MG4 Trophy Focus Warning Alert (Fix incoming)

I don’t see a thread with focus warning in the title. For SEO purposes, there needs to be one.

It’s beta software in a release product, then. This feels like similar to the initial software in the ZS EV. The MG software people aren’t awesome. My background is software development. Remembering settings is a basic requirement that I would have ensured happens on the car out of the box.
I couldn't agree more. If you have the ability to change settings then surely save them. If this happened on your mobile phone there would quickly be an update to resolve it.

It is not unusual for settings that are designed for "safety" to reset or self enable when the car is switched on again. Some cars even reset the autohold everytime you turn off the car.
True. I had to switch off the VESS electronic noise and switch on auto hold in my Ioniq every time I got in it. VESS you can understand. Auto hold, no. In this regard my Tesla is better since it remembers settings. Tesla have really nailed the software aspect. MG haven’t. Maybe it’s because their cars aren’t part of one ecosystem. Or because, as I say, their coders aren’t great.

Something as irritating as this driver monitor can distract the driver, so I think it’s a net negative safety feature on the MG4 Trophy as it stands.

Last edited:
It is not unusual for settings that are designed for "safety" to reset or self enable when the car is switched on again. Some cars even reset the autohold everytime you turn off the car.
If it worked and helped safety I would maybe agree even though you should have the option to switch it off.

But I tried looking straight forward, not moving my head. It detects your eyes, if you look to your side mirrors for 2 seconds it alerts. If you wear sunglasses it alerts, if you need to look sideways or your blind spot or something it alerts... so extreamly distracting and doesn't help one bit.

I turned the lane assist off which does stay off because it nearly crashed me when going through a large puddle in this recent weather.

Well hopefully they fix this in the Trophy before my partner gets one. It’s going to be a while and if MG react like they did with the ZS EV, they should fix it in an update relatively soon.
I agree that it is a software issue and that there are number of improvements that could be made including an option to remember user preferences for drive mode, regen setting, pilot settings etc.

Yes, MG were pretty reactive to fix some of the issues with the earlier software, but they actually introduced some bugs too so some of us had to have the software updated more than once and some owners got charged for the privilege.

Oh and I don’t think it’s the best idea for dealers to be demoing the Trophy while this is issue persists. It’s going to put potential customers off.
Most are using the SE for test drives in my experience so it's likely not an issue.

Yes, MG were pretty reactive to fix some of the issues with the earlier software, but they actually introduced some bugs too so some of us had to have the software updated more than once and some owners got charged for the privilege.

Is there a way to report these bugs to MG as a collective group? Are more likely to respond and address these issues if a big group were to contact them?

I took my mg4 out last night and I'm finding the constant drowsiness/fatigue warnings to be dangerously distracting. Who on earth thought that a good safety feature would be a flashing icon and message on a dashboard, when looking at the message simply triggers a repeat warning? In the dark this is obviously more noticeable, and at a time when concentration needs to be less distracted by pointless messages.

I expect this to be a good reason to hand the car back within the 30 day period if not remedied very soon.

I had a second test drive yesterday and the alertness monitor kept going off constantly, both for myself and my wife. Really distracting even with the sound deactivated. As most of our driving is a higher speed roads I dont think I can live with this. Really dissapointing as it is the only real criticism I have of the car. Hopefully this can be sorted out quickly as I will not order until then.

I think it's going to be. Possibly before you take delivery if you decide to order.
The answer I got my customer service at MG was it doesn't save the settings because that's the way its been made and there's no plans to change it.

I also complained about MG St Helens because their service department fobbed me off and one thing customer service said its human nature not to offer the same service as someone who bought the car from them as I didn't buy it from them. I was a bit shocked at that answer and said I should get the same level of service at any MG service department. So I'll never deal with St Helens MG again.

I think it's going to be. Possibly before you take delivery if you decide to order.
That’s good to hear, Stuart. It is a brand new car on a brand new all electric platform, so we should expect teething problems. It’s the way that MG and dealers deal with those problems that can aggravate or placate the situation, so I’m glad to hear that.

The answer I got my customer service at MG was it doesn't save the settings because that's the way its been made and there's no plans to change it.

I also complained about MG St Helens because their service department fobbed me off and one thing customer service said its human nature not to offer the same service as someone who bought the car from them as I didn't buy it from them. I was a bit shocked at that answer and said I should get the same level of service at any MG service department. So I'll never deal with St Helens MG again.
Definitely, you should expect the same level of service. In my work I always strive to give the best to the customer, whether they be new, loyal, a stranger off the street. Perhaps that’s just my nature? 🥴

I took my mg4 out last night and I'm finding the constant drowsiness/fatigue warnings to be dangerously distracting. Who on earth thought that a good safety feature would be a flashing icon and message on a dashboard, when looking at the message simply triggers a repeat warning? In the dark this is obviously more noticeable, and at a time when concentration needs to be less distracted by pointless messages.

I expect this to be a good reason to hand the car back within the 30 day period if not remedied very soon.
@Miles Roberts CG Mentioned on the MG EV facebook group that they are expecting an update to sort this in the next couple of weeks.

Without the sound on it's liveable with till that happens. Quite common for there to be some sort of software issue that might need patching in the first batch. It's what we get for being early adopters of the MG4!

Is there a way to report these bugs to MG as a collective group? Are more likely to respond and address these issues if a big group were to contact them?
Probably. When the ZS was released there were numerous issues relating to slow start up and 'bongs'. @Miles Roberts CG was proactive in gathering a list and presenting that to MG. Most of the issues were subsequently resolved by software updates. Some dealers applied these fixes free of charge, but others made a charge to apply them.

I'd send MG customer service a polite informative email asking if they expect that level of service from one of their distributors. You might not get a reply but if they don't know what's happening they can't do anything about it.

I'd send MG customer service a polite informative email asking if they expect that level of service from one of their distributors. You might not get a reply but if they don't know what's happening they can't do anything about it.
Customer service MG were the ones that said that to me. Basically all MG's are independent and therefore they cannot control how each place manage the service departments. Basically no help atall.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back