MG4 Standard tyres are seriously dangerous!

That's for the EU base model with 16" wheels. UK models have always come with 17" wheels and Chinese version Continentals, until the Phase 2 cars that came with 18" wheels and Bridgestone tyres.

Good to know.
As you can see from the link I am based in Germany.
Standard version here has 16" tyres on steel rims

The early MG5s were fitted with appalling tyres when new.
the fronts made 10,000 miles but were useless from day one
New Uniroyal tyres transformed the car
Living in Wales I can only do 20mph now so porridge would do now !

My Phase2 SE LR has the Chinese 17" Conti's. Just looked our BMW 320i Touring and the original Bridgestone's on the front are Polish and the rears (recently replaced) are South African.

My Phase2 SE LR has the Chinese 17" Conti's. Just looked our BMW 320i Touring and the original Bridgestone's on the front are Polish and the rears (recently replaced) are South African.
Yeah - I think it's just the Trophy (and ER?) models which come with 18" wheels and Bridgestones. (Does the X-Power use the same tyres too? Or are they "better" ones?)

I’ve recently took my MG4 LR in for its first service, technician reported all 4tyres have tread depth of 5 and a bit left which is half worn, but the car has only done 3800 miles which means that I’ll need a full set in another 3000 miles? That’s ridiculous!

At least the car has proved itself to have 50/50 weight distribution 🤦‍♀️

Last edited:
Do you know for sure what the starting tread depth was? The tyres on my MG5 lost 1mm in 4K miles.
I’ve no idea what the starting tread depth was but I’m the first owner, assumed the tyres must have full tread depth?

Edit: just re watched the video again, the front set 5.5, 5.4 and the rear set just under 5mm which tallied with rear wheel drive set up.

Last edited:
I'd seriously doubt the tyres started with 11mm of tread depth. More typical is 8-9mm. Still seems excessive wear though for only 3800 miles.

Bridgestone Turanza here in Australia on the Essence 64. Made in China.

235/45 R18

8E19E69B-3200-4971-B01F-D77DE49F6035_1_105_c.jpeg

Have also noticed some uneasiness in winds, not sure how much tyres would impact that, seems more an aerodynamics issue.

I'd seriously doubt the tyres started with 11mm of tread depth. More typical is 8-9mm. Still seems excessive wear though for only 3800 miles.
We need people receiving their new MG4 to measure the tread depth.

Edit: sometimes cheap tyres come with less tread depth, might be a factor?

Last edited:
We need people receiving their new MG4 to measure the tread depth.

Edit: sometimes cheap tyres come with less tread depth, might be a factor?
The way tyre life is measured is sometimes only down to 3mm. So 8mm new to 3mm replacement means at 5mm the tyre is 50% worn.
The legal limit is 1.6mm tread depth.
But most tyres lose most of their characteristic by the time they reach 3mm if not sooner.
The stock conti are pretty soft and wear out fast that’s for sure.

Last edited:
The way tyre life is measured is sometimes only down to 3mm. So 8mm new to 3mm replacement means at 5mm the tyre is 50% worn.
The legal limit is 1.6mm tread depth.
But most tyres lose most of their characteristic by the time they reach 3mm if not sooner.
The stock conti are pretty soft and wear out fast that’s for sure.
If you want hard wearing tyres get a set of Michelin Xs. My brother had a set on his second-hand Morris Marina, yes it was a few years ago, and they had 2mm of tread on them. When he sold it 3 years and 18000 miles later they still had 2mm of tread. Ming you it was a right 🤬 in anything but dry conditions.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back