using software updates to work around or mask a hardware issue, as a cheaper fix.

We don't know the cause or the fix yet, but before you contact your garage it is worth:
  • Trying several different AC chargers.
  • Verifying that it still works fine on DC chargers.

Thinking further on this - it might be that they are using software updates to work around or mask a hardware issue, as a cheaper fix.
This concerns me somewhat. I assume (hope) that by masking the error, if that's what the patch does, some catastrophic event would not happen.

As you mentioned earlier, if it's not a hardware issue then it must be the software reacting to unexpected input values from something, and the battery SOC would seem likely. What is odd though it that it seems to follow a fairly rapid degradation, going from charging properly to not at all in the space of a couple of days.

I've had no word from them on mine yet, it's still in the garage, but I'm happy for them to hold onto it for a while if it helps to sort the problem out.

So yes I am having the same problem, I have had issues with Zappi and Podpoint AC charging, starts charging then states it is complete, but I have tried ECO+, Boost, and Fast, suddenly it says Charge Complete (tick), I need this to work obviously as this is going to be a bit of a mare

This has only started in the last few days, so what the hell could have happened!?
Small consolation but this problem has been around for a month or so now so hopefully it will be resolved soon.

In response to the above (check using different chargers). So I have used my Zappi and Podpoint on the AC side of things, I have since checked it on DC and that was OK, charged at just over 40 kw for most of the charge. So, car booked into garage, long wait, time will tell !!!

In response to the above (check using different chargers). So I have used my Zappi and Podpoint on the AC side of things, I have since checked it on DC and that was OK, charged at just over 40 kw for most of the charge. So, car booked into garage, long wait, time will tell !!!
Keep us updated, I face a very long wait before mine will be looked at, with xmas, going on holiday and busy garage.

I had this exact issue this weekend with my Hive (Alfen) charger. Charged fine Friday night, drove to pick child 2 up from Warwick Uni. Did a quick DC charge before heading home - all good. Put the car back on charge at home on Sunday morning set to 60% and it stopped at 43%. Tried again, stopped again. Third time finally got there. Mine is in the garage next week, will mention it to them (not much hope though).
Quick update on mine - its been absolutely fine on multiple chargers at work (11kW and granny) so its either my charger / type 2 cable or intermittent. I will still be mentioning it to the garage next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the outcome on mine is that a replacement component has been ordered. The service team had tried every patch MG provided with no improvement so determined that it must be a hardware issue.
When they fit it, it would be really useful if you could get them to explain exactly which component they have changed.

When they fit it, it would be really useful if you could get them to explain exactly which component they have changed.
I believe 'combined charger unit' is what's being replaced. It will be early Jan but I've got the car back as it's fine on DC

Given that DC charging still works, they must be replacing the on board charger unit, as that's the one responsible for AC charging, whereas DC charging would pretty much bypass the OBC.

Out of curiosity, did anyone have this issue in the past and was sorted by replacing the OBC? how long was the wait for the replacement unit?

I believe 'combined charger unit' is what's being replaced. It will be early Jan but I've got the car back as it's fine on DC
Ah the CCU, yes that is the AC to DC converter that is being replaced - this is the part that some others have had replaced to fix this issue.

So it is on Fast Charge, it must be on this as I keep selecting 'start charge' on the car and it charges for about 30 secs to a minute then it completes early. I just keep doing this atm as it's cheaper than public DC charging and DC charge when I need to top up quicker. Bit annoying though, booked in mid Jan :(

The updated App is just as crap as the previous, keeps asking to log-in after login token expired, surely they could do a better job than this, very clucky

Update - car has been in with MG Stockport today.
Good news - they replicated the fault and at least have recognised it exists and needs sorting.
Bad news - they want to keep car longer to do more “technical” tests.
So basically I don’t think they have a clue but I was dreading them saying “we can’t find a fault” and trying to fob me off

Update - car has been in with MG Stockport today.
Good news - they replicated the fault and at least have recognised it exists and needs sorting.
Bad news - they want to keep car longer to do more “technical” tests.
So basically I don’t think they have a clue but I was dreading them saying “we can’t find a fault” and trying to fob me off
That is at least a step forward. I’m guessing when my car was in the first time it wasn’t left to charge for long enough to show a fault.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back