Unless it’s an urgent update, we have to wait at least every 2 years.
Or just go to another MG dealer. Some are being more helpful and installing available updates for an hourly rate. Which is fair as it can take hours or even a whole day to install all of them

So I got the camden grey today, checked the undertray and they added a steel bracket across the undertray seam. It definitely closed the warping of the undertray cover. The sales guy said it’s a general fix across all the dealerships now, so anyone still got a warped undertray, maybe call up your dealer and see what they can do.

View attachment 24463

Car drives well. The only niggle is there’s a bit of rattle on the driver side door. Anyone know a simple fix? Silicone lube around the seal? Or pull the plastic cover off and use adhesive foam?

That's looking pretty damn good. I wonder how long before the dealers here will start fitting these?

Good question , since I'm not an MG4 owner I don't know how you'd opt in

Were owners of the Aussie excite 51 emailed to let them about the free software update enabling OPD , for the small batch of cars that didn't have it enabled?
I wasn't. The dealer didn't find out about the bulletin until I called them and they looked it up.

Were owners of the Aussie excite 51 emailed to let them about the free software update enabling OPD , for the small batch of cars that didn't have it enabled?
Maybe you could ask your media contact:
A: How does an owner ensure they are on that list?
B: Has MG Australia sent any communications to that list to date?

I have a feeling I know the answer and it will be silence.

Or just go to another MG dealer. Some are being more helpful and installing available updates for an hourly rate. Which is fair as it can take hours or even a whole day to install all of them
It's only fair if the update requires someone many hours of labour to do the job. If the update just requires someone to set it up and start it, leaving the car to do its thing and check it when done, then charging for hours of labour would be a rip off.

If an update requires someone to sit in the car the entire time to supervise, then that's a dreadful system.

As to going to another dealer, it's not really an option in regional Australia. I'd be up for the expense of an overnight trip.

It's only fair if the update requires someone many hours of labour to do the job. If the update just requires someone to set it up and start it, leaving the car to do its thing and check it when done, then charging for hours of labour would be a rip off.

If an update requires someone to sit in the car the entire time to supervise, then that's a dreadful system.

As to going to another dealer, it's not really an option in regional Australia. I'd be up for the expense of an overnight trip.
We have been told previously that updates require a technician to babysit the car repeatedly pressing Y or N to select the right combination of updates and confirm them. So it is a time-consuming "dreadful system".

Hopefully MG are working on something more automated.

Well, we could ask MG but it’s impossible to contact them. They just send enquiries back to the dealer, or take details for “a team member to get in touch” … and then never make contact. Maybe your “media contact” could point people in the right direction next time you are in touch with them?

Last edited:
The only niggle is there’s a bit of rattle on the driver side door. Anyone know a simple fix? Silicone lube around the seal? Or pull the plastic cover off and use adhesive foam?
I have an occasional rattle (more of a ‘buzz’ really) in the driver side door too! Seems to only happen above about 70km/h.

I’m wondering if maybe it’s just a cable or something not secured properly and vibrating against the trim. I’ve thought about pulling the door apart but not sure where all the trim clips are so I know the best locations to pry off first 🤷‍♂️

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a game of ping-pong to me. MG to Dealer, Dealer to MG, etc etc etc.
Or the chuckle brothers, to you, to me,
to you, to me, etc etc etc. 🙄🙂

I have an occasional rattle (more of a ‘buzz’ really) in the driver side door too! Seems to only happen above about 70kmh

I’m wondering if maybe it’s just a cable or something not secured properly and vibrating against the trim. I’ve thought about pulling the door apart but not sure where all the trim clips are so I know the best locations to pry off first 🤷‍♂️
Hi all rattles vibrations are warranty related all cars sold have a built in amount that is used for reimbursement to the dealer.
I would report all faults so a paper trail is created for later reference.
Problem is some dealers care some don’t.

I have an occasional rattle (more of a ‘buzz’ really) in the driver side door too! Seems to only happen above about 70kmh

You just described the same issue on mine. I think the typical issue based on the internet is the plastic vibrating against the metal door. A perimeter of plastic or foam seal seems to be the general fix.

Good to know it’s covered under warranty. I’mma give it a couple of weeks to “settle down”, then if I’m still bothered by it I’ll take it back the dealer. If they wont fix it then I might go DIY.

You just described the same issue on mine. I think the typical issue based on the internet is the plastic vibrating against the metal door. A perimeter of plastic or foam seal seems to be the general fix.

Good to know it’s covered under warranty. I’mma give it a couple of weeks to “settle down”, then if I’m still bothered by it I’ll take it back the dealer. If they wont fix it then I might go DIY.
I pulled mine off to replace the speakers. There are a ton of clips around the edge of the trim.

I highly suggest a trim puller tool and to pick up a pack of spare clips since I broke a heap getting it done.

Somehow charging at home is only giving me 1.3-1.4 kW. I thought the standard household wall socket is 10A, so roughly 1.8-2 kW. I checked the charging setting in the car and it’s showing maximum amperage.

Is there something I’m missing?

Last edited by a moderator:
On consumer grade outlets, the rule of thumb is to only allow continuous use at 80% of rated. So in Australia that's 8 A, or about 1.9 kW at the wall. Our granny "charger" is set to 8 A. Then there are losses, charging the auxiliary battery and 12 V loads through the DC-DC, and you end up with about 1.3-1.4 kW to the HV battery.

Once the car has finished needing some of the power for auxiliary systems (e.g. charging the 12 V battery) then it can use that power for the main drive battery charging. I have seen 1.6 kW using the MG supplied granny charger. But that's about the limit.

Here's a sequence of granny charge rates changing over time going from 1.2 kW to 1.6 kW:

F0A66F0A-BACB-4E2F-A266-7B505C87DD41_1_102_o.jpeg
3BC4CA62-A85F-4D12-9F60-A5CABC310993_1_102_o.jpeg
E13D425E-DC14-445E-BE9F-8D8FA2F0002E_1_102_o.jpeg

And it can drop back again later on if the car wants some power for those other systems. The mere act of observing the charge rate requires power which might trigger the 12V battery charging to start, or if you do it by getting in the car the aircon turns on, etc.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 519 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back