I pulled the front number plate off and removed the plastic part it mounts to yesterday. The slim numberplate looks far better with it removed.

As an interesting side effect, it seems to have removed the rattle I was hearing too. I thought it was in the dash but it might have been the numberplate not being secured tightly!

Please read the thread 'MG in Australia', currently on Forum page 2. Go to post 676 on the penultimate page of the thread. Answers your question.
Thanks, have read, and makes sense that they have supplied Aus 8amp granny if we have 10amp outlets but its disappointing that the marketing leads to believe you will get 2.3 (as you factor that in to your driving history before purchasing.
But why am I only getting 3.6 from a 22kW charging station?

Aus 8amp granny if we have 10amp outlets but its disappointing that the marketing leads to believe you will get 2.3
What marketing material is that?

There is no mention in the published technical specifications / brochure about the supplied charge unit being able to supply 2.3 kW.

You can certainly buy a higher power charge unit. But you will want to be sure your wiring and outlet is up to the job. The best option for car charging is to have a dedicated circuit fitted. For a basic plug in unit, a dedicated 15 A outlet is handy but many have a 40 A dedicated circuit fitted so a 7 kW wall unit can be safely powered.

How do you know it is a 22 kW charge station? Perhaps it has been set up as an 11 kW 3-phase station, in which case you will only get 3.6 kW max.

Could you be using a BYO cable and it's only rated at 16 A?

Otherwise, as above, it's likely an 11 kW charging station. Rare in Australia, I believe. Or a 22 kW station that is dialled back to 11 kW (16 A max per phase, and you can only use one phase) for load sharing or other reasons.

Here's a different question. Is it just me or is the MG4's headlight high beam focussed too high? I've only used high beam a few times but it seems in my case to be focused too far above the road. I kind of get a gap between the cover of the low and high beam.

This has been reported before. Instructions are elsewhere in this board (in a relevant thread) as to how to adjust the lights.

Here's a different question. Is it just me or is the MG4's headlight high beam focussed too high? I've only used high beam a few times but it seems in my case to be focused too far above the road. I kind of get a gap between the cover of the low and high beam.
There's a little roller wheel around bottom right of the steering wheel, just above your right knee, with 0, 1, 2. That adjusts the headlight height. Give that a go and see if it helps.

With only a driver in the car and no weighty luggage then setting 0 should be what's used, and the lights should have the correct alignment. The problem seems to be that some cars have misaligned lights.

Head light should be set on pre delivery using a head light aiming tool, same as for roadworthy inspections NSW pink slip.

Ok so some further testing with the scroll wheel reveals that it only adjusts the height of the low beam lights. The high beam lights are fixed and in my case too high. Definitely a visit to the dealership coming up.

The high beam on my 4 is too high as well. It is in the trees. I rarely drive at night & the low beam is fine. The adjustments are best made using an appropriate aiming mark from a set distance so although I have read the thread on how to adjust the high beam (it seems fairly easy) and found the adjustment screws, I think it is best left to the dealer as they can set the aim with their jigs based on the height of the beam from the cars headlights.

After 5 weeks I finally was transferred to the Red Energy EV plan. It has been one screw up after another for what was supposed to take 5 business days. Now that I am connected some of the issues I had sought confirmation on when signing up are turning out to be falsehoods (surprise!).

They have admitted the information provided to me during sign up was false. They have also admitted in writing they are ignoring my meter tariff assignment despite assurances they would not. What are they doing about it? SFA.

Gotta love power companies.

Anyway, this is the first weekend I've had with the free energy period applying from 12-2PM. I had some automations set up to charge the car and also fast charge the home battery.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter (2).gif

I was going to also run the water heater at full power but it had already completed heating the water by 11AM via the solar PV diverter.

Managed to put 13 kWh into the car today, with 8 kWh being from the grid during the free period, the rest from solar PV. Total cost about 50c of foregone feed-in credit for 75km of highway range. I did not run the EV charger at full power, just wanted to test it all out first. I need to be a little cautious as we operate on a 32A/phase supply limit.

Will do the same tomorrow but I think it'll reach 80% SOC pretty quickly.

I've got the car booked into a dealership next week. Oddly they want to charge me for adjustments to the headlights. Will be an interesting debate when the time comes...
I would ask if it was checked on pre delivery, if u want to be extra cheeky ask to c the head light tool , requirement for AIS station in NSW most are in poor condition and not readily accessible 👍

I wonder when MG are going to resolve the nationwide outage of their iSmart and car connectivity services? It's been down for about a week and there are a lot of unhappy campers out there in MG EV land. Seems the remote services are pretty popular with people using it quite a bit. Charge management, pre-heating of car and battery etc.

Seems I picked a lousy time to see if I can integrate the MG data into my home automation system. It's proving to be a little more challenging than I'd first hoped but I'll keep plugging away at it.

I wonder when MG are going to resolve the nationwide outage of their iSmart and car connectivity services? It's been down for about a week and there are a lot of unhappy campers out there in MG EV land. Seems the remote services are pretty popular with people using it quite a bit. Charge management, pre-heating of car and battery etc.

Seems I picked a lousy time to see if I can integrate the MG data into my home automation system. It's proving to be a little more challenging than I'd first hoped but I'll keep plugging away at it.
That's odd..mine has been working okay in Adelaide.

I would ask if it was checked on pre delivery, if u want to be extra cheeky ask to c the head light tool , requirement for AIS station in NSW most are in poor condition and not readily accessible 👍
I'm going to a different dealership. Never going back to the one who sold me the car once they've installed my towbar kit.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's odd..mine has been working okay in Adelaide.
Lucky.

There are heaps across the country reporting issue on the forums and FB groups. See this thread for instance:

It's certainly not working for me - connectivity to the car has died, no more 4G data service.

Lucky.

There are heaps across the country reporting issue on the forums and FB groups. See this thread for instance:

It's certainly not working for me - connectivity to the car has died, no more 4G data service.
Wonderful... Maybe I need to do some more digging around for info on OVMS and MG EV's...

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back