Lane Assist Trying To Kill Me!

it must be a FAKE radar then because there is absolutely no requirement for the radar to work in conjunction with camera. Adaptive cruise control radars were fitted to cars way before the LKA cameras. So if MG needs both then they really have fitted the cheapest and nastiest system in the world

It's pretty standard to have radar and camera fused.
Most ACC systems use obstacle and lane information.
It will lower speed when approaching tight bends.
These systems also use lane assignment when predicting the relevant vehicle to follow.

Last edited:
Or, has as been mentioned before, activate "towing mode." for a more permanent solution, stays on until you disable it, keeps auto headlights but loses rear reversing sensors. Well in the SE LR edition.

Mine was supposedly updated Friday to fix this, and it hasn't. I'm just waiting for Motability to call back. Unimpressed with the dealer, mines being picked up by Derby MG and returned after inspection or software. It's perfectly safe to drive btw with the car blinded. Motability says you shouldn't have to keep switching it off. It's dangerous with the car doing what it wants. Today, I drove up the road it wanted to hedge bottom me and it didn't do the left jerk this time. It did try turning right further on tho. I took the car down the A42 and you can feel in the steering the car is trying to autonomously go in a straight line, even though there's no lane stray issue, it's putting higher turn resistance on the car. I also had to change lane due to a truck quickly and the thing wanted me in the truck! Back to stickering for now. If it does it again, motability will inspect it and reject it. It's too dangerous right now giving the car sight of the road. I quoted this forum and I said I'm not the only one either. There's others all struggling. To the point, they're trying to hack the car firmware so to permanantly switch it off.

it must be a FAKE radar then because there is absolutely no requirement for the radar to work in conjunction with camera. Adaptive cruise control radars were fitted to cars way before the LKA cameras. So if MG needs both then they really have fitted the cheapest and nastiest system in the world
Agreed, one of my golf’s is 10 years old and its ACC is entirely radar based. It works flawlessly in my option and extremely well judged. The MG one by comparison is trash.

As regards the debate about ACC and cameras, could it be that the MG uses the camera to decide which image to portray on the driver's screen and thus covering the camera upsets it?

As regards the debate about ACC and cameras, could it be that the MG uses the camera to decide which image to portray on the driver's screen and thus covering the camera upsets it?
When I initially covered the camera, at certain speeds the acc worked, then it stopped all of a sudden.

You don't have to cover up the camera. Towing mode will disable Front collision and LKA, and also the annoying reverse beeping. It will also remember it as long as you let the screens start up before driving

This feature is the worst of all the many unnecessary intrusive features on the MG 4 ev. I would echo the OP in that it is outright dangerous in very wet conditions where it appears to get confused by the vehicle in front's plough lines, and into direct sunlight ahead when the wheel throws left and right at random. It can be disabled, yes, but can only be done safely when stationary and the setting is lost every time the car is locked. Infuriating.

I've been driving around with tape over the camera for weeks now, no issues even adaptive cruise control as been fine. If you are really accurate and tape across the bottom I can get to to read speed signs but not the road lines,.occasionally it'll go off. But it's not been too bad completely taped to be fair.

No idea what the insurance company would say if you had an accident with an NCAP mandated "safety" feature disabled. Probably a lot. They'd say nothing if LKA
Put you through a fence though 🙄

I've been driving around with tape over the camera for weeks now, no issues even adaptive cruise control as been fine. If you are really accurate and tape across the bottom I can get to to read speed signs but not the road lines,.occasionally it'll go off. But it's not been too bad completely taped to be fair.

No idea what the insurance company would say if you had an accident with an NCAP mandated "safety" feature disabled. Probably a lot. They'd say nothing if LKA
All the features that you have disabled with the tape , can by pushing various electronic buttons be turned off anyway, ie, are sanctioned by NCAP and car manufacturers to be turned off. Indeed the manual says in certain conditions they should be disabled, all you have done is provide your own shortcut, so the insurance although it may be mentioned should not be an issue, depending on the severity of the bump, and your presence of mind, remove the tape as a first resort.:devilish:

We already have one LKA documented accident in the Norwegian Facebook group. The car was wrecked.

We already have one LKA documented accident in the Norwegian Facebook group. The car was wrecked.
I didn't realise that the accident had been proved to be caused by LKA, could you please supply the documented proof? It will help others if they have similar accidents caused by MG4 LKA system.

I didn't realise that the accident had been proved to be caused by LKA, could you please supply the documented proof? It will help others if they have similar accidents caused by MG4 LKA system.
I believe it was posted in another thread - there isn't proof in terms of a dashcam or with inside video showing the dash, just pictures of the aftermath and the account of the owner.

I expect it wouldn't stand up in court, would be claimed as driver error.

What is needed is thorough independent testing on really roads to highlight the issue.

You have to use Google translate from Norwegian to English, but he basically says that LKA pulled his steering wheel on a narrow road and wrecked his car. Guy was also sent to the hospital.

Attachments

• IMG_6606.png
    IMG_6606.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 51
I doubt any of this would standup with your Insurer or with MG as it is always
made clear that the Driver is ultimatly responsible.

That first picture looks odd. Unless the LKA spun the car it must have guided it through the gap between the signpost and the tree. But there are no tracks. The car seems to have gone a long way into the field assuming the driver braked hard and countered the LKA force when he realised the LKA was in error.

That first picture looks odd. Unless the LKA spun the car it must have guided it through the gap between the signpost and the tree. But there are no tracks. The car seems to have gone a long way into the field assuming the driver braked hard and countered the LKA force when he realised the LKA was in error.
There was more pictures in that FB thread with the clear visible marks of where the car went off. It was not in a corner, pretty straight low-quality narrow backroad.

Having read this thread throughly, I have two questions:

1) Does anyone know what the demonstration mode visible in one of the PIN protected engineering screens does? (Reference OP).

2) Could the motor or actuator that pulls the steering wheel be either unplugged or the appropriate actuator fuse removed to stop LKA affecting the steering?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back