MG ZS EV Facelift - Have you ordered?

Update... I have received an email from the dealer sales manger tonight advising they failed to process my order in time and I need to agree to the increased quotation for the order to be processed. So my MG ownership experience has failed before it even started. Well done Budgen Motors......

( Sorry to vent on here about a poor dealer experience, hopefully someone reading the above may be able to assist. )
I can't help with claiming a grant now that the deadline has passed, but I'd be keen to see if we can offer any cheaper quotes to try to keep you on track with an MG. Can you email me with your requirements to [email protected] and I'll see what options we have available.

Update... I have received an email from the dealer sales manger tonight advising they failed to process my order in time and I need to agree to the increased quotation for the order to be processed. So my MG ownership experience has failed before it even started. Well done Budgen Motors......

( Sorry to vent on here about a poor dealer experience, hopefully someone reading the above may be able to assist. )
JAVMan
I'd get advice on this, I think that you are in a strong legal position

We once had a bespoke holiday booked, we realised that they had missed out some elements, they tried to get more money out of us after the deposit was paid. Saying exactly the same thing as you, "pay more or cancel"
We spoke to citizens advice, they said that as it is a signed contract, the problem is with the dealer, YOU should not cancel, if the dealer chooses to cancel. You need to advise them that you can pursue them for a "loss of bargain claim". Which means that if you have to pay more elsewhere, they would have to fund the difference

The key thing is that you do not cancel and you tell them that you do not accept the change to contract. Advise them that if they cancel and your resulting order costs more, then you will raise a loss of bargain claim

Edit - that was about 18 years ago, worth checking if that advice is still valid

Last edited:
JAVMan

We once had a bespoke holiday booked, we realised that they had missed out some elements, they tried to get more money out of us after the deposit was paid. Saying exactly the same thing as you, "pay more or cancel"
We spoke to citizens advice, they said that as it is a signed contract, the problem is with the dealer, YOU should not cancel, if the dealer chooses to cancel. You need to advise them that you can pursue them for a "loss of bargain claim". Which means that if you have to pay more elsewhere, they would have to fund the difference

The key thing is that you do not cancel and you tell them that you do not accept the change to contract. Advise them that if they cancel and your resulting order costs more, then you will raise a loss of bargain claim

Edit - that was about 18 years ago, worth checking if that advice is still valid
Absolutely spot on advice!

I know it requires some inconvenience, but you are in a very good position. They may even agree to do better to compensate for your time and effort.

If you look in the bottom right corner of their advert picture (snipped off on this screenshot), it says they are Standard Range (51kWh) ZS EV, not the Long Range.

Chorley Group have also been allocated 2x SR SE and 2x SR Trophy ZS EV this week. Unfortunately, no sign of the LR orders yet!
I've got a LR Trophy on order with Chorley... Any chance of swapping to a SR but keeping the £2500 PicG from my original order? 🤔🧐

JAVMan

By the same token the dealer has a good claim that the government changing the rules with so little warning has "frustrated" (in the legal contract sense) their ability to supply the vehicle under the terms agreed.

If the order was placed in good enough time for the dealer to apply for the grant and they did NOT !.
Then the dealer has been negligent and are looking to pass on their negligence onto the customer !.
They have to “Suck It Up” not play pass the parcel.
Question - Why did they NOT apply for the grant, they had the time ?.
They are trying to make their problem, your problem !.

If the order was placed in good enough time for the dealer to apply for the grant and they did NOT !.
Then the dealer has been negligent and are looking to pass on their negligence onto the customer !.
They have to “Suck It Up” not play pass the parcel.
Question - Why did they NOT apply for the grant, they had the time ?.
They are trying to make their problem, your problem !.

I think this almost happened to me too!

A few days after the gov't grant announcement, I got a text message from the dealer saying I needed to sign a new order form, and that all the details of the order remained unchanged (deposit, px, total price etc) - I originally ordered on the 4th Dec, so a couple of weeks before the grant change - When I asked why, I was told it was to do with the gov't grant, but they wouldn't elaborate further.

So if that's the case, this dealer would have STILL had time to apply for the grant for this order. Sounds like total negligence to me.

