Here's the full year EV sales figures for Australia:

Screen Shot 2024-01-05 at 6.38.48 pm.png

Year on year change:

Screen Shot 2024-01-06 at 6.26.22 am.png

Link:

And for comparison, top 10 light vehicle sales (2022 in grey):

Screen Shot 2024-01-06 at 6.29.46 am.png

Link:

Not bad when you consider that's less than 2 quarters of sales for the MG4. :)

And no surprise that Aussies prefer "Utes" and their like. 😁

I can understand Tradies requiring Utes and also those living in the regions and everyone with some land from a couple of acres and up. I don't understand urban dwellers who have a dual cab ute with a tray that can hold bugger all.

A single cab ute can generally carry up to a tonne but more importantly can carry a standard 2400 x 1200 sheet of ply, gyprok etc with the tailgate shut.

When there are some decent electric utes available these should suit a large percentage of tradies who spend all day at the building site or go from one job to another in the suburbs. They can run their power equipment from the V2L and charge all their power tools batteries on board. I'd assume that 400km real world range would be perfect for most.

Those American monsters are an abomination. I saw a Ram the other day with a 200 litre extra fuel tank behind the cab making the tray virtually useless for carrying decent loads. It also took up 1 1/2 car parking spaces.

And another thing, ICE cars and SUVs seem to be competing for the largest and ugliest grille. Many are diesel powered and they have thrown the drag coefficient out the window.

Of course Australia still does not have any engine emission standards so we get the dirtiest cars in the world. Only Mexico and Russia are worse. This is changing but not till December 2025. Pathetic.

I can understand Tradies requiring Utes and also those living in the regions and everyone with some land from a couple of acres and up. I don't understand urban dwellers who have a dual cab ute with a tray that can hold bugger all.
Yep. Amazingly they dominate city sales by a large margin. They can't all be tradies. Those RAMs are awful.

A single cab ute
We could use a small ute but they stopped making them a long time ago. Honestly just need to take our waste to the waste collection centre (no pickup here), collect fuel for the mower and other equipment and pickup the odd load small load of mulch or soil. I'm using the old Golf as a defacto ute but I especially hate the short round trip to fill the jerry cans.

A trailer would do the latter but is a PITA for the regular jobs.

A single cab ute can generally carry up to a tonne but more importantly can carry a standard 2400 x 1200 sheet of ply, gyprok etc with the tailgate shut.

When there are some decent electric utes available these should suit a large percentage of tradies who spend all day at the building site or go from one job to another in the suburbs. They can run their power equipment from the V2L and charge all their power tools batteries on board. I'd assume that 400km real world range would be perfect for most.

Those American monsters are an abomination. I saw a Ram the other day with a 200 litre extra fuel tank behind the cab making the tray virtually useless for carrying decent loads. It also took up 1 1/2 car parking spaces.

And another thing, ICE cars and SUVs seem to be competing for the largest and ugliest grille. Many are diesel powered and they have thrown the drag coefficient out the window.

Of course Australia still does not have any engine emission standards so we get the dirtiest cars in the world. Only Mexico and Russia are worse. This is changing but not till December 2025. Pathetic.
The problem is people do not understand the GVM and GCM some utes can’t carry the weight sales people have told them when towing trailers some are very overloaded that’s the Gross Combined Mass truck and trailer combined p.

Has anyone in Australia talked to their dealer lately about the undertray drooping?

I heard they've got a fix in the UK now, mines started to look more like a scoop so will need to be addressed soon.

Has anyone in Australia talked to their dealer lately about the undertray drooping?

I heard they've got a fix in the UK now, mines started to look more like a scoop so will need to be addressed soon.
Good reminder. I'll get on to the MG dealership next week. Mine has been a scoop for some time. I wrote to MG Australia & said I was lodging a warranty claim after I took the car in I reckon about 6 weeks ago & was told they were on to it & would advise a resolution in due course.

There is no "fix" ... the replacement undertray is no better than the original (from what I've read). It's all a matter of dimensional tolerances, and how carefully it is fitted. (I complained about mine on collection - over a year ago - and when the car next went in for a software recall - about a year ago now - the technician carefully refitted the undertray so that any bulge was minimised).

But there is a fix, MG put out a bulletin, AS-TEC-02112023-01. MG are supplying a bar and longer bolts. The bar goes over the plastic tray and clamps down the edge. Pic attached.
That is interesting. When I took my car back to the dealer on 4 December 2023 they only had an email from MG saying the issue was known and a solution was being developed and not to replace any parts.

My assumption is that while the fix had been specified they did not yet have the parts and were probably waiting for these to be sent from SAIC in China to Australia.

That is interesting. When I took my car back to the dealer on 4 December 2023 they only had an email from MG saying the issue was known and a solution was being developed and not to replace any parts.

My assumption is that while the fix had been specified they did not yet have the parts and were probably waiting for these to be sent from SAIC in China to Australia.
My dealership didn't "know" about it either until I gave them the bulletin number and they looked it up. Just means they're not reading the bulletins or reading and it's not sinking in.

My dealership didn't "know" about it either until I gave them the bulletin number and they looked it up. Just means they're not reading the bulletins or reading and it's not sinking in.
Many thanks. I'll give Geoff King MG a call tomorrow. I have copied your post so can email them if they don't know. I am pretty sure they don't. When I lodged a warranty claim via email to MG Australia I did not even get a response which is poor but seems typical. At least I have the record of it.

I have been in contact with Geoff King MG and they did not know about the bulletin either. They rang me back an hour of so later to advise that the bracket was on order and will be here later in January so I have the car booked in for the part to be fitted on 31 January 2024.

So if you have not checked for distortion of the undertray on your MG4, I'd encourage you to do so and then if there is any distortion call the MG dealer and book in for the fix.

I posted it somewhere but can't remember where but here is a photo of the distortion on my car

Attachments

• 20231204_074055.jpg
    20231204_074055.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 82

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member