Not really, battery heating is intended to warm the pack before taking on a rapid charge on the move.
When the battery is heated, it allows faster charging times.
Or that’s the idea 💡.
Wrong, it makes the main battery more efficient at charge transfer that means it provides a more effiecient power to the motor, so you get more Km/hr from the battery, so YES, it is definitely something you should be using before any trip in cold weather. When the car is switched off, the 12V battery supplies the power to heat up the battery. For longer journeys, you may want to put the battery heater on while driving BUT do this when the car is stopped BECAUSE you need to see the AMP draw from the main battery. If there is a 10A or more draw from the main battery when you turn on the battery heater, turn it off again, if not leave it on. Keep checking as you drive. My Km/hr went from 2.5 to 3.8 in cold weather when I found the battery heater and started using it. If you do a lot of miles this translates into MONEY!!!

If you want to complain in person, the app gives an email address, which I have already used to complain about the missing schedule battery heater.

[email protected]

If we keep complaining using the app AND the email, we may get listened to eventually. Possibly. Maybe. Who knows.

Still can’t login
I’ve emailed support no answer
Tells me the email is registered and the password is ok but the login bit won’t work for me.
If it ain’t broke MG

Maybe different for the ZS, I have an MG4
I’ve got an MG4 my22
Who else is having snags on the updated app and do you have MG4s?

Wrong, it makes the main battery more efficient at charge transfer that means it provides a more effiecient power to the motor, so you get more Km/hr from the battery, so YES, it is definitely something you should be using before any trip in cold weather. When the car is switched off, the 12V battery supplies the power to heat up the battery. For longer journeys, you may want to put the battery heater on while driving BUT do this when the car is stopped BECAUSE you need to see the AMP draw from the main battery. If there is a 10A or more draw from the main battery when you turn on the battery heater, turn it off again, if not leave it on. Keep checking as you drive. My Km/hr went from 2.5 to 3.8 in cold weather when I found the battery heater and started using it. If you do a lot of miles this translates into MONEY!!!

If you want to complain in person, the app gives an email address, which I have already used to complain about the missing schedule battery heater.

[email protected]

If we keep complaining using the app AND the email, we may get listened to eventually. Possibly. Maybe. Who knows.
The last time I checked the service manual says that the HVAC and battery heater draw power from the HV battery only. The 12v battery is not used except for switching it on/off

Still can’t login
I’ve emailed support no answer
Tells me the email is registered and the password is ok but the login bit won’t work for me.
If it ain’t broke MG
Try resetting the password anyway. I did so just in case of a data breach during the update seeing as someone on here as somehow managed to bind a different car to their account (how that happened is impossible to know without asking MG)
Beware some characters are not allowed (the @ symbol for instance)

[email protected]

You sound quite sure of yourself but my experience is quite different. When the intelligent battery heater is turned on, my range is about 40% less! The battery heating draws so much power that it negates any benefit in "transferring power more efficiently" - and in my experience, by miles.

In colder weather I use the heater to warm the battery about 15 mins before I arrive at a fast charger or maybe to pre-heat the battery before a long journey, but only when connected to a charger. Otherwise, it's a waste of my SOC.

I also can't imagine the heater being drawn from the 12v battery, that little thing can't possibly deliver enough power to heat the battery and it should come from the HV battery.

Digital Key on new version. Yes or no for SE SR?
Mine isn’t working but I can’t remember if SE SR has this facility or not.

You sound quite sure of yourself but my experience is quite different. When the intelligent battery heater is turned on, my range is about 40% less! The battery heating draws so much power that it negates any benefit in "transferring power more efficiently" - and in my experience, by miles.

In colder weather I use the heater to warm the battery about 15 mins before I arrive at a fast charger or maybe to pre-heat the battery before a long journey, but only when connected to a charger. Otherwise, it's a waste of my SOC.

I also can't imagine the heater being drawn from the 12v battery, that little thing can't possibly deliver enough power to heat the battery and it should come from the HV battery.
I’m not happy and I’m not getting answers anywhere
The app won’t let me in
The radio has righted itself and why can I only get the following on full charge? Going off this car rapidly

Mines SE SR Digutal key works
When i can get in to app I’ll let you know if still works

Attachments

• IMG_1933.png
    IMG_1933.png
    281.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1889.png
    IMG_1889.png
    282.8 KB · Views: 50
It works on mine

The app won’t let me in
The radio has righted itself and why can I only get the following on full charge? Going off this car rapidly
But that’s the old app? Sorry but what does the range in the actual car say? Can you take a picture of your accumulated mileage and average consumption?

But that’s the old app?
That’s the old app which won’t change anything about charging
I meant to post last week but I’m all over the country (not in car) atm never still for five mins til next Friday so I forgot lol

Mine failed - couldnt log in - so I wrote to the developers as I assume others did. There was a further update this morning that fixed log in issues
I emailed developers yday and still can’t log in

But that’s the old app? Sorry but what does the range in the actual car say? Can you take a picture of your accumulated mileage and average consumption?

Did you reset the password?
Tried
Send
Nothing comes through

Is that from the car yeh coz obvs I can’t get into app see

It means that’s not the email or phone number you used. Did you try login using phone number or email?
Ok I tried with phone
Says not registered
Tried with email says registered but won’t let me log in
Thought oh I’ve forgotten password so tried change password but waiting after send two days
Tried again
Nothing

The app won’t let me in
Have you tried turning off the intelligent battery heater? This is not in the app but if you click on the battery status in the car itself. I think it's a toggle option somewhere quite hidden, possibly on the scheduled charging tab.

Picture of car always better
I’m asking is it the pic of the screen inside the car not a pic of info from the app coz I can’t get into the app

Have you tried turning off the intelligent battery heater? This is not in the app but if you click on the battery status in the car itself. I think it's a toggle option somewhere quite hidden, possibly on the scheduled charging tab.
Never been able find it tbh

This?

I’ve gtg now but I’ll take up to date pics and come on here later and ask for help and advice I haven’t got time now 😞

Attachments

• IMG_1890.png
    IMG_1890.png
    272.7 KB · Views: 52
Ok I tried with phone
Says not registered
Tried with email says registered but won’t let me log in
Thought oh I’ve forgotten password so tried change password but waiting after send two days
Tried again
Nothing
And it’s not in your spam folder?
The email comes from soimt.com

Wrong, it makes the main battery more efficient at charge transfer that means it provides a more effiecient power to the motor, so you get more Km/hr from the battery, so YES, it is definitely something you should be using before any trip in cold weather
It is worth noting that using the battery heater / cabin heater consumes a lot of energy already stored in the pack, unless you are hooked up to a A/C supply to help back fill the loss from the pack.
I always carry out charging on the cheap 5p off peak rate, to a SOC that suits the journey I am about to make.
If I then preheat the cabin & traction battery while still connected to the wall box, then I am consuming power at a much higher daily rate of 40p which defeats the object TBH.
If required, I will just preheat the cabin for 10 minutes using the cheap rate stored energy from the pack.
Some loss of range for sure, but I build this into the level of SOC that I require and it is way less expensive.
If it is extremely cold and you preheat the pack from home, then as you travel the pack temperature is going to drop quickly regardless.
Of course this will differ from person to person and their individual usage patterns / circumstances.
But purely on a personal basis, I don’t find any advantages of using the battery heater myself.
Preheating the pack in cold conditions just before carrying out a D/C rapid charge, should give you a faster charging rate, if time is really that important to you as a person who covers a lot of miles.
But if you are running low on range, this may not be a great idea as heating the pack from the traction pack will have a negative on your remaining range, just like using the cabin heater would.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back