So I picked mine up yesterday, they admitted they couldn’t fix it and were waiting on technical support as it has been logged as an issue - hopefully the more people that get the cars into the garage the sooner they will resolve. So for now I’m just having to charge via DC
Mine has behaved itself (so far) on several different charges, so I am deluding myself its a one-off and will be fine
200.gif

So I picked mine up yesterday, they admitted they couldn’t fix it and were waiting on technical support as it has been logged as an issue - hopefully the more people that get the cars into the garage the sooner they will resolve. So for now I’m just having to charge via DC
Yep, on the Podcast Miles said that they hadn't seen this yet, so for most dealers it will be a new issue that they are not familiar with.

For those members who charge their MG4s with a Zappi, has this ever happened to you? The first time it happened was on Sunday. I’d set the car to charge to 80% from something like 45% and let it do its thing. Around the time I expected it to have finished I checked the Zappi app and found it had finished earlier than expected. It had actually stopped charging at 74%. I thought that was odd and then started the Zappi again to finish the charge to 80%, but again it stopped at 76%. Okay, this is not normal. A third attempt got the car charging and balancing to 80%. 🤔

I plugged it in this evening to charge the car from 67% to 80% and the Zappi stopped at 78%. The second attempt got it charging and balancing to 80%. I’ve updated the Zappi firmware, just in case that’s the issue, but I’m perplexed as to what could be the cause of this. Any ideas guys? Could it be the car, or is there something I’m not doing correctly? Any help is appreciated. I haven’t had any problems in the last seven months of charging until last Sunday.
It's not your zappi it's the car there are several cars with the bigger battery se and trophy ( including mine) with 11kW on board chargers which are failing to charge for more than a few minutes on AC before the car stops the charge. DC charging is unaffected . MG might be on the case but have not been very supportive of the dealer up to now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately mine seems to have also started this behaviour this week.
MG4 Trophy
Registered March 23 (phase 1)
Charger Zappi v2.1, event log shows the charge is being stopped by the car (‘charge delayed’)

Just a wee update. That’s the car back at the dealership. I was given a brand new ZS EV as a courtesy car, which I enjoyed driving, though was surprised at the lack of range (compared to my MG4), it being the smaller battery model. Anyway, I got the ZS home with 62% charge and am pleased to say the Zappi worked normally and charged it up to 100% without any delays or stoppages. So, we can rule out any fault with the Zappi.

IMG_6924.png

Ok, so Foxy went in to the garage this morning. They have had several cars doing the same AC charging issue and some were sorted with software updates some with hardware.

We had a long list of software updates applied (they will send me the details separately).

Unfortunately when they re-tested the car the updates did not fix the issue. So they have raised a technical case with MG and we should hear more in a couple of days.

We have the car back in the meantime. I'll keep you all updated.

The service experience was extremely good, friendly, gave us coffee, no charge for courtesy car (MG3) or petrol, no attempt to sell us anything, I got to speak to the technician who worked on our car.

Ok, so Foxy went in to the garage this morning. They have had several cars doing the same AC charging issue and some were sorted with software updates some with hardware.

We had a long list of software updates applied (they will send me the details separately).

Unfortunately when they re-tested the car the updates did not fix the issue. So they have raised a technical case with MG and we should hear more in a couple of days.

We have the car back in the meantime. I'll keep you all updated.

The service experience was extremely good, friendly, gave us coffee, no charge for courtesy car (MG3) or petrol, no attempt to sell us anything, I got to speak to technician who worked on our car.
Thanks for letting us know your current situation, @tsedge It would seem ours is a hardware issue, as the software updates have been unable to fix the cars. Anyway, it sounds like they’re doing everything they can to get you back up and running on AC. Out of interest, how did you find the MG3?

Thanks for letting us know your current situation, @tsedge It would seem ours is a hardware issue, as the software updates have been unable to fix the cars. Anyway, it sounds like they’re doing everything they can to get you back up and running on AC. Out of interest, how did you find the MG3?
I'd like the MG3 if it was electric - it would make a great second car but the petrol manual wasn't great, lumpy and unhappy when cold.

I'd like the MG3 if it was electric - it would make a great second car but the petrol manual wasn't great, lumpy and unhappy when cold.
Yeah, I wonder if MG plans to electrify the model at some point, but from the ground up.

Yeah, I wonder if MG plans to electrify the model at some point, but from the ground up.
I'm sure they will. But the economics of small electric cars are challenging.

I don't think it would need more than a 35kWh battery though, it is a small light thing.

I'm sure they will. But the economics of small electric cars are challenging.

I don't think it would need more than a 35kWh battery though, it is a small light thing.
Next gen MG3 is a hybrid, electric version generation after that maybe?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 534 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back