Anyone having issues with using the MG iSmart app? It was working up until Friday then it just refused to connect to the car. Cant check status, charging management, etc. I thought it might be the app’s server issue. Until today it’s still the same. Wondering if I can try to unbind/rebind the car.

the iSmart app has always worked for me including the week just gone. Just checked again and it connected immediately as it always has.

I have been using it to start and stop battery charging based on the amount of solar power I am generating. I leave the charger operating at 18 amps as when there is a good sunny day after other things being used in the house I am exporting around the maximum of 5kW so using about 4.1kW of that to charge the car. If it clouds over I just stop the charge with the App.

the iSmart app has always worked for me including the week just gone. Just checked again and it connected immediately as it always has.
You are one of the lucky ones as it's an outage affected owners nationwide. Mine is not working, hasn't for some days.

Gave the Red Energy free tariff period a hit today, ramped up the charger to max, as well as the home battery and water heater.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter (5).gif

I'm part way through trying to connect my home automation system to the car. I've sort of got it working but not quite.

It seems weird that if there is a nation wide outage of iSmart, why does mine still work? My assumption is that the app is communicating to the web via my home WiFi & the car is communicating to the web via it's Vodafone E-SIM. Logic tells me that if the communication is OK & the car is receiving & providing data and the app is doing the same then everything should work. In my case it is.

The one variable is that I do not ever log out of the app and if I did log out I may not be able to log back in so there would then be no link so therefore a system outage. If they do a major server reboot then my login data would disappear.

It seems weird that if there is a nation wide outage of iSmart, why does mine still work?
No idea but the outage is being reported widely across the country. Many have contact MG about it, myself included. More in that other thread and especially on Facebook MG Owners groups.

Many on this forum reporting same thing:

One on a different forum got a message saying MG are working on some server issues. Others are saying it's a connectivity issue with Vodafone.

The lack of information from MG on the outage isn't helping.

It seems weird that if there is a nation wide outage of iSmart, why does mine still work?
My guess is that one of the mobile networks is no longer talking to the cars and/or to the MG servers.
Others are saying it's a connectivity issue with Vodafone.
For example, Vodafone. Vodafone is by far (I believe) the smallest of the 3 mobile networks, but those that find the app working don't tend to post about it. So it tends to feel like a national outage. Especially if MG haven't set it up to try another network if the one with the strongest signal fails.

I have been using it to start and stop battery charging based on the amount of solar power I am generating. I leave the charger operating at 18 amps as when there is a good sunny day after other things being used in the house I am exporting around the maximum of 5kW so using about 4.1kW of that to charge the car. If it clouds over I just stop the charge with the App.
I never had an issue with the app until yesterday. I had the software upgrade a couple of weeks ago and have had glitches. Now it can’t find the car anymore Anthony

Mine went down Thursday sometime, only noticed trying to start the Aircon after work.
Signals bouncing from none to full to one bar of 3G, for a micro second it had one bar 4G before it switched to no signal (was full bars 4G prior to the issue). My car connects to home wifi so weather updates there, just no iSmart connectivity, looks like that parts hard locked to cellular connection.

Frasercoast-QLD

Yes, I got mine back today after a bit of a fiddle:

And in other "news" I managed to get the Home Assistant integration working. I can now see a whole raft of data in HA and can also activate a range of controls:

Screen Shot 2024-03-25 at 7.07.04 pm.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-25 at 7.07.35 pm.png

Much work required to create a nice dashboard. Also means I can set it up so both the wife and I can access the car's systems on our phones.

Will be able to do some logging of key data, as well as have some automations and alerts for anything needing attention.

Is anyone using third party accessories in their car? How you finding their usefulness? Anything you find that is a must-have and would recommend to others?

All I've got at the moment is some glossy striped stickers for the rear doorstep so the kids dont scratch the plastic with their shoes.

Not much. Type 2 cable, yet to be used. MG floor mats. V2L adapter which I've tested a couple of times. Looks like it might get some work in a couple of weeks as we have a scheduled long grid power outage for some power pole maintenance.

I have an OBD reader, not using much. The short 50cm genuine Apple cable is the only one successfully and stably connecting my phone for Carplay.

Is anyone using third party accessories in their car? How you finding their usefulness? Anything you find that is a must-have and would recommend to others?
Like you I added step protection. My kids are already demonstrating the value of it!

I have the snapshades front windscreen shade too. They're not cheap, but they are miles ahead of the $20 crap you buy elsewhere. Fit's perfectly. I have one in our other daily driver (Corolla) and was happy enough with it to purchase again for the MG4.

Also have a dash mat. I don't like them but my wife and kids have a tendency to chuck stuff onto the dash and scratch it, so it's there out of necessity.

The central armrest storage boxes are really cheap too, so I picked one up and have been surprised by how useful it us. The armrest storage is quite deep and the storage box brings everything up to a convenient height.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 499 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back