I think this almost happened to me too!

A few days after the gov't grant announcement, I got a text message from the dealer saying I needed to sign a new order form, and that all the details of the order remained unchanged (deposit, px, total price etc) - I originally ordered on the 4th Dec, so a couple of weeks before the grant change - When I asked why, I was told it was to do with the gov't grant, but they wouldn't elaborate further.

So if that's the case, this dealer would have STILL had time to apply for the grant for this order. Sounds like total negligence to me.

Ordered mine 4th Dec also was asked to sigh a paper two weeks ago to confirm ordered on the 4th which I did have not heard anything since 🤷‍♂️

I've got a LR Trophy on order with Chorley... Any chance of swapping to a SR but keeping the £2500 PicG from my original order? 🤔🧐
No, the grant is locked to the vehicle model. So the change from LR to SR would lose the £2500 grant, and we'd have to reapply for the £1500 grant instead.

Javman Surely they will have to take the hit as it was there mistake and not yours.

JAVMan

Does that mean taking them to court? Won't that get drawn out and there's a chance you'll lose and have to pay court fee and suck up the loss?

Small claims court
I went small claims court to recover £80 paid for an event that got cancelled with no refund.

I initially put in a claim that didn't cost much, but once I had received the initial judgement, I was then only given the option of paying out over £100 to recover the money via bailief... Obviously I didn't bother.

Hi all, new on here. After a bit of research I've plumped for the Trophy after comparing with KIA and Hyundai offerings.
I'm totally new to the EV cars and decided my C3 is coming to end of its shelf life after over 183,000 miles!!
Got a very good price from the local dealership after quoting what I had been offered after I chased up an advert on auto trader.
Got a Trophy one in blue ordered, only able to test drive the older one as the long range had only arrived yesterday.
Slightly surprised it doesn't come with a type 2 cable, but fair play to the salesman he suggested I could get one myself far cheaper than the branded mg one from them.
Hi Mike, I have just called my supplying dealer, (as their website is showing stock), to be told that the vehicle showing has been sold & they are now expecting the next stock in June! By time they register, pdi etc guess it will be mid June. Seriously thinking about cancelling the order & going for another brand ex demo or used EV. I placed my order 9/11/21, order form states delivery Jan 2022, pushed back to Feb/March & now June. I hate the uncertainty & admittedly I am not the most patient of people.

Hi Mike, I have just called my supplying dealer, (as their website is showing stock), to be told that the vehicle showing has been sold & they are now expecting the next stock in June! By time they register, pdi etc guess it will be mid June. Seriously thinking about cancelling the order & going for another brand ex demo or used EV. I placed my order 9/11/21, order form states delivery Jan 2022, pushed back to Feb/March & now June. I hate the uncertainty & admittedly I am not the most patient of people.

Not good at all. Which dealer did you order from?

Seriously thinking about cancelling the order & going for another brand
A friend of mine has just placed an order for a Audi A1 - Nothing to special, mid level spec.
She has been told September for delivery.
No wonder the price of used cars is so high !!!.

Last edited:
I imagine it's the same for all new cars. Shortage of chips, my dealer told SAIC are now starting to make thier own.

I DO have the Trophy model under some serious consideration.
I have the previous ZS EV Exclusive in Dynamic Red.
I want to retain the the features of the Exclusive ( Pan Roof etc ) and I have seen the ICE model face lift model finished in Battersea blue, and my wife is very taken by this colour.
This helps with justifying the sale our previous model of course !.
The iconnect is a feature that I am very unlikely to use, to be totally honest.
Delivery dates are EXPECTED to be around March 2022.
But thoughts are suggesting around mid to late January 2022 for some early ordering customers.
I am not really interested in the new number plate released in March.
I stopped chasing that rainbow many years ago, when I purchased a low cost private plate.
A car purchased in Jan 2022 and March 2022 have little affect on the value at the time of sale.
Only the public buys cars on their number plate ident.
Dealers will mainly value a car on it's first date of registration and not on the plate number / year ident.
Also changing my blue Zs ev exclusive for a blue trophy. Delivery not expected until April.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom